Around the World in Books discussion

In Arabian Nights: A Caravan of Moroccan Dreams
This topic is about In Arabian Nights
Morocco > Discussion about our May book In Arabian Nights starts here

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
Discussion of our May 2015 book, in Arabian Nights: A Caravan of Moroccan Nights starts here.

Got it! From my local library. Can't wait to dive in as I read the Caliph's House by Tahir Shah and its one my favourite books of all time.

message 3: by Elizabeth (last edited May 18, 2015 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

This book was a disappointment for me after reading Shah's previous book, The Caliph's House which about the author's family's relocation to Morocco. That book was funny, the narrative flowed well and I learned a lot about Morocco. This book has an interesting theme, that being seeking wisdom by finding people who continue the oral story telling tradition. It is also a tribute to his father who was a storyteller and took a great interest in preserving traditional stories. The narrative is a bit disjointed, for example, it was at times difficult to remember the characters he met on his journey as they reappeared later in the book. Maybe could have a used a good editor. However, a good idea to attempt to portray his journey to honour his father and seek out those who continue the oral tradition.

message 4: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Lehman | 29 comments I finally finished the May book. Enjoyed it ..travelogues are a favorite of mine. It renewed my interest to getting around to reading the The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights. I'll probably also read one of his father's books.