Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > Action-packed YA fantasy with strong female MC like GRACELING?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (new)

Jade Togonon (maidenofdragons) | 4 comments Hello! I'm looking for action-packed YA fantasy books with a strong female lead~ Someone who's capable or resourceful (not necessarily a fighting machine.. I just don't want to spend a quarter of a book about self-pity and foolish indecisiveness that puts people in danger).. Books like Graceling, Grave Mercy, Poison Study or Hunger Games are good. I like Ildiko from Radiance though.. A bit of romance is welcome! I do prefer slow-building relationships though.. not really a fan of "OMG he's so hot! I love him already!" stuff =_=

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

message 2: by Harlee (new)

Harlee Have you read Throne of Glass? Celaena is an incredible female character. The Vampire Academy main character Rose is pretty kick butt too.

message 3: by Harlee (new)

Harlee Oh, and this may be a stretch. Can't remember if it's YA but it is definitely fantasy. From the Ashes by Melissa Collins. It's pretty long but the main character Leyna may be my favorite female ever! :)

message 4: by Emilia (new)

Emilia (doctorherondale) | 419 comments Try Red Rope of Fate by K. M. Shae. I found that really good. Red Queen is also amazing and I found The Orphan Queen interesting too. Hope you like them :)

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade Togonon (maidenofdragons) | 4 comments I put the Throne of Glass books on hold already! It seems very interesting!! I'll check out the other books as well! thank you!!

message 6: by Harlee (new)

Harlee I agree with Emilia, Red Queen was great!

message 7: by Emilia (new)

Emilia (doctorherondale) | 419 comments Yeah! It's definitely worth reading :)

message 8: by Stormraised (new)

Stormraised | 39 comments I would suggest Ellie from Tomorrow and Ruby from Darkest Minds

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch when I hear "fantasy with strong female character" this comes to mind

message 10: by Athena (new)

Athena | 78 comments Six of Crows is told from multiple points of view, but VERY good. Inej is resourceful, and so is Nina. This one has a slow building relationship also.
Shadow and Bone comes to mind.
A Court of Thrones and Roses
Scyth
Warcross
The Midnight Jewel
The Queens Rising

message 11: by AAli (new)

AAli (bajiara) | 54 comments America Singer in the selection series by Kiera Cass.

message 12: by Sakhile (new)

Sakhile (sakhilewhispers) | 0 comments Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser features a badass female main character sailor who takes over a pirate ship

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The Diabolic is literally about a fighting machine but it’s so great and she’s a very strong female character!

message 14: by Rasa (new)

Rasa Ievkalne | 42 comments "The last hour of Gann" have one of the strongest female leads I have come across and the book is amazing,the fantasy is believable to the bone.However it is not YA with all rape and cruelty in it.Definetely worth a read. Also "Black mage" is a fantastic read with believable but strong female lead.Captivating story and beautifull love.A book series that you will remember long after you finished.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 659 comments 1. Anything by Tamora Pierce (except her newest series, which has a male lead)

2. Healer series by Maria V. Snyder (1st book is “Touch of Power”)

3. “Angelfall” by Susan Ee

Those are a few off the top of my head :)

message 16: by mysticofworlds (new)

mysticofworlds | 64 comments I would suggest Amani from Rebel of the Sands, Selina Kyle from Catwoman: Soulstealer, and Diana from Wonder Woman: Warbringer

maybe the Bloodlines series (spin off from the Vampire Academy series, but you don't have to necessarily read VA first) and the Winner's Curse trilogy- the heroines aren't strong in the sense that they're amazing physical fighters, but they're extremely intelligent and brave

message 17: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (ink92) | 8 comments Juliett Marillier writes great female characters that aren't necessarily strong in terms of personality or ability but have strong spirit and sense of self. I've always loved the depth she writes into her characters.
Also Maria V. Snyder's Healer books are great and Julie Kagawa's Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden series)

message 18: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Goodwin | 5 comments The Shadow Accords series (6 books) followed by The Collector Chronicles series (3 books) by D.K. Holmberg. These are the first two series that take place in the "The Dark Ability World."

The Truthseer Archives by Mike Shelton. Personally I would recommend reading The Cremelino Prophecy, The Alaris Chronicles, and The Dragon Artifacts first though.

The Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes. Two of the four primary characters are female.

The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. The two main characters are brother and sister.

Rogue Legacy by Jeffrey Kohanek. This is a prequel companion tale to the Runes of Issalia series although I recommend reading the series first. The Wardens of Issalia series that comes after that features several female protagonists as well.