Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Paste Names 30 of the Best Horror Books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments Did anybody else see this: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles...? Thoughts?

message 2: by Char (last edited May 01, 2015 10:20AM) (new)

Char  | 13703 comments Mod
I've read 21 of the thirty listed. I'm not sure The Metamorphosis belongs on there, but that's just my opinion. It seemed more of a social commentary and not very scary.

The Scary Stories to tell in the dark also seems sort of tame to me. I might have done a separate list for children's horror, or teen horror. I haven't read Coraline, but BEST horror? I don't know...seems to me that Salem's Lot is a damn scary horror novel and would probably beat the pants off of Coraline, but since I've not read Coraline, maybe I'm wrong?

I'm interested in other opinions. What say you Horror Aficionados?

message 3: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "I've read 21 of the thirty listed. I'm not sure The Metamorphosis belongs on there, but that's just my opinion. It seemed more of a social commentary and not very scary.

The Scary St..."

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

And any "Best of" horror list with The Amityville Horror on it can't be taken seriously.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I would swear I've seen that list before, even though it claims to have just been published, but I didn't read all the verbiage that went with it, so maybe it's a reprinting. I agree that some of these titles are tame as far as "horror" is concerned. There are definitely many solid choices as well. It seemed like the intent was to cover a lot of styles as well.

As an aside, I actually have a copy of the paperback edition of The Girl Next Door in nearly perfect shape. That has to rank near the top of the list of stupid and irrelevant horror covers. :-)

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments It was sort of slow to scroll down for me but very nice list. I shared it to Twitter and Facebook.

message 6: by Char (new)

Robert wrote: "I would swear I've seen that list before, even though it claims to have just been published, but I didn't read all the verbiage that went with it, so maybe it's a reprinting. I agree that some of ..."

Robert, agreed on that HORRIBLE cover of TGND.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments That's funny but I so would have picked that up in the 80's. I hated Haunted

message 8: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) "scary stories to tell in the dark" the drawings are so fantastically creepy, my faves. idk why "Coraline" or "Metamorphosis" are on that list but I suppose for some they might be horror.

message 9: by Jon Recluse (last edited May 01, 2015 02:37PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "That's funny but I so would have picked that up in the 80's. I hated Haunted"

Wrong HAUNTED.

Should be Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert

message 10: by Char (new)

Tom, oh I would have bought it in a second too! But after reading it I would've been wondering what the hell it had to do with the story?

message 11: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hains | 140 comments That late 70's to 80's horror novel cover art was always over the top and pretty amusing looking back on it. There is a web site devoted to it: http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot....
WIll Errickson is the blogger

message 12: by Char (new)

His blog is awesome.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6808 comments Some I have read, others I haven't. The list is mixed for me.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Tom wrote: "That's funny but I so would have picked that up in the 80's. I hated Haunted"

Wrong HAUNTED.

Should be Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert"

Much better choice!

message 15: by Anita (last edited May 08, 2015 07:00AM) (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments I saw the film version of "The Girl Next Door" a couple of years ago. I love a good horror film, blood and guts and gore and such but that film was disturbing. Very disturbing. Strong acting by all the kids in the film as well as the adults. Definitely not something you watch twice.

message 16: by Char (new)

Anita wrote: "I saw the film version of "The Girl Next Door" a couple of years ago. I love a good horror film, blood and guts and gore and such but that film was disturbing. Very disturbing. Strong acting by all..."

The book was exactly the same.

message 17: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Cantero  (seba_knt) | 14 comments Anthony wrote: "That late 70's to 80's horror novel cover art was always over the top and pretty amusing looking back on it. There is a web site devoted to it: http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot....
WIll Errick..."

My God... This blog is just brilliant!

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Sebaknt wrote: "Anthony wrote: "That late 70's to 80's horror novel cover art was always over the top and pretty amusing looking back on it. There is a web site devoted to it: http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot...."

I really dig that blog too.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I've read 21 of the thirty listed. I'm not sure The Metamorphosis belongs on there, but that's just my opinion. It seemed more of a social commentary and not very sca..."

I'm not a fan of THE AMITYVILLE HORROR either, Jon. At least, not the novel/book.