The Blood Of Kings Fan Group discussion

By Darkness Hid (Blood of Kings, #1)
This topic is about By Darkness Hid
general > By Darkness Hid

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments A board where we can discus the first book of the series, its plot twists, evilness, and all those good potatoes.

Some of my favorite things:
(Um ... wow, it's been a while since I read it, so I'm a bit hazy here.)
Achan's lessons with Sir Gavin. I know for a fact that they've influenced my own writing when I do sword lessons.

Vrell and Jax. Lovely friendship there.

Grendolyn. Oh, she was so sweet and refreshing in a world of girls must have RPS to be strong characters. Although, in kinda annoyed me how Achan fell in love with every girl who glanced kindly in his way. I mean, it's kinda the point of the series (well, one of the points) but I honestly had no idea who he was going to end up with while reading this first book.

The plot twist at the end. Now that was brilliance! (Even though I'll admit that I suspected it, I still really liked it, because that's the sort of story that I love reading.)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I loved the first book. I must say, I didn't know what was going on during the first half of it and I was slightly lost, but I got really sucked into the story.
The Blood of Kings is my all time favorite series!!!! It's the only fantasy story that I've really wanted to be real, so bad I could scream. (Not that I will though, I'm not that out of control). ;)
Most of my sisters have read it and loved it, so I'm not alone as a fan. Although my oldest sister started it and never finished, aaarggggh, we're so bugging her about that, she still won't finish it, I don't know why. :(
Okay, I'll stop ranting...sorry about that...*smiles sheepishly*

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments Kendra wrote: "A board where we can discus the first book of the series, its plot twists, evilness, and all those good potatoes."

The potatoes. I'm just dying of laughter over here! So funny! So true!

Yes I LOVED Jax and Vrell's relationship! (Only that makes it sound a little like they're in love, which is totally wrong.)

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments @Stargazer-- I know right...that would be so wrong... but it is funny ;)

And potatoes. Yes. Very important. (Ah, Kendra? I don't even think there were any potatoes in the book...)

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments Amanda wrote: "And potatoes. Yes. Very important. (Ah, Kendra? I don't even think there were any potatoes in the book...)"

There were TONS of potatoes. Which is why I laughed! Near the beginning Achan is always peeling potatoes. Poor guy. You really feel sorry for him...

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments OH RIGHT. Whoops. Huh. Apparently it's been too long...

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments Amanda wrote: "OH RIGHT. Whoops. Huh. Apparently it's been too long..."

Don't worry, I didn't remember the potatoes either ... I just wrote potatoes because ... it was a word, and it sounded good in the sequence, and I do that sometimes. Glad to know I picked something that actually fit, because I usually use spaghetti. (Weird habit of mine, not as bad as not finishing books, but still a bad habit)

Poor Achan.

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments I loved when Vrell went back with what's-his-face into the cave. XD I'm thinking his name started with a P... but I could very easily be wrong.

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Perissimo or something to that effect, I think.

message 10: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Ooh, yes, I think that's what it was!

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments C.B. wrote: "I loved when Vrell went back with what's-his-face into the cave. XD I'm thinking his name started with a P... but I could very easily be wrong."
Yeah that was great. :D He comes up more in the last book...
Peripaso's his name so you guys were close.

Kendra wrote: "Don't worry, I didn't remember the potatoes either ... I just wrote potatoes because ... it was a word, and it sounded good ..."

Haha! I thought you did it as an awesome inside-joke and here it was just because you could! That's hilarious. XD

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Peripaso! I think...

And yes, I forgot about the potatoes! XD

I know I loved this book though, and have very strong mental images of the entire thing, even if I don't remember certain details...

I need to reread these books... o.o Maybe we should do a group-reread of it someday!

message 13: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments WE SHOULD!!! Although, I haven't even read the rest of the series yet. *sigh*

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Well you must remedy that! :D Either with a read-through or before! ;) THE OTHER TWO BOOKS ARE SOOOO AMAZING. You haven't seen ANYTHING yet. XD

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Wow, I love how we're all accidentally making jokes. xD

Yes! Group re-read would be fun, but yeah, kinda need to have everyone finish reading the thing first. :P

message 16: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Oh, oh, I know, I know. I just don't have enough Amazon gift card money left to buy the rest. *sigh* And I haven't found them anywhere else.

