Dubuque Virtual Book Club discussion

May 2015 Discussion > Past Nebula Winners

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carnegie-Stout Public Library (carnegie_stout) | 68 comments Mod
The voting turned up four past Nebula winners that the group is interested in reading and discussing, but feel free to chime in with thoughts on any other Nebula winners (or nominees!) you feel like.

American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman American Gods by Neil Gaiman Winner Best Novel, 2003

Among Others by Jo Walton Among Others by Jo Walton Winner Best Novel, 2012

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon Winner Best Novel, 2008

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes Winner Best Novel, 1967

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
I read Flowers for Algernon in middle school. It was a free reading choice from the shelves in the back of the English classroom. I remember reading it very quickly, and then being surprised by how sad I was at the end. If I had any cool points in middle school, I probably lost them by crying over this book at my desk.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleob) | 17 comments I also read Flowers at around that age and I also cried at the end. They made a movie out of this book in 1968, Charly, starring Cliff Robertson--a real tear jerker!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I also read Flowers at around that age and I also cried at the end. They made a movie out of this book in 1968, Charly, starring Cliff Robertson--a real tear jerker!"

Ooo! I'll have to see if I can track down Charly. Thanks! I had no idea they'd done a film adaptation, but I've definitely seen variations on the general plot in many other movies/TV shows/books.