What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book about snowballs at a cafe - maybe Richard Scarry

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments Hi, Im new to the group and I've been trying to find a book that I loved as a child to read to my own daughter. Unfortunately I can't remember who it was by or what it was called but I do remember the following:

-The main character was some sort of animal, possibly a cat, a lion or a bear and may have been named 'Henry'.

-There was a cafe in the book that sold something called a snowball, I can't remember if this was a food or drink.

-The main character was trying to get to the cafe to get a snowball and something happened which meant he got there really late but luckily the owner of the cafe had saved a snowball just for him.

-It may have been by Richard Scarry.

I know that the above isn't a lot to go on but I would be so grateful of any help that anyone would be able to offer as my daughter is very much like me and I think she would really like the story too!

Thank you in advance,
Katy

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1079 comments Sorry, the book's not familiar but this might help: in Maryland, a "snowball" is a frozen treat made of shaved ice with a flavoring (like cherry or grape) mixed in. It's in the shape of a ball. There's a snowball stand near my house.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments HI Pamela, thank you for the info on snowballs, we don't have them in the UK that I'm aware of! They sound amazing though! : )

message 4: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments They also go by the name of Sno-Kone. I made enough of them over the years to know that well, lol.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4888 comments How many years ago did you read the story?

message 6: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Snowballs can also be a cake that is small and round (like cupcake size) and has frosting (usually white, sometimes pink) and coconut on the outside. Many times there is a cream filling.

Just something else to think about.

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments I'm 32 this year & I would guess that I would have been about 7/8 when I read this book so 1989/1990 x

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Was it a picture book or a chapter book?

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments A picture book x

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Katy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments I’m still looking for this book Lobstergirl x

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1681 comments The cat in Richard Scarry's books was "Huckle"; is that familiar?

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments It doesn’t ring any bells, I’m sure it was Henry or something.

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments None of those I’m afraid but thank you for the suggestions x

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16272 comments Are you sure it was described as a cafe? Could it have been a coffee shop, diner, ice cream parlor, deli, etc.?

Were all the characters in the book animals? Were they all the same type of animal, or different species? Did they wear clothes like Richard Scarry's characters do?

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments Possibly a diner rather than a cafe, yes all were animals, different species and yes they wore clothes from what I can remember

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy Bardwell | 9 comments Another vague memory I know, but I’m sure the story was that the main character desperately wanted to get to the cafe to get a ‘snowball’ but was meant to be doing something to help others before he went and he caused some sort of trouble by not doing the things that he was meant to do and had to go back and redo all of the things he was meant to do before he could go and get his ‘snowball’?!