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments @Amanda: True. :P Well... a group read as opposed to re-read then. XD

@C.B.: Gaahh, I know the feeling. >.< I don't know if you're into audiobooks though, but the first and second are both available as free MP3 audio files that Jill recorded. :) http://jillwilliamson.com/podcasts/ That would only leave the third one unattainable, which is at least better than 2 and 3. XD

message 18: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments THAT'S AWESOME!!! I don't normally listen to audiobooks, mostly because I don't have any, but that might be nice to do while I crochet. :D

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 19 comments @C.B.: Audiobooks are excellent for listening to while doing crafts of any kind. :D I should know; I started knitting again because I needed something to keep my hands busy while I was listening to the Blood of Kings books.

message 20: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Hehe, I'm almost done downloading all of them, and then I'll start. So... I'll see you guys in a while... XD

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Yaaaayy!! :D :D (I haven't knitted or crocheted in forever. o.o I really should...)

message 22: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments I'm working on a Mother's Day gift. ;)

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments That was the only time I would listen to audiobooks, while crocheting. But yeah, I'm with Deborah...haven't done it in forever. Actually, I did knit like ten baby hats recently (the only thing I've ever knitted besides random squareish things), but other than that...

message 24: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Haha, I can only knit with a loom. I prefer crocheting. I actually crocheted myself some Iron Man fingerless gloves a while back. :D

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments @Amanda: Oh! So I'm not the only one who knits random squareish things!! XD

@CB: Fingerless glooooves! *flail* That's awesome. I'm not advanced enough for that. XD And knitting is way easier than crocheting, I think, though I love both for different reasons.

My, my. From potatoes to crafts... where is this thread going? XD

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 19 comments I knit allll kinds of things as long as they're not super complicated . . . right now I'm working on a shawl, which is coming along nicely. Wristers/fingerless gloves are another favorite project of mine. Depending on the style, they can be super easy- it just depends if you want defined fingers or just an opening like a cut-off mitten.

message 27: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Yeah, fingerless gloves are pretty easy if you find an easy pattern. I must admit, I find trouble doing things in pairs. I did it once, and then I have to do it all over again. XD

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Potatoes to crafts...wow. We're impressive, haha.

I actually find crocheting easier. Waaaaay fewer loops to keep track of at one time and less stress about those loops falling off and messing up things rows and rows down. :P

And I'm with you, C.B., on the pairs thing. xP I get bored of repeating stuff.

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Yeah, crocheting is easier. I'm crocheting a blanket. I know, not that impressive. ;)

message 30: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Yeah, and I'm horrible when you introduce two needles instead of one hook. :P

Potatoes to crafts... my brain does that all the time. ;)

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments My brain does it all the time, too. Actually it usually does something like that with a lot of transitionals in the middle that sort of make sense, but it happens super fast and only the beginning and ending things get spoken aloud, thus confusing people around me and making them call me "random." Me: "Well, it's not random, I just...spared you the rest of it."

I think it's a female thing. :P

message 32: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments XD Well, none of my family seems to suffer from it. ;)

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Wow, really? Both my sisters do. I don't know about my mom though.

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments Hey, hey, hey! Jill's trying to mega-promote this book's kindle freeness today! http://goteenwriters.blogspot.com/201...

You guys know what this means! (Also ... I took the liberty of mentioning this group on the above post, so maybe more people?)

message 35: by C.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.B. Cook (cbcook) | 95 comments Awesome!!! :D I'm almost done with Book 2, and I'll mention the group in my review, which will hopefully bring in some more people.

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Promoting team member ready for action! Thanks for sharing, Kendra, because I usually don't check GTW until the afternoon or evening. :)

Kendra Ardnek | 14 comments Scanning down my blog feed is part of my morning routine, and GTW is usually high on the list. She's trying to achieve #1 status in ... some category - so share all the free!

