Kindred Spirits discussion

Book of the Month > May 2015- Anne's House of Dreams

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wow! You are on top of things! Sorry I'm such a slacker.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I finished this book weeks ago. I love it and I don't. I miss Marilla in this book.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Yeah summer TV programming is pretty addictive.

LobsterQuadrille | 19 comments I think this book takes some getting used to for me because suddenly there is a different setting and different situations and characters. However, I do enjoy this book, though I miss Green Gables!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Victoria, I couldn't agree more. I miss green gables in every book. I still love the books though.

message 6: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments This book made me stop reading the series. It was just a little too domestic and petty. Anne seemed to have turned into somebody who could gossip all day about the lives of everybody around her.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica It's like she gave up all her dreams to marry Gilbert and be a housewife, right?

message 8: by Bookworm (last edited May 29, 2015 08:02AM) (new)

Bookworm | 12 comments I think she just realized what her real dreams were-she still kept her Anne-ness to me, at least. :) I must admit, Lesley got on my nerves! I realize she had a hard life, but that's still not a good reason that she's petty and spiteful against Anne's joy.And the way dear Captain Jim threw aside Anne's own tragic and starved childhood as nothing, when it was everything to Anne who was experiencing it, because LESLEY had one even more tragic....!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I never thought she lost her Anneness ; )

message 10: by ᏒIᎪ (new)

ᏒIᎪ (rialistic) | 9 comments How did Anne change when she got married? How did it affect your reading experience?

message 11: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Jessica wrote: "It's like she gave up all her dreams to marry Gilbert and be a housewife, right?"

oh gosh yes, and he even said so himself!

message 12: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Bookworm wrote: "I think she just realized what her real dreams were-she still kept her Anne-ness to me, at least. :) I must admit, Lesley got on my nerves! I realize she had a hard life, but that's still not a goo..."

The whole Lesley story was just odd...I didn't like the way Anne was trying to get Gilbert to not do his duty as a doctor when she tried to stop him from telling Lesley about the surgery!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I didn't like that either. Green Gables Anne wouldn't have even thought about asking Gilbert to not do his duty as a doctor.

message 14: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 12 comments Very true!

message 15: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Liza wrote: "I'm fired, I'm still reading lol. I'm not sure I like Leslie too much, I get that she is jealous, but hating someone that much after you get to know them seems cruel to me. Also I really envy Anne ..."

Totally. In today's world it would just be dangerous!

message 16: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Liza wrote: "Also it took me the longest time to figure out that Anne was pregnant. Then I noticed that L.M. never says pregnant, or with child or anything, just subtle like "Anne couldn't walk," "her hopes for..."

I thought she might have been pregnant since they kept mentioning the stork and stuff and the old lady kept stitching or knitting something. It seems that it was obscene to use the word "pregnant" back then LOL