Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

Humor

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Throughout the month of May we'll be discussing books that have a humor element to it. Books can be a collection of humorous antidotes or fiction that have some laugh out loud moments. One of my favorite humorous author is David Sedaris. I have read "Me talk pretty one day", "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" and "Holidays on Ice" by him. I still laugh about some of the stuff I read. What is one of your favorite humor books?

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1 comments I love David Sedaris, though I was a bit disappointed with "Let's explore diabetes with owls". I would suggest "Me talk pretty one day", "Naked", and "Dress your family in corduroy and denim".

Bill Bryson is always good for a laugh. He's got a pretty dry and self-deprecating sense of humor. My favorites are "A walk in the woods" and "In a sunburned country". "The life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid" is about growing up in Des Moines in the 1950's. He narrates his own audio books which really enhances the listening experience.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Good suggestions Jillian. I don't think any of the stories I remember from David Sedaris is from "Let's explore diabetes with owls"
I did not think of Bill Bryson. I've only read "The life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid" so far. I will have to try one of his audiobooks.

message 4: by Maelou (new)

Maelou | 16 comments This makes me think that perhaps I need to read more humorous books. The only one that comes to mind is "The Rosie Project," which I very much enjoyed.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I don't read too many humor books myself. When I was thinking books with humor I was thinking of "The Rosie Project". I also read "The Rosie Effect" it's sequel. It had some laugh out loud moments but I didn't like it as much as "The Rosie Project"

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I have read a lot of books by comedians, probably too many to name here, and humor essay collections like those of Sedaris (Naked is my favorite). I do enjoy humorous fiction, like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (both are also sci-fi, by the way). The last book that made me laugh out loud was A Load of Hooey by Bill Odenkirk.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I tried reading "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" a long time ago. I think I need to try it again. The book I'm reading now "Behind the scenes at the museum" by Kate Atkinson has some humor to it. The main character starts narrating her life at conception. She has some funny observations of her family.
It is good to hear about "A loud of Hooey" I'm on hold for it. I enjoyed Bob as Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. He played one of the sons in Nebraska which has some lines that still make me laugh.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I recently read Behind the Scenes at the Museum and I adored it, 5 stars. Atkinson is great at writing dense, interesting, moving novels with a dark comic edge.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I believe this is the first Atkinson novel I have read. I totally agree with your description of her writing.

message 10: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
I love Sedaris and Bryson. It's sometimes difficult to find humor that's done well. I recently finished The Supremes at Earl ' s All You Can Eat. Fiction, with laugh out loud humor caused by characters dealing with loss, grief, love, etc. I love the Martha Grimes and Elizabeth George detective series for the witty dialogue that makes me laugh in spire of the dark backdrop. John Sandford ' s Lucas Davenport for the same reason.

message 11: by Sheryl (new)

I LOVED listening to Sedaris recount his experience as a mall elf when he was desperate for work. He's wonderful. Haven't read or listened to his two most recent, though.

message 12: by Sheryl (new)

I also love Kate Atkinson, and wouldn't have thought of her humor, but it is there. It's also evident in her Jackson Brody series. He's one of my favorite dark detectives.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Good to know about The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat. I never thought about the humor aspect of Elizabeth George's writing. Some of the characters get themselves into humorous situations. I also listened to Sedaris' Holidays on ice. His reading adds to the humor. "Behind the scenes at the museum" is my first Atkinson book. I will definitely read more of her work.

message 14: by Sheryl (new)

I had forgotten about "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" until this conversation. Atkinson can range from very dark to very clever. If you read the Jackson Brody series, there's also a DVD series, starring Jason Isaacs, set in Scotland (beautiful). Well done, and the humor plays well against the darkness.

message 15: by Sheryl (new)

I had forgotten about "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" until this conversation. Atkinson can range from very dark to very clever. If you read the Jackson Brody series, there's also a DVD series, starring Jason Isaacs, set in Scotland (beautiful). Well done, and the humor plays well against the darkness.

message 16: by Sheryl (new)

Rainbow Rowell does humor well. I loved "Attachments" as a fun little story about friendships, email, lurking, and love. WONDERFUL, fun dialogue between the two women.

message 17: by Sheryl (new)

And speaking of Rainbow Rowell, JoJo Moyes also does humorous dialogue really well. Both authors employ humor in character development, particularly in regard to friendships and family. Both also use this to lighten fiction that deals with some pretty serious topics, including ethical dilemma. Both do it quite well.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I'm almost done with "Behind the Scenes at the Museum". The ending is a lot darker than the beginning. Clever is a good word to describe the beginning. I am definitely going to check out her Jackson Brody series.
I read Rainbow Rowell's "Attachments" That was a fun book. The only book I've read by JoJo Moyes was "The girl you left behind" That one was more serious. I will have to check out some of her other work.
"Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty has some funny moments.

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis | 6 comments I recently read my first Jackson Brody book and really enjoyed it.
I've had many laugh out loud moments reading Carl Hiaasen. My favorite of his is Sick Puppy. All of his books take place in Florida. Wacky characters and fun reads. I also like the Dr. Siri series by Collin Cotterill. Dr. Siri is a reluctant coroner in Laos, actually, the only coroner. Sweet and funny books with smart mysteries. Have to also mention Richard Russo. Nobody's Fool and Risk Pool are two of my favorite books and quite funny.

message 20: by Sheryl (new)

Travis, Hiaasen is a good one. He IS funny. And that reminds me of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker. I used to listen to those in my car and laugh out loud.
I love Richard Russo, clever, subtle humor.

message 21: by Sheryl (new)

Travis, Hiaasen is a good one. He IS funny. And that reminds me of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker. I used to listen to those in my car and laugh out loud.
I love Richard Russo, clever, subtle humor.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I forgot about Carl Hiaasen! My favorite is "Lucky you". I've been meaning to read Richard Russo for long time.

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis | 6 comments Craig Johnson's, Walt Longmire series is also very good with some laugh out loud moments. I remember re-reading sections because of how funny they were. Good writing and good characters.

message 24: by Sheryl (new)

I don't know that one--Craig Johnson. Wonderful, a new series :)