Amanda (wordfitlyspoken) | 43 comments Shared all the places I can, which is Pinterest, Google+, and here. :P

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Awesome guys!! :)

Karis I was just rereading To Darkness Hid the other day. I had forgotten how good the series was. I've been so engrossed in the Ilyon Chronicles and The Blades of Acktar. When I have been reading Jill Williamson's writing it's been her other works. Personally I love the Blood of the King's trilogy the best among her works. I even got my younger sister to read them and she agrees.

This was honestly one of my first times rereading the series and I shocked by the number of times that Sir Gavin and the others cryptically refer to Achan's real identity. I almost feel in rereading that I should have almost guess the truth. I mean everything points to it.

Sharla (thehonestavocado) | 4 comments I almost didn't finish reading this book because I couldn't get into it at first. I'm so glad I did! (I've re-read the whole series twice now :) My favorite part I guess is how the characters can talk to each other via telepathy. My favorite part of the books were Vrell and Achan's conversations and interactions. I wish there was more to read. Have any of you read Williamson's newest series? King's Folly?

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Sharla wrote: "I almost didn't finish reading this book because I couldn't get into it at first. I'm so glad I did! (I've re-read the whole series twice now :) My favorite part I guess is how the characters can t..."

Their interactions are the best, yes! :D I've read King's Folly and am working through King's Blood (the second one). :)

message 43: by Karis (last edited Mar 27, 2017 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karis Yes, I've re-read the series as well :) The blood voicing is one of the best parts.

I have read some other books by Jill Williamson. She's written two non-fiction books on writing and I've read one of those. Her Mission League series is a lot of fun. I just read the third one in that series. I've read her Safe Land series and her one stand-a-lone book (that has clones in it). But by far, my favorite series by her is the Blood of the King's trilogy.

I've read King's Folly, but I did not enjoy it very much :(

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments @Karis: I haven't read her nonfiction writing books but I really want to! I've read a few Mission League books and the first Safe Lands (I don't care for dystopia though so I stopped. XD) and Replication. I have mixed thoughts on King's Folly and King's Blood so far because they're so well written and I enjoy the occasional humor and some of the characters, but they're also super dark, so... yeah, not for everyone. I don't enjoy the darkness but I do some other parts, do I'm torn. I definitely love the Blood of Kings trilogy the most!!! :D I so need to reread them... Hopefully soon! :)

Karis Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book was the one I read and it was super good!

I don't enjoy dystopia very much either. So, I can say that I cared very much for her Safe Land series.

Yes, King's Folly is rather dark. That's one reason I feel like I should wait a couple of years to read the rest of the series.

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 48 comments Awesome! I need iiiit. :P

Yeah, probably a good reason to wait on reading the rest. :)

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments Sharla wrote: "I almost didn't finish reading this book because I couldn't get into it at first. I'm so glad I did! (I've re-read the whole series twice now :) My favorite part I guess is how the characters can t..."

In a way I want there to be more to read, but it ended so nicely I also don't want there to be more. Though I would like to know if Gren and *SPOILER* get together.... Because I want them too.
Who's your favorite character? :)

message 48: by Juny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juny | 2 comments Did anyone else feel that in the third book she kind of backtracked on some things. Like all of a sudden she changed some peoples characters to be different, like Bran...

Stargazer R. L. | 53 comments Hmm. What did you think was different about Bran? He grew up a lot, and was a bit more grumpy in 3... But I didn't think he was super different? Who else did you think was different? :)
Vrell. . . yeah. Two and a half books of character growth L.o.s.t. Meh. Sad. That was disappointing.
Buuut, I've read those books about 6 times, so I'm kind of desensitized to a lot of stuff. :P

message 50: by Karis (last edited Mar 27, 2017 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karis I agree with you, Stargazer, Vrell seemed to mature so much in the previous two books and then so much of that was lost in book 3. However, you've got to remember she did lose her memory and then when she got it back she was looking at her memories from a different perspective.

« previous 1