Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > NIGHT WATCH: Roll Call and First Impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you've read or are planning to read Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

Please, **NO SPOILERS!!**

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 98 comments I'm planning on reading it this month. I wanted to put more Pratchett on my list this year, and it is fun getting to read books with others.

message 3: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments Planning to read!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 437 comments May re-read. No promises. May just chip in. 0:)

message 5: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments Just reread this recently when Pratchett died. I've already read this a number of times and basically have the book memorized. :)

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
Will re-read if I have time, not sure how that's going to work out with baby girl's arrival imminent :)

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
I've read this and will follow/join in the discussion but won't be rereading it right now.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 69 comments One of my favorite DiscWorld books. Might give it a quick re-read.

message 9: by Mekki (new)

Mekki | 18 comments I never read a discworld book before. would be it ok for me to start this deep into the series?

message 10: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments Absolutely, Mekki.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I will not be joining in, its on my radar but I wont be reading it for a while yet

message 12: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments First impression: Lots of amusing phrasing. However, more of a Sam Vines character study than I was hoping for.

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Well, I was just checking my reading list and discovered I have not yet read this--I had it confused with another Watch book. So I'll give it a go, but probably not until after House of Chains.

message 14: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments Mekki wrote: "I never read a discworld book before. would be it ok for me to start this deep into the series?"

Hm, I was hoping more Pratchett fans would chime in. When I was answering your question, I thought it was about Discworld in general. Now I realize you mean the Night Watch grouping. After finishing, I would say that it does help quite a bit to have read the other books in the Night Watch series. Not sure how this was picked--I read the earlier books a very long time ago and think my reading of this one suffered.

message 15: by Gene (new)

Gene Carol. wrote: "First impression: Lots of amusing phrasing. However, more of a Sam Vines character study than I was hoping for."

Beware: Sam Vimes becomes the main character of Guard subseries (is this a word?) while Carrot will slowly fades into background.

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Carol. wrote: "Mekki wrote: "I never read a discworld book before. would be it ok for me to start this deep into the series?"

Hm, I was hoping more Pratchett fans would chime in. When I was answering your questi..."

I have read about 15 of the Discworld books, mostly in publication order. However, I did just ahead with a couple books. I found that it is better to read them in order, but the books are still excellent as stand-alones without the full background of the other books.

I will be reading this without having first read The Fifth Elephant, which I believe is also a City Watch sub-series book. But I have read the other Watch books up to that point.

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick LeClerc (patrickleclerc) | 7 comments All the Discworld books are self contained stories, so you don't need to have read previous books, but the characters grow and evolve, so it may help to have met Vimes in the early "Guards" books.

I read most of Discworld out of order, whatever books were available, and it's not hard to get the gist of the story. The watch subseries is one of the better and more detailed threads in the whole collection.

message 18: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Just picked up my copy and its got a map, i love maps in books for some odd reason.

message 19: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Pickle wrote: "Just picked up my copy and its got a map, i love maps in books for some odd reason."

Oh, Pickle, I'm with you! EVERY book should have maps, in my perfect world!

message 20: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Started this last night, after discovering earlier this month that I had not previously read it. Only about 70 pages in, but so enjoying being back in Discworld. Love Pratchett's writing! Already had some true LOL moments!

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 437 comments I was noticing it helps to have read the earlier Watch books.

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

It does give a fuller understanding but it's not strictly necessarily.