Austin Seminary Book Club discussion

Dreamcare: A Theology of Youth, Spirit, and Vocation
This topic is about Dreamcare
May 2015 > "Dreamcare: A Theology of Youth, Spirit, and Vocation" / Written and Moderated by David F. White

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AustinSeminary (new)

AustinSeminary | 66 comments Mod
We are excited to present May's Book of the Month, "Dreamcare: A Theology of Youth, Spirit, and Vocation," which will be moderated by the author, Austin Seminary Professor David F. White.

Dreamcare: A Theology of Youth, Spirit, and Vocation helps parents, youth workers, and congregations cultivate purpose and vocation in youth and young adults. Recent findings disclose a pervasive sense of purposelessness that threatens young adults' health and well-being, and also the common good. The good news is that research shows all young people also have an often hidden sense of purpose that can be noticed, named, and nurtured by parents and communities. This volume supplements research with findings from Emory's Youth Theological Initiative (YTI), which identifies four pathways--desire, joy, compassion, and responsibility--by which young people discover a sense of purpose. Growing from research at YTI, this volume provides concrete suggestions for how Christian communities might engage young people in practices to cultivate a sense of purpose, including narrative resources by which to make theological sense of their impulses of desire, joy, compassion, and responsibility.

Please welcome Professor White to the Austin Seminary Book Club!

David | 2 comments One premise of the book is that young people today, in contrast to many in the past, seem to lack a distinct sense of purpose in the world. Their perspectives seem local to their immediate concerns and their circle of friends. I wonder if you see examples that confirm or contradict this premise. What form does this purposelessness take? What are the causes and effects of it?

David | 2 comments In the book, I draw from the research of William Damon as well as my own interviews with students from Emory's Youth Theological Initiative. In this body of research various suggestions are made regarding how young people discover a sense of purpose or direction. I wonder how you observe young people discovering purpose. What activities, contexts or relationships seem to support them in finding purpose?

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank Mansell | 49 comments Welcome, David. I have just begun to read the first chapters of the book. I find it fascinating. I am an HR Teaching Elder (APTS '66) who as a pastor worked with youth in three congregations as well as in summer camps, conferences, and mission trips over a period of 38 years. My interest now is on behalf of two talented teenage granddaughters. I have seen in them, especially in the older 15 year old, a spark of concern expressed in action for schoolmates who have physical and intellectual challenges. They both have a spark for music (horn, violin, flute) and work voluntarily to grow as musicians. I appreciate the thought that this is the work of the Spirit in their lives. I see their parents encouraging them. I want to do the same. I am eager to read more. Thanks. Frank Mansell