All About Books discussion

Past Posts > June/July Nonfiction Nomination thread

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments For our non-fiction group read in June and July we'll have a carte blanche again, so instead of sticking to a theme you can nominate any work of non-fiction you like.

Nominations will run for a maximum of 7 days or until 7 poll-contestants are chosen. In order to move into poll a book needs to receive a second vote. So second if you are not nominating!

Please stick to one nomination OR one second vote per person.

Should you have a question, feel free to ask in this thread!

message 2: by Paulfozz (last edited May 01, 2015 10:09AM) (new)

Paulfozz | 1001 comments Just for once I think I'll make a suggestion:

Colour Travels Through the Paintbox by Victoria Finlay
Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox by Victoria Finlay

it's a history and travelogue of the artist's palette; where the materials used in different colours of paints come from and how they were (and are!) used. I've had a copy on my shelf since last year and it looks very interesting but I've not yet got around to reading it.

There's an ebook, paperback, various hardbacks...

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink My nomination is for Orientalism by Edward W. Said

I've nominated it for another group, but I'd really like to discuss this one, so I'll try here as well.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7514 comments Mod
I'll second Orientalism - I haven't read it yet, and I've quite liked what I've read by Edward W. Said so far.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Featherston (kfxston) | 66 comments My suggestion is: I Forgot To Remember by Su Meck
This is a compelling memoir of a young mother who, due to a freak at-home accident, loses all memories of her life up until that point. After just three weeks in hospital, she is sent home to resume her life and its responsibilities - in other words, business as usual. She has to learn everything all over again (reading, writing, child care, everyone's name (including husband). Life has to continue along normally while this enormous learning process is undertaken. This is the most uplifting Life-after-trauma story I've read in years. I was so taken with this woman's huge, challenging journey I forgot the time and nearly missed a meeting, I admire this writer to the nth degree - heck, I'm having big trouble writing a memoir WITH memories intact!!

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Love the nominations so far, Paul, I've never heard of the one you picked, but it will have to go on to my to-read list despite the outcome of the poll!

So far there are:

Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay seconded
Orientalism by Edward W. Said seconded
A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
I Forgot to Remember: A Memoir of Amnesia by Su Meck

message 10: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz | 1001 comments Jenny wrote: "Love the nominations so far, Paul, I've never heard of the one you picked, but it will have to go on to my to-read list despite the outcome of the poll!

So far there are:

[book:Color: A Natural ..."

Thanks Jenny, and Sandy for seconding it. It does look very intriguing; I find myself leafing through my copy a lot but always seem to have too many books on the go when I do, the only reason I've not started it yet. I think that I am going to try to clear the decks so I can actually start reading it myself whether or not it gets chosen.

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 199 comments I nominate
The Fatal Shore The Epic of Australia's Founding by Robert Hughes The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes Robert Hughes

message 12: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Can I change my nomination to Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End? this book is being talked up everywhere.

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzanne03) | 32 comments I would like to second Being Mortal. Definitely a topic that concerns us all.

message 15: by Sandy (last edited May 04, 2015 04:22PM) (new)

message 16: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 276 comments I nominate The Immense Journey by Loren Eisely.Science by a naturalist and a poet.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Sandy wrote: "Perhaps I misunderstood. Was Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End supposed to replace A History of the World in 6 Glasses?"

No, you are perfectly right, sorry, that was my Monday head ;)

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7514 comments Mod
John wrote: "I nominate The Immense Journey by Loren Eisely.Science by a naturalist and a poet."

That one looks great John! If I hadn't already seconded, I would second this one for sure.