Clean Romances discussion

General Chat > Traditional Romances

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 96 comments Hey guys! I was thinking lately about something I found rather curious. On two different occasions I've heard former readers of romance lament how much things have changed in the genre. One was my mom's doctor's front desk clerk and the other was my husband's work friend and his wife. Two people from different walks of life both seeing the change in romance. Although online, explicit romances seem more popular. What gives? Are traditional romances more popular with the offline crowd?

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 170 comments I think they have been for a while but the erotic style in particular became bigger in the offline crowd since 50 Shades came out. That might have been what made them notice the shift.

message 3: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I don't think only offline people like traditional romances. (I'm assuming you mean romances with morals--the HEA) I write wholesome romances and they're doing very well on Kindle. And my fan base is growing.

I'm curious: what did the front desk clerk, and your husband's friend and wife say has changed?

message 4: by Lynne (last edited May 01, 2015 08:49PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 170 comments I don't think Cali was saying that only offline people were lamenting the loss of clean romances. The existence of this group is proof that there are people who are after something else. I do think that more explicit romances are more popular both on and offline. But there are still plenty of people who don't like that as well.

message 5: by Alfie (new)

Alfie Thompson | 4 comments I'm so glad to see this discussion here! In my many years reading and writing traditional romance, the one thing that is most obvious is that everything seems to cycle. "Hot" will be in for a while, then not-so-hot will do better for a while. Cowboys will win over cops for awhile. Then the cops will do better for a while. Some years you can't give away a paranormal book. Then suddenly the genre is what everyone is buying. With the ability to e-pub, I suspect there will always be a great variety available instead of not being able to find the kind of books you liked if that wasn't what was 'in vogue' at the moment even 10/12 years ago. So that change is a positive. I love the ability to be able to find what I like.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Lovegreen (lynn_lovegreen) I agree that there are genres that are trendy, but traditional romances will always have an audience. One I enjoyed recently: The Bride Ship by Regina Scott.

message 7: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 96 comments Groovy, that's a good question. They didn't specify exactly what changed for them, but they all seem to say "it wasn't the same anymore" in a sense. I imagine it was the explicit nature of it since they also mentioned 'old school romance'.

Too true, Lynne! I just noticed this happening between two different groups of people in different walks of life as well a reader friend of mine and her friends. I imagine it could be a sense of exposure since more explicit reads are more popular and thus more eyes see it? But also as Groovy's fanbase shows, more and more discover the goods via word of mouth and when folks love something, more people find out about it. Just thinking aloud. It was an interesting observation from the readers though.

I agree with Alfie and Lynn about trends changing. I'm noticing paranormal romance dying a bit and most of those authors now moving to contemporaries (and maybe romantic suspense holding it's own). I'm glad traditional romances still have fans and more readers interested to check out the stories. :-) Considering Hallmark's popularity and big fanbase that keeps growing on the Facebook page, that's another good sign.

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 170 comments The reason for 50 Shades' success was largely word of mouth, as it was originally a Twilight fanfiction and the fanfiction audience were the first purchasers which then brought it to the attention of others.

message 9: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 96 comments Indeed. I also wonder if the author helped it along thereafter when it was with the small press because she had some good connections as a tv exec. Another author did similar some decades ago but I can't remember who exactly. I want to say Jackie Collins, but don't quote me on that lol. :-)