The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Charcter analysis of Hazel and Gus
Nathalie Nathalie May 01, 2015 09:29AM
I've chosen to analyze Hazel and Gus for an English project, but I'm finding problems with finding faults about both of them. I've figured that:

Hazel has trust issues and is very pessimistic and cynical, while Gus (who I had an especially hard time finding flaws in) wears a mask of confidence to hide the fact that he feels inadequate compared to Hazel. This of course is a very short list, and I obviously need to elaborate more. Therefore, if anyone would be willing to help me analyse them more through fully I would really appreciate the help.

deleted member May 01, 2015 11:07AM   2 votes
That's easy. They're both self-insert Mary Sues.

I think the main thing about Gus is that he can't fathom being happy unless he leaves this impressive, extensive legacy after he dies. He's afraid of being unknown, which makes him take people and experiences for granted.

Hazel is scared of hurting people with her illness and shields herself from the world through being cynical. She's reluctant to get too attached to anything or let anything get to attached to her. Very emotionally guarded.
Augustus...I'm not sure. He seems to be quite confident in himself outwardly, but as you said, this could easily be a mask put on to cover up his insecurities - but looked at with perspective, that's not an uncommon flaw for people in general. Maybe he likes large gestures too much to the point of impracticality? The trophy smashing, extravagant trip with author meeting, egging (was that his idea? It's been a while since I read the book). Sometimes metaphors can get in the way of life.
That's all I can think of. Hope this helps and best of luck on your project!