Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Cuba Straits by Randy Wayne White (mystery)
A different type of mystery that I'm not used to reading. For me, it was an okay read.

Stung by Bethany Wiggins (horror)
This book was loaned to me from my 13 year old neighbor boy. In a future world, where some people have turned into beasts and another group live behind a walled city. Those people have received a vaccine and are immune. It's a combination of "Walking Dead" and the movie of kids surviving a game of survival. I can't think of the movie at this time. It was okay and I understand the appeal for this youngster recommending it.

Saint Odd by Dean Koontz
The last in the series of Odd Thomas. Wow! What a terrific ending to his story. Many characters from previous books returned. I think this is the best book of the series. A satisfying ending, but also a little sad.

The Royals by Kitty Kelly
Well, I was in the mood for some trash reading. It covers from Queen Elizabeth's childhood until Diana's death. I knew the monarchy was distant and harsh, but hadn't realized just how bad it is. An interesting read.

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
Finally, received this one from the library after being on hold forever. It did remind me of the Hitchcock movie,"Strangers on the Train", but shortly after the beginning it changes. I could not put this one down, read it in 2 days. Really had me guessing, loved the ending.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3590 comments i agree about The Kind Worth Killing. really liked it.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Stung by Bethany sounds just like two of my recent reads. Seems like many in this genre have a really tight formula.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Lorraine, I also liked The kind worth killing, but hated the characters. LOL

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Good month! I read DEAD WAKE in April since you liked it so much.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments Lorraine: Good month! I am intrigued by your assessment of Saint Odd. I got behind in the series and hadn't thought about reading it, but now think perhaps I should. Now to decide whether to skip up to it or try to catch up.... :)
If you have time, the final comments Group Read thread about The Kind Worth Killing is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments Lorraine: I got on the list for Cuba Straits, the last few in the Doc Ford series weren't quite as good as some of the earlier books.
Brakedrum wrote: "Cuba Straits by Randy Wayne White (mystery) A different type of mystery that I'm not used to reading. For me, it was an okay read.

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments I'm with Lorraine that Cuba Straits was OK, but RWW is at least working at trying to keep the series fresh, and this might finally be a right turn instead of a wrong one.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Sounds like I need to catch up on the "Odd" series. I'm a little behind :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Good month!

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Varied reading selection, Lorraine.

I didn't realize how popular the plot of Stung was (virus turns some into monsters who prey upon the rest) when we read The Twelve and The Passage as a group. I think I had my fill of that kind of plot, as much as I enjoyed those two. I like that your neighbor shared it with you, how great to be able to share that with him.

Doesn't need saying that I agree with you about The Kind Worth Killing. Can't wait to read Peter's next book.