Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Winter King
Group Read Discussions > May 2015: The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3407 comments Mod
New group read time... Doing things a little differently this time and posting a set of threads - one for spoilers, and one without. This is the NO spoiler thread, so please remember to post in the other thread if you want to discuss any spoilers. :)

message 2: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new) - added it

Gretchen (eab2012) | 575 comments Mod
I have to finish with Uhtred before I can move on to my next Cornwell series but I am excited to read this novel as part of a group read.

message 3: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin (ukamerican) | 529 comments Gretchen wrote: "I have to finish with Uhtred before I can move on to my next Cornwell series but I am excited to read this novel as part of a group read."

Me too! I'm really torn whether to delve into this now with the group or wait until my to-read list thins out a little and I finish with the Uhtred series.

Chris (cdavies1951) | 22 comments I started today. I've been meaning to read this one for a long time.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 623 comments I started this a few days ago and even though I'm only about 15% in I can see that I'm going to like this novel and hope to eventually read the next 2 books in this series.

message 6: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 7987 comments This will be my first Bernard Cornwell. I don't know how I have not managed to read one before..they come so recommended. I'm looking forward to this. But have two books to finish first!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Kitchen (melissammk) | 8 comments I've lost count of how many times I've read this series; one of my absolute, all time favourites!

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 715 comments I don't know why I've always avoided Cornwell. I have read The Winter King recently and absolutely loved it and have started the Saxon series. I am ready for book two in both series and looking forward to them. I'm not so much into the details of battles and the blood and gore, but these are so well done that I feel I am there and those scenes are actually compelling.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 623 comments Cornwell is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of his Richard Sharpe series Sharpe's Tiger and a few other stand alones.

Have to admit that I had a some difficulty in the beginning with all of the characters but that is probably due to reading at night when I'm tired :D

Sarah | 5 comments This will be my first Cornwell, I've had people recommending his work for a long time, and heard good things about this one as I checked it out from the library so hopefully I will not be disappointed, hope to start it by the end of the week once I finish the book I'm currently working on.

Jessica (longlivelibraries) | 127 comments It was slow to start for me, but I really like it now that the plot has picked up. I haven't read a lot of books set in this particular period of history (after the fall of the western part of the Roman Empire but before the Middle Ages), and I find Cornwell's descriptions very interesting and evocative.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 67 comments I bought a used copy of this & hope to start soon. I have read a few books by Cornwell which I enjoyed though I could never get into the Sharpe books. Recently finished The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick (& the other two books in this series). Am wondering how they will compare. Anyone else read these books?

message 13: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1293 comments Mod
Just starting this one. Have read a couple other Cornwell, but not the Sharpe or Saxon series. I remember that his writing is very dense.

Sarah | 5 comments So far I'm loving this book, I'm about the quarter of the way through, and its incredibly well done, I can easily see myself at this point moving on with the series.

Alison Sumprer | 3 comments Just finished reading this book and I think it's definitely going to be my favorite Cornwell series. I haven't read any of his books in a while but feel like picking up some more of his books now.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 623 comments I've also finished and gave it 4 stars. Once Arthur was introduced I felt that the story moved along more smoothly. Am now on the library waiting list for #2 Enemy of God