Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Suggestions when setting up a signing

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Kinkade (mekinkade) | 17 comments I'd like to reach out to a few local venues with the prospect of doing a book signing. Does anyone have suggestions for this letter, a template, or any advice? I was planning on mailing the letter with a print copy of my book to sweeten the deal.

message 2: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) | 10 comments I would actually call them to find out who makes the decisions about planning and events. Then send your letter to that particular person because sometimes underlings go through mail and that can be not so good. Talking to the person on the phone might be really good so you can ask what the procedure is and then follow it instead of taking a stab in the dark. The less "salesy" it seems the better.

message 3: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Kinkade (mekinkade) | 17 comments Excellent point, Christi! I get so phone-phobic sometimes!

message 4: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Kinkade (mekinkade) | 17 comments Excellent point, Christi! I get so phone-phobic sometimes!

message 5: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Also, look to find the kind of stuff that authors take to like conventions or similar venues... Like bookmarks or business cards or of course the book... Let us know how it goes

message 6: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Kinkade (mekinkade) | 17 comments Thanks Riley, that's the plan! I saw some authors with awesome "book business cards"--with the cover image on the front and a brief summary on the back--that I'll be emulating as soon as my cover artist has some time.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments I just went to a hotel in my area(I live near an airport)and rented out their bar area(an extended part of it)for a couple of hours. It cost me $200 in food(from the hotel)but it was better than paying $500 for the same room with no food. It was nicer than I could have imagined and people from the bar started poking their heads in(I had signs made alerting passersby of the event)and I made a couple of sales! A big factor of that was I had my book trailer running on the large tv they had in the room(I hooked my PlayStation 3 up to it using the USB port for the thumbdrive containint the trailer) and people were able to see it from the bar area. Also, my antendees were going out to the bar and buying drinks. In fact, a number of them were still there long after I'd gone! You can see the pics of how it looked on my website at www.ericarstinson.com/news.html where I put the photo gallery. I still would like to do another signing, and I am targeting the Barnes and Noble in the town where my story takes place in addition to the ones here in NYC(a very small portion of the story begins here and also I have live here my entire life)

Good Luck!

message 8: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Kinkade (mekinkade) | 17 comments Erica, how did you set it up with the hotel? Just called? How far in advance did you set it up?

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments Literally was just driving past and stopped in to speak to a sales associate that handles the event rooms for the hotel. I did all of this, on a whim, about a month before I published my book. Once that was set, I sent out invites via my website(asking how many would want paperback books so I would know how many to order from Createspace)I ended up selling out and STILL had to order more for people that heard about the event too late and wanted the book(these were friends and family)It was pretty simple. I struggled with trying to do an event to promote my book and didn't know what else to do. I figured the worst the hotel could say was 'no' but we don't know until we ask. My brother had such a good time at their bar, he and his wife and their friends just went over there again one day last week!(my event was on April 9th). I also have a small custom cake shop, so I brought a few dozen cupcakes as well and some Mio(water enhancers)for the water pitchers on the tables. I plan to do it again with this hotel when my next book comes out in December and I already told them this.

message 10: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Erica wrote: "Literally was just driving past and stopped in to speak to a sales associate that handles the event rooms for the hotel. I did all of this, on a whim, about a month before I published my book. Once..."

That's awesome! So glad it went smoothly for you. Now I want to call all of my local big hotels!

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments I think you should do it!

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments The best thing was I created sort of a following on all social media to ensure a big turn out. I sent out press releases to all of my community newspapers too, but I was kinda late with it. This is my first novel and first time doing something like this, as far as event planning. I am a total newb! lol