Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Multiple records, should first edition be separated?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eve (new)

Eve Rickert (everickert) | 17 comments These two records are for the same book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

However, the second record combines the reviews of the first edition with the reviews of the second edition—but they are not the same book. The second edition is substantially different from the first.

Also, the first record lists the author of the foreword, while the second record does not. And the first record has the more accurate cover image.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments It is GR policy to combine all editions of a book, even in the case of revised editions. They should stay together.

Do you know if both editions have the foreword?

message 3: by Eve (new)

Eve Rickert (everickert) | 17 comments No, the foreword is only for the second edition.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I think we should leave it as is, then. Thanks!

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve Rickert (everickert) | 17 comments Wait, but that means you have two separate pages for the same edition of the same book.

message 6: by Eve (new)

Eve Rickert (everickert) | 17 comments So I looked closer. The deal is that the first record, which lists the foreword and has the more accurate cover image (the same image as the other record but with a slightly different colour), is the Kindle version of the second edition. The second record is the print version of the second edition and is the one linked to the first edition.

The print and Kindle versions of the second edition are identical. Both include the foreword. The first edition does not include the foreword.

Is it usual Goodreads practice not to link print and Kindle editions of the same book?

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I thought when I first looked, they were all combined. Another librarian is working on it right now, so I'd better not touch it.

message 8: by Eve (new)

Eve Rickert (everickert) | 17 comments Great, thanks!

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments They should be all combined now.