Our Novel Escape discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
2015 Finished Reads Discussions > May BOTM- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine, Monthly Group Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katherine | 464 comments Mod
Read and discuss The Girl on the Train here!!!

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparisons to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep, this is an electrifying debut embraced by readers across markets and categories.

message 2: by Katherine, Monthly Group Reads (last edited May 01, 2015 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

This book has gotten so many comparisons to another famous psychological thriller, Gone Girl. Do you think this ruins the appeal of this book and makes your expectations of it too high? Do you think the comparison is unfair?

Kendra (kendra417) Katherine wrote: "This book has gotten so many comparisons to another famous psychological thriller, Gone Girl. Do you think this ruins the appeal of this book and makes your expectations of it too high? Do you thin..."

For me, it definitely ruined the book. On it's own, I think the book would have been good. Maybe not one of my favorites, but decent. After having heard the constant comparisons to Gone Girl, which was a favorite of mine, I walked into the book with incredibly high expectations in terms of the level of suspense. While I didn't necessarily see the ending of Girl on the Train coming, I felt the author tried too hard to mirror Gillian Flynn's novel. As a result, I felt like the book lacked originality and a lot of times I felt like the writing was forced.

Kate (kategaff) | 13 comments I liked this book and didn't think it was anything like Gone Girl. The Girl On The Train had a very British feel to it for me and it didn't try as hard to shock the reader as GG. I think the comparison is unfair and was just used to grab peoples attention. All in all though i did enjoy Gone Girl more as couldn't see what was coming and it was a roller coaster read for me.

message 5: by Katherine, Monthly Group Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think it's hard whenever a book is compared to another, as it kind of puts pressure on the author publicity wise. If I were to compare the two, I would have to say I liked Gone Girl better. There was more suspense and twists that I didn't see coming. I do, however, see where a lot of people were coming from where they had such high expectations that were crushed.