The Very Omnibus Bookclub! discussion

Book Tags/Quizzes/Games > Book Courtship

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) | 717 comments Mod
Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover?
Phase 2 - First Impressions: A book that you got because of the summary?
Phase 3 - Sweet Talk: A book with great writing?
Phase 4 - First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pick up the rest of the series?
Phase 5 - Late Night Phone Calls: A book that kept you up all night?
Phase 6 - Always on my mind: A book you could not stop thinking about?
Phase 7 - Getting Physical: A book which you love the way it feels?
Phase 8 - Meeting the parents: A book which you would recomend to your family and friends?
Phase 9 - Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you will re read many times in the future?

message 2: by Katelyn (new)

Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover?

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate -I was obsessed with the cover when it came out.

Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck -I was looking for a good series with a good amount of adventure. It's not letting me down so far. :)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern -Beautiful writing.

Phase 4 - First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pick up the rest of the series?

Alienated (Alienated, #1) by Melissa Landers -going with the most recent-read the first book in 2 days and picked up the 2nd right away.

So many over the years but I will go with the most recent one again: Sentinel (Covenant, #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout .

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare -that ending though!!

Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor

Phase 8 - Meeting the parents: A book which you would recommend to your family and friends?
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand and Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman

Phase 9 - Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you will re read many times in the future?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling series and The Infernal Devices Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Katelyn wrote: "Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover?
..."

Oh I love this! I tried to do the Estes one the a saw Sarah did and could only answer like 3 of the questions. This one I can do! And I will shortly.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover?
So many! I am a sucker for an attractive cover. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver That Part Was True by Deborah McKinlay (want) Me Since You by Laura Wiess Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) by Dan Wells If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard I always read the blurb and if it doesn't sound good, I won't bother. I just picked one...
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty I love Liane Moriarty's writing.
Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
I don't really get this one.

Phase 8 - Meeting the parents: A book which you would recommend to your family and friends?
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen I push it on everyone.
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes It's one of my favorites.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover? All That Glows (All That Glows, #1) by Ryan Graudin and a bunch more.
First Impressions: A book that you got because of the summary? Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and the lux series
Phase 3 - Sweet Talk: A book with great writing? The Fault in Our Stars by John Green ,Lux series
Phase 5 - Late Night Phone Calls: A book that kept you up all night? Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Phase 4 - First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pick up the rest of the series? Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu
Phase 6 - Always on my mind: A book you could not stop thinking about? Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Phase 7 - Getting Physical: A book which you love the way it feels? The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle and The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass
Phase 8 - Meeting the parents: A book which you would recomend to your family and friends? Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer , The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle and Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) by Jessica Park and much more
Phase 9 - Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you will re read many times in the future? The Complete Harry Potter Collection Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-7) by J.K. Rowling , Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer , Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Harmon | 28 comments Will have to do this on my laptop instead of my phone but I love this idea. I don't know how far back I can remember but I'll think on these questions. Hoping I don't forget to answer these when I'm on my laptop again.

message 7: by Katelyn (new)

Amy wrote: "Will have to do this on my laptop instead of my phone but I love this idea. I don't know how far back I can remember but I'll think on these questions. Hoping I don't forget to answer these when I'..."

Haha you can answer at anytime! :)

message 8: by Amy (last edited May 04, 2015 02:09AM) (new)

Amy Harmon | 28 comments If I took a week to ponder this I'm sure I'd remember a lot more books that I haven't thought of in years but I'll just try to answer off the top of my head. I also added some more random questions at the end. If someone wants to copy/paste it into a new thread I don't mind.

Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover.
I don't think I have ever done this. It doesn't matter how pretty the cover is, I still need to be interested in the summary most.

Phase 2: First Impressions: A book that you got because of the summary?
A Child Called "It"

Phase 3: Sweet Talk: A book with great writing?
The Host
To Kill a Mockingbird

Phase 4: First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pick up the rest of the series?
Twilight
Ender's Game
J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
Great and Terrible: The Complete Series

Phase 5: Late Night Phone Calls: A book that kept you up all night?
Mayday
Jurassic Park and Congo
Twilight Set
The Host
The Face

Phase 6: Always on my mind: A book you could not stop thinking about?
The Host
Tiger's Curse Collector's Boxed Set
The Twilight Collection
The Screwtape Letters
The Education of Little Tree

Phase 7: Getting Physical: A book which you love the way it feels?
The Host
How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities
New Moon: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1
Tiger's Destiny

Phase 8: Meeting the parents: A book which you would recommend to your family and friends?
The Host
The Twilight Collection
Tiger's Curse Collector's Boxed Set

Phase 9: Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you will re-read many times in the future?
It's extremely rare for me to read a book more than once. However, I may give Tiger's Curse Collector's Boxed Set another read. I complained too much about things in the beginning part of the series but then, after finishing the entire series, I ended up liking it A LOT more than I thought I would. I may want to read it again with more of an open mind than I did the first time through.

------------------------------------------------------
A few other questions I'd like to add (they don't have to do with the above though).

