Ravelry Knitters discussion

The Miniaturist (The Miniaturist, #1)
This topic is about The Miniaturist
Group Reading > May group read - The Miniaturist

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
The winner of the May poll is The Miniaturist. I've read a lot of good reviews of this so I'm looking forward to getting started.

message 2: by Mya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mya (myalmg) | 10 comments Awesome! I got this book for Christmas so I'm looking forward to having a "deadline" to read it now!

Penny | 15 comments Oh great - sounds like a good read :) enjoy everyone!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got my copy waiting for me in the library, should be starting it later today. I'm excited, it sounds intriguing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm almost halfway through this book; the first page grabbed me.

Mary Ellen (raven51) I just picked this book up at the library. Hope to start it this evening.

Mary Ellen (raven51) I just finished reading some of the reviews for this book. It seems either people loved it or didn't. I'm only on page 86, but so far I really like the book. It will be interesting to see if the love/hate applies in this group.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm finding it difficult to talk about it without spoiling the story. We may have to wait until end of the month for more discussion. I'm neither loving it nor hating it. I'm beginning to get impatient with the author though. I wish she'd make me not want to put it down. I wish the mystery was as compelling to the heroine as it is to me. She really doesn't spend much time trying to unravel things and too much time involved in the soap opera around her, in my opinion.

message 9: by Mya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mya (myalmg) | 10 comments I haven't gotten very far in it yet but it's not a very compelling story so far. I'm hoping it gets better.

Penny | 15 comments I haven't begun yet but look forward to ASAP. It is interesting that this is a book that has such differing views. Let's see what we think ...

message 11: by Mya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mya (myalmg) | 10 comments I'm half way through now and it has certainly picked up. It has started to get to the point of "just one more chapter" for me as I'm reading. Can't wait to see what happens!

Penny | 15 comments My husband and I listened to it ~ borrowed the CD's from the library. There are so many layers to this story. Without giving away the plot, let me just say that it is sad at times, and the puzzles that the characters are involved in keep the interest. There are places where I hoped for more resolve. Certainly makes you think about circumstances and how they affect many lives.

message 13: by Mary Ellen (last edited May 18, 2015 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Ellen (raven51) I finished the book yesterday. I wanted to give it 4 stars, but there were a few things that led me to give it 3 instead. I liked the book, but I actually found the character of the miniaturist to be my disappointment. Maybe I misunderstood? Looking forward to the discussion.

message 14: by Mya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mya (myalmg) | 10 comments Just finished last night. It was slow going for me at first but once the story took hold I really enjoyed it (although it was quite sad). I had high hopes of finding out more about the miniaturist as well- maybe the author should write a companion book from the miniaturist's point of view.
Reading stories set in these time periods make me really glad I'm a woman living in the 21st century. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think this book was excellent as a period piece about Amsterdam but I would have enjoyed having the mystery/miniaturist developed more. I feel like so many details were kept secret until we were "told" at the end about the whole story. So character development was a weak point, in my opinion.

Mary Ellen (raven51) I think the author did a good job with Nella's development from when she first appeared on the Brandt's doorstep and the end of the story. Also, the twists and turns of the lives of the characters kept my interest in the story. It's like reality, where peoples' secrets are revealed and you learn about their lives slowly. The only real problem I had with the story was that I kept forgetting the miniaturist was even a character until Nella would receive another package. I'm still not really clear on who the miniaturist really was. Not sure how I missed it, but there you are. :)

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
This book has been a disappointment to me unfortunately.

(view spoiler)

I listened to the audiobook, read by the author herself. I'm sorry to say it is one of the worst audiobooks I have listened to. Her style of reading felt so inappropriate for a book written in quite a wordy literary style. It came across as either whiny or overly upbeat and bouncy. Her voice would have been better suited to young adult, or maybe romance. Here in the UK this it is the only audio version available. In the US I see there is another, read by a professional narrator, which seems to be far better from the clip I was able to listen to.

I have only given it two stars but I do wonder if it might have made it to three if I had read the book to myself.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel -- I agree about your spoiler comment. Except I would say, very ridiculous. It might have been possible, with better story development in that direction. I've been reading "Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onnasis" and there's a story of a betrayed wife whose loyalty made much more sense because the author put lots of time into explaining how she was groomed to be the woman behind the man, and that was the foundation of their marriage.

message 19: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I don't know...I think once Nella was able to figure out where Johannes stood, she felt better about what to expect- and not expect- from him.

And I loved the atmosphere. It really was a terrific period study, but the vague magical feel of it was never more explored....and plenty of questions never answered. It was both fascinating and unsatisfying.