flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > may flowers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments just finished the goldfinch, a very satisfying read.

lighter, not yet

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments So glad you liked it. I'm working (and sometimes laughing) my way through A Confederacy of Dunces. Also just started what seems to be an absolutely brilliant, wonderful book, 10:04 by Ben Lerner. Hope it lives up to the first 30 pages!

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments lucky you! been trying to get a hold of something by BL...Atchoka Station had on hold till it maxed out.
one day,may I live so long, I will get to confederacy...

but I am content with the books I'm into right now,although content is not the right word for there's some awfully disturbing stuff in peace pipe dreams and I find myself enraged to acknowledge these terrible truths.
have started 1000 autumns

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I own that-I await your review!

message 5: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments peace pipe dreams or the 1000 autumns? the Mitchell book I wanted to read because ( I thought it was you but evidently not) of enthusiastic review...

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I'm going to have to check my books. But I don't remember reading it

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments finally got to check...you are listed as want to read...along with most of my other friends who haven't already given it pretty consistently 5 stars....I am really getting into it myself after awkward start

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I never made it past the first few pages as I remember. I would like to try it again-I like Mitchell a lot but I've had that seem bumpy start to the other ones I've read (Cloud Atlas and Number9dream).

I wish I could read simultaneously. Not as in several books at a time but as in several books at the same time. I can't even get to the books I most want to read at any given time.

And then things like work or other less pressing events (saw the movie Ultron yesterday and then a play with cast members over 55 realizing their dream to sing-that was wonderful) but sometimes I wish I could spend all my time reading.

But there's so much I want to be doing as well. Life is altogether too short.

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments hmmm...I seem to remember answering this here. I am enjoying activating some of the other threads too.

Actually Jacob van Z was the first Mitchell I have been able to penetrate... and it took patience before the story gathered me up. Do go back to it, I have the feeling you'll love it
I have to tear myself away from "the secrets of the soil" to get out there and apply whatever I know right now.

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Sounds wonderful. Enjoy.

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I just finished Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner which I loved, despite its alienated young poet theme. I found it funny and beautifully written. I wanted to just live in some of the sentences.

What else are people reading at the moment?

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments cant wait to read that one but happy with my array right now: my primary book is The Bone Clocks and for morning meditation Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers

both these had rocky beginnings and now fully into.

also reading a surprisingly thoughtful and well articulated book of poems Reality Wayfarers: Poemsand a book about reading to carry on the bus

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments What's the book about reading?

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I liked Goong Home

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Ugh-I meant Going

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments what we see when we read....by peter mendelsund
quite fun