The Reading Challenge Group discussion

The Moonstone
This topic is about The Moonstone
Buddy-Reads > The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Good to start my first Buddy Read. After reading The Woman in White Cindy, Iasa and I felt compelled to try another of his novels so we decided on The Moonstone. As this is my first buddy read I'm not sure exactly how this works but am happy to follow others pace.

message 2: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I definitely am going to try fit this in! I absolutely loved The Woman in White, and I purchased The Moonstone ages ago. It is awfully long though! :P

Cindy  | 384 comments I noticed it is a long book. I don't have page numbers on my E-reader. I was afraid to look. How many chapters a week should we read?

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments I'm ok with 10 chapters a week if you're ok, it seems realistic for me.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Holly wrote: "I definitely am going to try fit this in! I absolutely loved The Woman in White, and I purchased The Moonstone ages ago. It is awfully long though! :P"

Great, hope it's as good as the woman in white!

Cindy  | 384 comments I read 3 chapters today. So far so good. I didn't know you could take life lessons from Robinson Crusoe. The narrator uses that book like some use the Bible.

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
Lol. I love your comments, Cindy!

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Is it just me or am I getting the impression that many Victorians seemed to marry almost out of convenience rather than love. It's as if.
"Oh there's a woman who's available, she can cook and keep house which ticks two of my boxes, I'll think I'll marry her!" Incredible! On chapter III also.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments *Chuckle* I guess I'll reread for the comedy side!

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think that manner of choosing a mate goes back long before the Victorians. In fact, the concept of marrying for love is much more Victorian than for previous generations.

But, yeah, there were confines of suitability for a mate including social strata. The idea being that if you were socially compatible, you would be able to create a companionable marriage, and thereby contribute to society and/or fulfill your responsibility to the church.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Totally agree Renee, it was almost like an invisible Indian caste system. Funnily enough the Bhramins (or Indian priests) are mentioned in the book as the Moonstone's "protectors".

Cindy  | 384 comments I was amazed with the Indian priests that protected the Moonstone from generation to generation. That is dedication. They are still watching the Moonstone, if my guess is correct about the shadowy figure in the shrubs.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments The guy who's telling this story is like a comedian, I've been laughing quite a bit.

message 14: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
This discussion definitely makes me interested in reading it! I do however, have to get through One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Cindy  | 384 comments I thought it was stupid to keep a rare diamond in an unlocked place. Something did not seem right and I was not surprised when it went missing. I am just starting part 2.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments The Bouncers who kept saying "O" made me lol, just starting chapter 11. Like what I'm reading so far.

Cindy  | 384 comments Are those tears real? I felt the same way Rachel was an odd duck. Something not right with Rachel, maybe guilt.

Cindy  | 384 comments I really like the different characters telling the story. Miss Clack was funny at first, then got a little annoying. I have known a few Miss Clacks. Was Wilkie Collins poking some fun on religion?

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments On chapter 21 at the moment investigation is hotting up!

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Iasa, Cindy have you finished it yet?

Cindy  | 384 comments I finished the Moonstone on May 14. It was such a good book I could not put it down.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments About half way through now, Rachel is certainly a strange one isn't she?

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Finished it finally, I enjoyed it. The narratives really work well, do you think?

message 24: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes. I like the way Wolkie Collins was willing to play with a variety of styles in his novels.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments I may try him again at some point as I find him quite a good plotter.

Keeping busy with the rainbow challenge at present though with Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - at least my knowledge about fishies will benefit on this one...

Cindy  | 384 comments I will be reading some more Wilkie Collins books. I have not read the Woman in White. If you ever want to buddy read some books, let me know.

Monique (monty454) | 130 comments Yes I will. He was a good storyteller, and how interesting to see that the more Victorian novels I read, money always plays a major part, I suppose then it was less regulated and they could get away with a lot more.

The part about being able to read anyone's will quite astounded me. I presume that laws been scrapped now...people would be scheming left, right and center.