Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > NIGHT WATCH: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick LeClerc (patrickleclerc) | 7 comments I loved it, but I'm a big Pratchett fan, and a big Vimes fan.

message 3: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments I think I missed much of the meta layer due to unfamiliarity with the series. It's easily been a decade or two since I read one of the Guards books, so while I knew Sam and dimly remember some of the other names, the politics of the City and the implications for the future mostly missed me (such as with the Madam seeking to replace the ruler and the assassin).

Sam was more developed than most of the characters; I feel like this was definitely a story for readers who had already met everyone or heard the stories.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments Yeah, having read the earlier books definitely helps.

message 5: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 545 comments Mod
I've read quite a few Discworld books, mostly out of order. I liked this one quite a bit (I'm a sucker for time travel stories!), but I think this might be a challenging introduction to the series. Much of the fun from this story is seeing familiar characters as their earlier selves; but, for this work, you have to be familiar with the characters first. I find the Discworld stories almost perfect as audio books. They're the right length, they do unpredictable things that keep me interested and alert while I'm driving, and they make me laugh.

message 6: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments Hmm, good idea for a long drive.

message 7: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments Completely agree with you Chris. While the Discworld books don't have to be read in order (and I read many of them out of order), this one does improve if you are familiar with the state of Ankh Morpork and the watch as they are presently.

Stephen Briggs is also a great narrator for the audiobooks.

My lilac bush is in full bloom at the moment. :)

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments I must say that for a prequel book -- seeing earlier versions of characters to appear later -- it works astoundingly well. I can believe their futures and yet they don't seem trapped.

The moment that sticks in memory is when Vimes thinks on what he would have done, in his own time, if he had been the man charged with removing such a barricade -- namely, tell Detritus to get rid of it.

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
10/10
Although I have yet to read a Discworld book that I didn't love, I have to admit that my favorite books are the Watch and the Death books.

So, here we have Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch, literally sent back in time. He has several responsibilities and there is some typical Watch action (and inaction). But the strength of this book is the up close, personal, and long look we get of Vimes--how he thinks, what he feels, who he is. With quantum stuff thrown in. And a few glimpses of a young Vetinari.

Luckily for me, I have several unread Pratchett books still on my shelf. Might need to schedule a return visit to Discworld soon. I had been reading them in order of publication, for the most part, and skipped a few to read this with the group. Reading the books in publication order, I think, is best for the fullest understanding and enjoyment, although each story can be a standalone.

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 98 comments I enjoyed this - I think I missed a lot but I always feel like that with Pratchett - he is so clever and has SO many references to ideas and things. I like Vimes - he is one of my favorite Discworld characters. And I was glad to read the audiobook suggestion - I have a long trip coming up and this might be a good series for that!

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Kathi wrote: "10/10
Although I have yet to read a Discworld book that I didn't love, I have to admit that my favorite books are the Watch and the Death books.

So, here we have Commander Sam Vimes of the City Wa..."

I also love the witch books. I think its because they were my first. Pratchett could write like no other.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Night Watch (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Terry Pratchett (other topics)