Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
Daphne du Maurier Collection > Rebecca Discussion-NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited May 01, 2015 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 5016 comments Mod
This is our Revisit the Shelf Selection for May 2015. It was last read by the group in January 2012 and only had a Spoiler thread. Please use this thread for non-spoiler information. Thanks.

Spoiler Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Janet (jangoodell) This is one of the best mysteries I have read. I highly recommend it.

Pink | 6554 comments I loved this book, but I really didn't expect to. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be, it was so much better! I won't be reading again yet, but definitely recommend to anyone who's considering it.

message 4: by Cleo (new) - rated it 1 star

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 129 comments I hated this book (and I rarely completely dislike a book) ........ it's curious how different people have such different reactions to a book. It will certainly be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and perhaps I can be converted a littlle ...... or not ...... ;-)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I've reread this many times over the years.

Last year was my last reading of this.

I'm looking forward to reading the comments of first time readers.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 5016 comments Mod
I think Rebecca and Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None may well be the best mysteries ever written.

Melanti | 2384 comments I loved this book when I read it a few years ago. I might read something else by du Maurier this month but probably won't re-read this.

Cleo wrote: "I hated this book (and I rarely completely dislike a book) ........ it's curious how different people have such different reactions to a book. It will certainly be interesting to hear everyone's t..."

I snuck a peek at your review. Was it ALL the characters and dialog that you saw as painful or just the narrator's? She had me cringing so many times, but saw it as due to her being very, very timid and passive. And all those bits of dialog you quoted were a reflection of that, IMO. She's one of the most passive characters I've ever come across in a novel.

I'll say more on the spoiler thread.

Cami  | 42 comments I'm SO excited to read this!! I loved the film adaptation. And luckily I don't remember the film faithfully, so I'm hoping reading the novel will be like experiencing the story for the first time again!

Philina | 1562 comments Cami wrote: "I'm SO excited to read this!! I loved the film adaptation. And luckily I don't remember the film faithfully, so I'm hoping reading the novel will be like experiencing the story for the first time a..."

Which film did you watch? The one with Charles Dance? I love that one!

Cami  | 42 comments No, I saw the black & white, 1940 version with Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine. I didn't even know there was a newer one! And I love Charles Dance --- ever since Phantom of the Opera, so I will have to check it out!

message 11: by Cleo (last edited May 07, 2015 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 129 comments Melanti wrote: "I snuck a peek at your review. Was it ALL the characters and dialog that you saw as painful or just the narrator's? She had me cringing so many times, but saw it as due to her being very, very timid and passive. And all those bits of dialog you quoted were a reflection of that, IMO. She's one of the most passive characters I've ever come across in a novel. ..."

Melanti, I'd say almost all the book was painful. The narrative just wasn't plausible. What is rather surprising, is that du Maurier is able to make many readers believe that it's plausible, so perhaps that is the one interesting aspect about the book.

I did think the author's descriptive powers were wonderful. Her description of Manderley completely pulled me in. That made her near cave-man dialogue very perplexing.

I'll move over to the spoilers thread to make some further comments closer to the end of the read.

Desertorum I was almost going to skip this but so many are liking and then I found the book in flea market very cheap, so I guess I´m in!

Melanti | 2384 comments A BBC dramatized radio production: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007k4b7

It must be rather heavily abridged considering it's only 90 minutes long and my audiobook was around 15.

message 14: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 23 comments If you listen to audiobooks, this is the weekly freebie on Sync. They have two free downloads per week during the summer, one YA and one classic.
Here's the link: http://www.audiobooksync.com/books/re...

You can also download Beautiful Creatures if you scroll down.

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 23 comments I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it, though the heroine is frustrating/too passive at times!

Melanti | 2384 comments Lena wrote: "If you listen to audiobooks, this is the weekly freebie on Sync. They have two free downloads per week during the summer, one YA and one classic.
Here's the link: http://www.audiobooksync.com/book..."

That's the same narrator I had on my audiobook. I really liked her.

Trudy Brasure | 34 comments I've heard of this book and the old movie for so long. I'm so glad I read it. I guessed one outcome, but was truly surprised by many things along the way.

I'd say the dialogue fit the characters and the circumstances. Neither of the main characters were particularly talkative.

