What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA/MG Mystery/Suspense novel set in Liverpool or Blackpool, with references to King's 'The Gunslinger'

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart | 1 comments I read this book in 2007/8 when I was in sixth or seventh grade, having taken it out of my elementary school library. I distinctly remember the cover being a Heart rate monitor read out, possibly in red.

Plot: A boy and his mother move back to either Blackpool or Liverpool, where the boy was born. They may have moved in with an uncle or the mother's parents. I believe I recall the mother having to take care of her sick parents/father, which was the reason for the return to the city. The boy has not seen his father since he left the city as a child (he is now a teen).

The father is some sort of gangster or drug dealer, which may be why the boy and his mother left the city. The father reintroduces himself to the boy against the mothers wishes, and the boy initially wants nothing to do with his father. Over the course of the novel, the father is revealed to be a very charismatic individual, who slowly wins over the boy while still being a criminal.

Throughout the novel the story cuts away to the POV of a hitman, who is associated with Stephen King's "The Gunslinger" (I believe the most repeated line is "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"). The boy and his father are aware of the threat, and the boy at least is aware of the 'Gunslinger' connection.

As the novel ends, the boy finally reconciles with his father and begins to love him again, but just before his father drives off, he notices that the passenger (his father's best friend, or perhaps just a criminal associate) is reading the Gunslinger. The father pulls away before the boy can process this and is killed by his associate moments later (also possible that the death is only strongly implied).

All help is appreciated, but my replies may be slow :) Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Stuart, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Stuart, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.