Magick and Occult Books discussion

The Secret Doctrine
This topic is about The Secret Doctrine
Alternative Spirituality > Secret Doctrine

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chris | 42 comments Has anyone read this book yet? I'm almost done with it, I've been taking my time and reading whatever else in between. The ideas in this book are extremely fascinating, and there's so much I don't even know where to begin with a discussion haha. If anyone has read this book or knows anything of theosophy I'm interested in your take on Blavatsky and/or her magnum opus.

message 2: by Dale (new)

Dale Richmond | 19 comments I'm currently wading through Liber ABA and Agrippa, Blavatsky is one of my wish list authors though haha

message 3: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

Sylvia Beckett Davidson (sylviabdavidson) | 56 comments Mod
I haven't read anything beyond excerpts by Alice Bailey - she was really cool! Totally underrated in the general occult/Thelemic world. I think if Crowley had endorsed her she might have been respected today.

Chris | 42 comments @ Dale: Liber ABA is literally next on my list to study/read. What is Agrippa?
@ Sy: I can't lie, at this point I've developed a prejudice for Besant, Leadbeater, and Bailey, or at least "pseudo theosophy". :P
I'm actually interested in learning the history of the Theosophical movement and of Thelema too, so as to extinguish any unfounded prejudices. There seems to be so much scandal involving both. But where could I get unbiased information? Ha. Crowley doesn't seem to be a fan of theosophists but he does hold Blavatsky in high esteem.

message 5: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

Sylvia Beckett Davidson (sylviabdavidson) | 56 comments Mod
When you find some that will be amazing. These older folks were, well, without Internet :P

message 6: by Dale (new)

Dale Richmond | 19 comments @Chris Agrippa wrote the Three Books of Occult Philosophy

message 7: by Alex Sumner (new)

Alex Sumner | 8 comments Chris wrote: "Has anyone read this book yet? I'm almost done with it, I've been taking my time and reading whatever else in between. The ideas in this book are extremely fascinating, and there's so much I don't ..."

A braver man than I! I started with Leadbeater's Textbook on Theosophy, as it was a lot shorter and easier to read :-)

Chris | 42 comments @dale i should have already looked it up on wiki, but it sounds like a must in my occult library, im gonna read a pdf as soon as there is storage on my phone which shouldnt be too long haha.

@alex ha, not brave, i just have way too much time on my hands, the book is quite a beast though ha. I'll call myself brave when I tackle her 15 volume collected writings ha. Itll be a while before i can buy all those lol.

Chris | 42 comments It is (seriously) interesting to note, on page 437 (isbn 0-8356-0238-9) right under the conclusion of Stanza XII in Vol II.:

"In Volume III of this work (the said volume and the IVth being almost ready) a brief history of all the great adepts known to the ancients and the moderns in their chronological order will be given, as also a bird's-eye view of the Mysteries, their birth, growth, decay, and final death--in Europe. This could not find room in the present work. Volume IV will be almost entirely devoted to Occult teachings."

I'd have to read the historical introduction again for more info, but I remember vaguely the idea that Volume III was basically done, as best as people who were acquainted with her could infer. So it begs the question: where are these final Volumes?

Chris | 42 comments Blavatsky's last sentence mentions that the III & IV Volumes would be released depending on the reception of the first two, so evidently she didn't think we were ready. Sheeeeeeit. I may do a review later.