Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Community/Brainstorming/Problems > Wattpad - Worth it?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oli (new)

Oli Jacobs (olijba) I've just joined Wattpad on the advice of a friend, in order to try to put my work out there more. At the moment, I was looking to post unpublished content on my own website (a Wordpress deal), but Wattpad looks to be better in terms of feedback. What does everyone think of it? Good place to test new work? Active community?

Ta in advance...

message 2: by Jevon (new)

Jevon Knights (jevonknights) | 46 comments I always wanted to try it also. But I was thinking to put stuff already published so readers will get a free sample.

Not sure if that's the best way to use it.

message 3: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Best strategies are:
- be very active in the communities
- get your book featured
- put several works up

I would say don't just put up sample chapters, make sure you publish the entire work.

Some writers put their beta work up for comment, I have only done final, published format.

I do have some conversion from Wattpad to Kindle purchases, but I couldn't tell you percentages.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Lindhagen (emmalindhagen) I've only put up poetry on Wattpad so far and all unpublished so I can't say anything about it in relation to sales, but I will say that I really love the connection to readers that you get there and how direct it is. It's been a real kick seeing that people actually enjoy some of my poetry and having people comment on it. I've not done any serials so far though, which from what I understand is the real strength of the platform, but I am pretty sure I will use it for that once I have a suitable project, perhaps as a kind of "beta reader" thing in the earlyish stages.

message 5: by Dionne (new)

Dionne (httpwwwgoodreadscomdionnelister) | 26 comments I didn't have a good experience there. My work was mostly ignored and there are lots of writers there who don't even know where a full stop goes. There are a handful of good writers and the rest are teenagers who have a lot to learn. I have also looked at what's popular on there and for the ones that are on sale at Amazon, they aren't selling particularly well from what I could see, so I think it's pot luck whether it increases your book sales. From my experience, it doesn't.

message 6: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I didn't see any reads until I got featured, and then they exploded. It has been fun to look over the shoulders of some of the readers as they work their way through the book and to hear their thoughts, questions, and comments. I have received some really vociferous praise there that I just haven't seen on any other platform (part of the reason being that, as you say, there is a lot of pap on Wattpad, so when you come across a jewel, it stands out that much more!)

While I can't point to the number of increased sales I have received, I can tell you that I have recognized Wattpad commenter's names as they sign up for my mailing list, and I have had a few contact me privately to let me know how they have enjoyed some of my non-Wattpad books that they have picked up on Amazon or elsewhere.

message 7: by Oli (new)

Oli Jacobs (olijba) I think the most interesting reply I've got so far was P.D. expressing the value of being active in a community, which I confess is something I'm not very good at (being the stereotypical insulated writer/curmudgeon). Also, I've noted a lot of people discuss the use of Wattpad to boost sales. While boosting sales is lovely and all, I was worried that I'd fallen into the trap I've done before of concentrating solely on sales.

However, looking back at my original post, I realise I didn't do that, which brings a sigh of relief in my eyes. Ideally, what I want to use Wattpad for is not to increase the number of Kirk Sandblaster titles I sell, but get some constructive feedback on the works I put forward. One of the problems I have in general with my writing so far, is I get little back in terms of what does and doesn't work, and so I am not sure whether I am growing as a writer or not (although, comparing my first book to my latest does show some growth, additional relief sigh).

So if not Wattpad, are there any other groups online who, as well as being friendly, work well at discussing work samples or something of that ilk.

Once again, thanks for the responses so far, and ta for any further advice...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Messier (scribbliz) | 16 comments one thing i would keep in mind, if you are posting an already published work. if it's self published then it's up to you, but if its through a publishing company, you may need to check your contract, or check with them, as to what you are permitted to post online. you may not be able to do more than a sample chapter or two

message 9: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Good thinking! I tend to forget everybody doesn't self pub!

message 10: by Oli (new)

Oli Jacobs (olijba) Everything self-published. Alas, I'm not good enough for proper publishing yet!

message 11: by Jevon (new)

Jevon Knights (jevonknights) | 46 comments Ha, neither am I.

