Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's April Authors

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments They come your way. They bring the novels, we read in May.

The Ophilia Cut: John Lescroart
Decades into this series, the sins of the past seem like they will come to roost on the characters of the present. Our heroes are good and brave, but they have secrets intheir past that dare not come out. (B+)

Death by Hollywood: Steve Bochco
Yeah, that Steve Bochco, the TV writer guy. At some point, all of these guys think they have the chops to do a serious novel, but somehow they bear more f a resemblance to a made for TV movie than a seriously plotted book. I’ll give Bochco credit though, this is a serious effort, has some wonderful twists, and is very entertaining. (B+)

The Girl on the Train: Paula Hawkins
British chick lit. If it were not a new book, I would have sworn I had read it before. Not awful, but not my cuppa. (B)

Memory Man: David Baldacci
A new character, Amos Decker, the man who forgets nothing. His roots resemble Bird Parker in John Connelly’s series, but the character himself resembles no one else. People around him are being murdered and he is a clue, but for all his memory abilities, he does not have a clue. (B)

The Ship that Wouldn’t Die: Don Keith
The story of the fleet oiler, USS Neosho, sunk by the Japanese in the Battle of the Coral Sea. (B)

Full Black: Brad Thor
His superspy brings down a meglomaniac that is bent on the full destruction of the United States. (B)

Black List: Brad Thor
Yet another meglomaniac thinks he can take over the world. Scot Horvath proves him wrong in a hail of lead. (B)

Cuba Straits: Randy Wayne White
White seems to be looking for a way to write himself out of the corner he finds himself in with Doc Ford. He tried to bring in an island half sister. Not too bad, but did not a series make. The he tried to bring in a Brit who was sort of James Bond. That went nowhere. Now he sends Tomlinson and Doc to Cuba to solve a mystery there, and match wits with the KGB. Tomlinson still looks like a fifth wheel to me, but the concept of Doc off on some weird adventures that match his purported skill set might rejuvenate the series. (B)

Path of the Assassin: Brad Thor
Superspy stuff, going after the mideast terrorists.(B)

The Accident: Linwood Barclay
Another suburban mystery, way too close to the Coben, but way different as well. A contractor’s wife dies, a group of women are selling counterfeit purses and such, a cop is dirty, and people are dying. Somehow it all has to fit together. (B)

Rogue: Mark Sullivan
Spy novel, nothing new, the usual superspy stuff. (B)

Hush: Laura Lippman
I’ve felt Lippman slipping away from me for a while. He stuff was becoming both more literary and more chickish. I figured I ‘d take a chance on a new Tess Monaghan novel, but Tess has changed too. Immediately obvious was that Lippman was now a mother, since Tess was one too, and the focus and descriptions were the kind of thing that comes from experience. I’ll grant that the book had a real mystery or two buried inside, but I preferred this series when it was a bit more raw. (B-)

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3765 comments all "B's" this month. nothing stellar. i've only read girl on the train, but won't be rushing to read the others.

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments Nothing to rush for, though it is interesting to see what those screenwriters come up with when they start thinking they are real authors.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3639 comments Well, not really good, but not bad either!

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Might work the Bochco in just out of curiosity, but my list is long.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments A decent month, Barry! I hope R.W. White is able to get back on track with Doc Ford. My turn at the library will be a while, perhaps more are borrowing than buying his new ones these days.
I started Hush in print a few weeks ago, borrowed from the Lucky Day shelf at the library, and couldn't get far enough into it in time to finish it. I could sense the change in Tess and was a bit intrigued.
The Bochco sounds like it might be worth a whirl based on your assessment of entertainment and twists.
Barry wrote: "Nothing to rush for, though it is interesting to see what those screenwriters come up with when they start thinking they are real authors."

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments 12 books, all of them B-ish, isn't so bad!

Interesting to hear your take on the Laura Lippman. I never could get into the Tess Monaghan series, but didn't give it much of a chance. Love Lippman the personality, though, she's a pistol!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry. I'm reading Memory Man right now.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Good month! I'm a Barclay fan. Like him better than Coben actually.