Booktube Manga Club! discussion

Past Group Reads > Mangaka Month: Yuu Watase

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bribookreviews (new)

Bribookreviews (books_4_bridget) | 121 comments Mod
For this month I thought we would go about it a bit different. Instead of choosing one specific manga, we all voted on a famous mangaka and you guys chose Yuu Watase! There will seperate read-a-long threads for all the more popular works. This will give everyone the option of choosing to read some or even all if they want. This thread can also be used for everyone who wishes to go into furthur discussion about Yuu Watase as an author and her writing and art style. Have fun!

Yuu Watase ( born March 5, 1970 in Osaka) is a shoujo mangaka. She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shoujo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Watase has created more than 80 compiled volumes of short stories and continuing series. In October 2008, Watase began her first Shonen serialization, Arata: The Legend in Weekly Shōnen Sunday.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments I've never heard of this mangaka before. I'll go research her on Goodreads. Any particular titles you recommend most?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I could never finish a Yuu Watase work before. The last time I attempted her work was a few years ago so I'm pretty curious about what I think about them now.

I've never read Fushigi Yugi (original) but I did enjoy the anime a lot when I watched it way back even though I had issues with it. It is also one of her most popular works.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments I've looked over the synopsis of several of her titles, and they seem a bit too "Sailor Moon" to me.

message 5: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Sue wrote: "I've looked over the synopsis of several of her titles, and they seem a bit too "Sailor Moon" to me."

Omg I was thinking the same thing haha! Maybe I'll pretend the mangaka we chose is Naoki Urasawa and continue Monster :P

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments My library had the first two volumes of Arata: The Legend, so I picked them up. I'll give them a try. I also got the last four volumes of Vampire Knight! I read 16 and 17 exactly one year ago, so I'm going to re-read them and then read the last two volumes to complete the series.....finally! I love this manga!

message 7: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Might try Absolute Boyfriend since it's such a short series ^__^

message 8: by Bribookreviews (new)

Adriana wrote: "Sue wrote: "I've looked over the synopsis of several of her titles, and they seem a bit too "Sailor Moon" to me."

Omg I was thinking the same thing haha! Maybe I'll pretend the mangaka we chose is..."

If your not too into the girl titles Arata is her debut shounen series and might interest you more (also there's an anime for this one on crunchyroll) I have read most of these with the exception of Arata and I will be mostly reading that one (perhaps Alice 19th too since that's another title I never got around to reading) Also it's been a super long time since I read most of these titles but I remember reaaaallly enjoying Imadoki and that is a shorter series as well.

message 9: by Nishitamachi (new)

Nishitamachi | 1 comments I read Imadoki several years ago, and enjoyed the story, about a country girl trying to do her best at metropolitan Tokyo. While the story touches things like teenage pregnancy, it did not explore (that) much into the matter, which kept the storyline quite light.
My favorite of hers would be Fushigi Yuugi, the storyline is quite complicated (imo), and the spin off, Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Gaiden, is better than the original Fushigi Yuugi (or I am just biased). I do not fancy reading uncomplete titles, so FY and FYGK are what I am looking for in a Watase-style stories.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments Halfway through Arata, volume 1, and I am enjoying it a lot so far!

message 11: by Bribookreviews (new)

All the info for each series up now! sorry it took so long.

Finished rereading Imadoki and I am just gathering my thoughts before I post anything. I also started Arata the other day and I am quite enjoying it. I read and watched Fushigi Yugi and Ayashi no Ceres soooo long ago but they were some of my favorite back then and I am looking forward to rereading them. :)

message 12: by Adri (new)

Adri (perpetualpages) Bribookreviews wrote: "All the info for each series up now! sorry it took so long.

Finished rereading Imadoki and I am just gathering my thoughts before I post anything. I also started Arata the other day and I am quit..."

Since you and Sue both enjoy Arata, I'll have to try and at least pick up vol. 1!