Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Leopard
This topic is about The Leopard
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > The Leopard - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 1216 comments This thread is for discussion of the content of our May 2015 group read, The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. Spoilers are allowed in this thread.

Christine | 1216 comments I'm a little more than halfway into this one now. I was intrigued at the beginning, but I'm starting to feel like I'm losing patience with it at the moment. Anyone else reading this one this month?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Christine wrote: "I'm a little more than halfway into this one now. I was intrigued at the beginning, but I'm starting to feel like I'm losing patience with it at the moment. Anyone else reading this one this month?"

Christine, I've completed.

It really captured my attention at the beginning but in the end, it did not live up to the promise of the first couple of sections.

The high points seemed to be the Prince who was quite detached from everything except his interest in astronomy being jarred to notice little incidents that indicate a lowering/fading of his prestige as an aristo. but I guess this is what the book was about, changes in Italy from the prince's perspective.

The part where the prince explains why he will not take a seat in the senate was interesting.

Christine | 1216 comments I think I would get more out of it if I was more familiar with Italian politics of this period. Unfortunately I don't have time to go read about that too right now!

Christine | 1216 comments I finished it tonight. It was interesting, but kind of depressing. I can see how it is compared to "Gone With the Wind" in that the this aristocrat was experiencing his way of life and position in society being eliminated. I found it really depressing though, and really had to push myself to finish it.

Nathan | 421 comments I thought a lot of the descriptions were very well done. I also really enjoyed the big jumps forward in time at the end. The last two sections were like stepping stones, linking the time of The Leopard with what I know about the history of Italy in the 20th century.

I have several friends outside of goodreads who've read this book and loved it, but I didn't care for it all that much.

Christine | 1216 comments Nathan wrote: "I thought a lot of the descriptions were very well done. I also really enjoyed the big jumps forward in time at the end. The last two sections were like stepping stones, linking the time of The Leo..."

I agree that the book had some wonderful descriptions - holy macaroni! ;-)

Silver | 8 comments I really enjoyed the story. I loved the dry irony in some of the humur and It did have some great moments and descriptions. I really enjoyed the ball room scene.

A couple of things which I wondered about. What was the significance of the story Father Pirrone told about the other Angrlica who got knocked up by her lover and had the 19th century version of a shotgun wedding? Was it meant as a juxtaposition between the lives of the peasants and the nobility?

And what was the meaning of the end of the story? What is the significance of giving Concetta, who other than being the jilted lover did not really play a significant part in the story, the last word?

What was the meaning of having the relics taking away. Is it meant to illustrate the final decline of thier family and prestige?

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Leopard (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa (other topics)