The Blood Of Kings Fan Group discussion

To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
This topic is about To Darkness Fled
general > To Darkness Fled

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra (last edited May 02, 2015 01:50PM) (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments A topic where we can discus the second book of the trilogy and how completely creepy the dark side of Er'rets is.

I will confess that I haven't read this book completely (I've read the first half and the last quarter, but I got bogged down and skipped forward about halfway through, and my ILL time ran out before I got around to going back and finishing the third quarter), but I still really enjoyed this book.

Such as further delving into Bloodvoicing, because it's even cooler than your everyday telepathy. Vrell and Achan's growing relationship. Vrell's jealousy over Achan even though she doesn't want to admit it even to herself. Achan's surrender to God. (Oh, for the life of me, I can't remember what God is called in this world. Jesus is Caan, I think, but I'm tired and my head is blank.)

My favorite quote is the one which goes to the tune of "The little Cham knelt to pray and the whole earth trembled." I just profound scenes like that.

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments ....We all know what the best thing about this book is, right? IT'S WHEN SIR EAGAN APPEARED!!!!!!!!!!

@Kendra: Arman is the name for God. And yes I loved that line. ...Only you said ChaN. It's ChaM. It's driving me crazy. Sorry....

Darkness is so creepy! I like don't want to go there. At all. Like ever. Though my favorite place in Er'rets is over there so... :P

message 3: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments Arman, yes, THANK YOU! And I fixed the cham line. Sorry about that.

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments THIS IS MY FAVORITE ONE. Which is weird, because in most trilogies I prefer the first or final one and the middle one just feels like filler... But it was different with To Darkness Fled! :) It just feels to me like most of the amazing happened in this one and I just LOVED them traveling around and all the character interaction and meeting new characters and seeing new places... It was just so rich and awesome! ^_^ *happy fuzzy memories* My goodness, I seriously DO need to reread these! O_O

And yes, the darkness is eek! O_o I do not like it, no. *shakes head seriously*

Also am I the only one who at the end was just headdesking and going "VRELL YOU IDIOT NOOO"? XD

message 5: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments There is lots of headdesking and "VRELL YOU IDIOT NOOO" involved with reading the second two books.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited May 03, 2015 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 19 comments OH MY GOODNESS YES. I have that feeling about Vrell from Tsafstown until about halfway through book three and URGH. It's worst at the end of this one, though. There's one scene that I can't even listen to (I don't have the actual book of this one, just the MP3) because hearing her be so stubborn and all . . . IT HURTS SO MUCH.

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Haha, I THOUGHT I wasn't the only one. XD

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments YES. So, so many "VRELL CUT THAT OUT CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT A STUBBORN FOOL YOU'RE BEING" moments. The pain of stubborn characters who mess everything up...

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Arrghhh yes!! The one reason I don't really like Vrell. :(

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments I like Vrell... Sometimes. XD I like her till she looses her memory (Though she drives me CRAZY all the time). Then, not so much. One of the two only things I sort of don't like about the books is that even when she gets her memory back it still calls her Averella. :-/

Who else loves that Achan calls her Sparrow? :D He'll be calling her Sparrow forever. I love it!

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara (sierraaubergine) | 13 comments Mod
ah! Yes, I love when he calls her Sparrow, it's so sweet. :)

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments I...basically call her Sparrow the whole time in my head. And yeah, I'm with ya, Stargazer. That was the only part of the last book I didn't like so much (the whole memory loss and then Averella thing). Averella just sounds too...ladylike and prestigious for her, you know what I mean?

message 13: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments So I guess I'm alone in the fact that I like her memory loss and return to her previous personality and then the blending of the old and the new, and her return to her REAL name. I like the name Averella, and I think it does suit her. But him calling her Sparrow is sweet ... although my favorite of her nicknames is Scratch.

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Same here Kendra, I like when Achan calls her scratch! :) I just don't like how whiny and stubborn Vrell is in the last two books.

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Scratch is funny, yep. The blending of the old and the new is quite interesting, Kendra, but it still drove me nuts sometimes.

message 16: by C.B. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments I love how Achan calls her Sparrow, too. ;) Did it bug anybody else how Achan was almost cruel when "teaching" Vrell to fight? He's not exactly the most gentle.

Also, since I'd had the Sir Eagan spoiler beforehand, I was a little disappointed by how it came about, not quite as exciting as I thought it'd be. And Jax was hardly in it until the end!!!

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments C.B. wrote: "I love how Achan calls her Sparrow, too. ;) Did it bug anybody else how Achan was almost cruel when "teaching" Vrell to fight? He's not exactly the most gentle.

Also, since I'd had the Sir Eagan ..."

Yeah, Achan isn't really gentle, but we love him anyway. :D

Oh, that's sad. Eagan is like my favorite character, and I loved how it came about. Oh, sorry! Jax is in the last one more! I mean, he doesn't have a TON of "screen time" but he's in it a lot more!

@Kendra: I like the name Averella, it's just not "Vrell" if you know what I mean. It's not the girl we went through two and a half books with, and that's what I didn't like. :)

Scratch! Yes! Love that!

message 18: by C.B. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Stargazer wrote: "C.B. wrote: "I love how Achan calls her Sparrow, too. ;) Did it bug anybody else how Achan was almost cruel when "teaching" Vrell to fight? He's not exactly the most gentle.

Also, since I'd had t..."

For some reason I thought that somehow the sword was going to turn into Eagan or something... he's okay, but I like Jax a lot more. And Sir Gavin. ;)

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments C.B. wrote:For some reason I thought that somehow the sword was going to turn into Eagan or something... he's okay, but I like Jax a lot more. And Sir Gavin. ;) "

OH. I can see how that would be disappointing... That would have been awesome. I never thought of that. o.o But yes! Jax is awesome! :D And Sir Gavin. What do you think of Sir Caleb?

message 20: by C.B. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Stargazer wrote: "C.B. wrote:For some reason I thought that somehow the sword was going to turn into Eagan or something... he's okay, but I like Jax a lot more. And Sir Gavin. ;) "

OH. I can see how that would be ..."

Yesss, Jax is one of my faves. Sir Caleb's pretty cool, too. Inko makes me laugh, with all his superstitions. ;)

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments Hey, I'm re-reading To Darkness Fled (again) and at the top of the cover on my copy it says "Action-packed! Imaginative!--publisher's weekly" and almost every time I look at the cover I read it as: "Achan-packed!"... XD

@C.B.: Oh yes, Inko is SO superstitious, it's hilarious! Like when he says "thank Arman it was being the third rock that was hitting me, otherwise I might never have been waking." ...Inko, Inko, Inko... *shakes head* :D

message 22: by C.B. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments XD That's hilarious! Achan-packed it certainly is...

Ah, yes, Inko's often so ridiculous. Does it really matter if it was the third or the fourth rock? NO.

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments ACHAN-PACKED!!! YESSSS. :D

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 19 comments Achan-packed. xD That is AWESOME.

Inko is hilarious . . . but also awesome. :D

Karis Achan packed, indeed! Now every time anyone says that I am going to think of the books.

Inko is awesome! You got to have one Inko to have a really good story.