The F-word discussion

We Should All Be Feminists
This topic is about We Should All Be Feminists
GROUP READS > May NON-FICTION selection WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINISTS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) This is supposed to be short and wonderful! Who's read this one yet?

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Alexa wrote: "This is supposed to be short and wonderful! Who's read this one yet?"

I haven't. But I'm intending to read along for BOTM. And really looking forward to it. I've seen the author on YouTube and she is an inspiration.

Taylor (seffietay) The book is SO short, it's like a mini book! No excuse not to read it! :)

It's sooo great.

Kira I work for the public library in our city. This is the second book that has the subject matter of feminism that the library doesn't carry. I had to get an interlibrary loan for last months non fic read. And ironically they have all the other books by these authors EXCEPT the ones that openly discuss feminism. Geez, get on the ball! I will just continue to request the library to purchase them. lol

Nicole I'm still waiting for the copy I bought to arrive, but I'm really excited to read this. I've heard nothing but great things.

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments I was hoping to enjoy the book more. Just posted my three-star review:

This read like an essay on heterosexuality to me. As I am a lesbian, it felt largely redundant. I don't give two f***s, of course, what a man thinks of me, or whether I've been expected to marry one.

I much preferred Adichie's TEDx talk, which I found inspiring. The book was VERY short, was well-written and clear, contained a few interesting examples of cultural sexism in Nigeria, though there wasn't really anything new for me.

And YES, we should all be feminists.

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Natasha, what is the difference between this and her TED talk? I sort of thought this was just a transcript of the talk - or was the inspiration in her delivery, rather than in different words?

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Alexa wrote: "Natasha, what is the difference between this and her TED talk? I sort of thought this was just a transcript of the talk - or was the inspiration in her delivery, rather than in different words?"

It could have been the delivery, Alexa. I saw the talk some time ago, so it's not fresh in my mind. But I don't remember feeling erased as a lesbian from anything she said in the talk. I found the book ridiculous in its underlying assumption that everyone is heterosexual.

Nicole I was finally able to read this one last night. I think it was a good basic intro to feminism, good points but nothing too new.
Natasha, I think it's interesting you thought it was so focused on heterosexuality. I didn't really pick up on that while I was reading it, but I can see what you mean now. I do think most of the book was the author speaking about her own (and women she knows) experiences though so that might have something to do with it.

Nicole Oh and I also haven't watched the TED Talk yet, but I've heard from other people that it's really good as well. I wasn't sure if it was going to be too redundant after reading this though, so I'm glad you seem to think it's worth watching anyway.