DuMaurier was wonderful in describing the extraordinary poignancy of ordinary moments. The narrator's wandering imaginations were vivid glimpses of how our conscious thought leaps to project image-laden scenarios in a matter of seconds. We all know how much our minds run here and there while we're outwardly carrying on normal routines or conversations.
The plot was masterfully executed. Beginning from the end was intriguing.
So curious that the main character was never named. I suppose that was meant to indicate it could have been anyone of us. She was leading a very humdrum life until she met Maxim.
Very cleverly written. A good mystery. Now I want to see a movie version.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Trudy wrote: "I've heard of this book and the old movie for so long. I'm so glad I read it. I guessed one outcome, but was truly surprised by many things along the way.

I'd say the dialogue fit the characters ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed Rebecca.

You must be a master of solving mysteries to have solved the mystery before the big reveal.

I've seen three versions and the original that features Sir Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine is my favorite.

Trudy Brasure | 34 comments No, I'm terrible at mysteries (especially on TV/movies). The only thing I got right was about what happened with her choice of costume for the ball. But then, I didn't really understand Max's reaction until later when he revealed all.

There were so many twists I never saw coming! An excellent book for keeping you guessing.

Loretta | 2670 comments Sorry guys! I was bored and started the book before August 1st (today as a matter of fact!) Hope everyone who was looking to buddy reading this with Renee and I will participate! Looking forward to our discussions! 🤗

Lydia Corey I started the book about a month ago. I'm know on chapter 18.

Lydia Corey *now

Loretta | 2670 comments Anyone else reading along?

Renee | 864 comments Loretta wrote: "Sorry guys! I was bored and started the book before August 1st (today as a matter of fact!) Hope everyone who was looking to buddy reading this with Renee and I will participate! Looking forward to..."

I thought we were reading Jamaica Inn? I started it the other night. Not too far in though.

Loretta | 2670 comments Renee wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Sorry guys! I was bored and started the book before August 1st (today as a matter of fact!) Hope everyone who was looking to buddy reading this with Renee and I will participate! Lo..."

Ha ha ha ha! Indeed we are! I posted on the wrong thread! So sorry Renee! Glad you're reading along!! 🤣😂

Jyoti (miss_jc) Ohhhhh I am so excited to read this book!! I recieved it just today!!!

message 27: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3486 comments Mod
Jyoti wrote: "Ohhhhh I am so excited to read this book!! I recieved it just today!!!"

I read Rebecca recently, in the last year or two, and it is one of my all-time favorite books. I love du Maurier's writing style.

Jyoti (miss_jc) Lynn wrote: "Jyoti wrote: "Ohhhhh I am so excited to read this book!! I recieved it just today!!!"

I read Rebecca recently, in the last year or two, and it is one of my all-time favorite books...."

That's nice! :D I can't wait to read it :D

Jyoti (miss_jc) So I received the book today and OMG I can’t wait!! I guess I’ll start it before December!!

message 30: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Penhallow | 62 comments I read this for another book club and have just finished it today. I loved it! One of my favourite books in a long time. I'll definitely be coming back and joining the discussion once it gets going!

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 171 comments I haven’t read duMaurier in years and recently read 2 other books of hers, House on the Strand which I wasn’t over the top about, and Jamaica Inn which I thought was fantastic. I’m really looking forward to Rebecca and have high hopes I’m going to love this as well. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 32: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

For those interested in other writing by Daphne du Maurier, Jamaica Inn, My Cousin Rachel, and a wonderful short story "The Birds" are all on our group bookshelf as past reads. I really liked "The Birds" and the entire short story collection that it came in.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm excited to read this one!

Michele | 1012 comments A long-time fave of mine -- can't wait to read it with a group!!

message 35: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1 comments This book has been on my list of Must Reads for a long time. Cant wait to get started!

message 36: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

The December 2020 Revisit the Shelf book is Rebecca a classic thriller. This is the No Spoiler thread. Please save your plot discussions for our Spoiler thread.

message 37: by Petrichor (new) - added it

Petrichor | 300 comments I've finally managed to start today.

I'm vaguely familiar with the story due to seeing the musical in Vienna about 15 years ago.
I'm listening to the audio book narrated by Anna Massey and can wholeheartedly recommend it.