1. Book(s) you were excited to read but then ended up disappointed with.
Don't flog me but I think these books were talked up SO MUCH that when I finally read them, I was very disappointed. I just didn't connect with these books as much as so many others seem to have done.
The Catcher in the Rye
The Alchemist

2. Book(s) that you read when you were younger that effected you so strongly that you feel like it still has an impact on you years later?
Dibs in Search of Self
This book started my love for psychology/play therapy
The Iliad/The Odyssey
These two books began my love for Greek mythology

3. Book(s) that were not what you expected?
Gulliver's Travels was more adult than I thought.

4. Book(s) you really struggled to finish and would never want to read again?
The Metamorphosis !!!!!!!!

5. Book(s) you either wanted to be real stories or to have experienced yourself?
The Indian In The Cupboard Trilogy
The Secret Garden
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set

6. Additional books you loved at one time in your life (any age)?
The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set
Flowers for Algernon
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Little Prince
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein
A Light in the Attic Falling Up
Charlotte's Web
Oh, The Places You'll Go!
The Four Agreements
Bridge to Terabithia
Corduroy
The Tortoise and the Hare
The 2nd to last book was my favorite book to be read to at night and the last book was a favorite because it was the first book that had my name written in the cover and I felt special that it was MY book. I guess the positive feeling of that had an influence on my feeling about the book itself. Plus it has a good moral.

7. Book(s) that you would only recommend listening to instead of reading?
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy This series read by Katherine Kellgren was so much better listening to than if I had just read it myself. She was an amazing narrator for this particular series. I recommend this series for long trips.

8. Book(s) that you would only recommend reading instead of listening to?
I may have liked Tiger's Curse Collector's Boxed Set the Tiger's Curse series earlier on if I had read it myself but I don't know for sure. I loved her sexy voice narration for Ren and Kishan but there were other parts that I didn't care for so much. Of course, any narrator after listening to Katherine Kellgren will never be good enough. She raised the bar pretty high.

9. Books you read begrudgingly because someone nagged you to read it but then were pleasantly surprised?
The Twilight Collection

message 9: by Katelyn (new)

1. Book(s) you were excited to read but then ended up disappointed with.
Wuthering Heights- I know it's a classic but I hated it. Evermore-I wanted to love this soooo bad, I even read the 2nd book but I couldn't stand it.

2. Book(s) that you read when you were younger that effected you so strongly that you feel like it still has an impact on you years later?
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone-started my love of reading.
The Devil's Arithmetic

3. Book(s) that were not what you expected?

A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings-much more violent than expected (I didn't think that was possible).
American Psycho
Dark Places

4. Book(s) you really struggled to finish and would never want to read again?
Anna Karenina-loved it but it took me forever to finish it and now I know the ending and all...

5. Book(s) you either wanted to be real stories or to have experienced yourself?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone-everyone who knows me knows this haha.
Little House on the Prairie-I was obsessed as a kid and used to pretend I was Laura.
Clockwork Angel

6. Additional books you loved at one time in your life (any age)?
The Secret Garden
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck
The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set
Among the Hidden
Bridge to Terabithia
Keeping Secrets-all Sweet Valley series at some point.

7. Book(s) that you would only recommend listening to instead of reading?

Will Grayson, Will Grayson-nothing wrong with reading it but I love the narrators.
If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother-or anything by Julia Sweeney
Bossypants
Ask the Passengers
The Fault in Our Stars
Yes Please

8. Book(s) that you would only recommend reading instead of listening to?
Slammed
Under the Never Sky
--I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

9. Books you read begrudgingly because someone nagged you to read it but then were pleasantly surprised?
The Millennium Trilogy
The Hunger Games
Gone Girl

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Harmon | 28 comments Katelyn wrote: "1. Book(s) you were excited to read but then ended up disappointed with.
Wuthering Heights- I know it's a classic but I hated it. Evermore-I wanted to love this soooo bad..."

Yay! Thanks for answering my additional questions Katelyn. I want to read A Series of Unfortunate Events series. I loved the movie and was really sad that it wasn't received better than it was. I really wanted them to continue with the rest of the books. I am going to add that to my "to read" list.

message 11: by Katelyn (new)

Amy wrote: "Katelyn wrote: "1. Book(s) you were excited to read but then ended up disappointed with.
Wuthering Heights- I know it's a classic but I hated it. Evermore-I wanted to lov..."

I think I will re-read them at some point. I used to love those books so much! :)

message 12: by Katelyn (new)

I forgot to add A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness as one of my most loved books. Such an amazing story.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Harmon | 28 comments Katelyn wrote: "I forgot to add A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness as one of my most loved books. Such an amazing story."

Another book to add to my future list lol. It's going to get much longer fast in this book club. :)

message 14: by Katelyn (new)

Amy wrote: "Katelyn wrote: "I forgot to add A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness as one of my most loved books. Such an amazing story."

Another book to add to my future list lol. It's going to get much longer ..."

It's really great. It's not like it's scary or anything and it's probably meant for older children but it deals with issues in a great way. And I really love the art.