I've racked up a couple of rejections well.

message 12: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Shompole (nlshompole) | 12 comments Hey this is a great question/discussion. I recently joined wattpad and have been slowly trying to figure it out. What I've found so far is that you have to build connections (like any other platform), but its great because everyone on there is interested in reading or writing.

message 13: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) I have been on Wattpad for two years now. I completely agree with P.D., activity is key to growing a readership (and don't post excerpts). There are those with hot-button themes that get away without building relationships, but for most of us it's a slow process. The things about activity is that it will get people talking about you and your work. Followers then see that and may check out your stories out of curiosity. Also, getting put on reading lists pushes stories as recommendations to other users.

If you have a finished work you can apply for featuring, which will usually translate into an avalanche of reads. But be forewarned: the quality of the comments you will receive on your work will go down. Featured means a lot of people will see your book but its usually the people who are new to the site or too lazy to search out the books they really want to read.

If you are looking at turning Wattpad success into book sales, this is a much more difficult thing to do. I have seen it work, both with books that started on Wattpad then got published and with books that were published and were brought to the site. But in these cases the authors were able to foster an extremely loyal and supportive fan base. How did they do it? I wish I knew.

Overall, Wattpad is a fantastic site for developing material and building a network of writing friends. If you are looking for a forum where your work will be read, with a little effort Wattpad is it. If you're looking for a place to build a promotional platform, it will probably take a lot more effort to achieve.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise | 25 comments I like using it as a place I can refer people to if they want to read a sample chapter of my novel. I feel pretty good about it so far. If anyone wants to add me, I would love to check out your Wattpad as well. http://www.wattpad.com/user/DeniseLeB...

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I have been on wattpad for a little over a year and it has been an interesting experience. The most popular of my works is currently invisible on their site. If you search for it using any of the tags or by title it will not pull up no matter how far down the list you go. I have emplored their support team to look into it and they have no answer. The only way to find it is to go to my profile on wattpad. There are many many bugs on the site other than that as well. The community is the best reason to go there. You can get some good feedback, but you'll also get some people who will go through and spam vote for your story in hopes that you will return the favor. The same goes for comments. You will get some constructive criticism, but most of the teens there will only comment if they like it or thought something was cool. It's not hard to get several people to read your stories, but most of the readers there just want free stories. I can't imagine the conversion rate for sales from wattpad being very high. I think it is a decent site for helping to develop and craft a story while getting some feedback in the process.

message 16: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I must be lucky, I have gotten really great comments on Wattpad, both through the site and in my private e-mail.

message 17: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) P.D. my experience is in line with yours. Just like any social site it will be a mixed bag with lots of different types if users. But it is a lot easier to make meaningful connections there than Twitter or Facebook, in my experience. It really does end up being about community building--the least active members seem the least satisfied.

Brian, you should check the language setting on your story. A friend of mine accidentally did that once and it only came up in searches done for stories in that language.

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve Downes (stevedownes) | 53 comments wattpad's is a bit of fun, nothing more than that, I use it to post stuff I don't want to sell or just for R&R writing, but I wouldn't use it for anything else

message 19: by Christopher (last edited Mar 23, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Christopher Taylor (christophertaylor) My experiences with Wattpad haven't been terrific, but its okay. I don't think its influenced any sales, but its another tool to reach out to people with. I put the first chapters of my books up and did a Sherlock Holmes short story which got a fair amount of attention for a while, for fun. Not a huge amount of feedback.

Wattpad skews kind of young and female, so my sort of stories probably aren't in the site's wheelhouse.

message 20: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I browse Wattpad. I think it can be a goodway to build an audience if you write YA romance as you said :)

It's a good platform if you write a lot of smutty Harry Potter Fanfiction. Which I totally don't. Nah. *Cough*

message 21: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I like Wattpad for getting some decent feedback on what you write, but if you're not super active in their community you can't expect much. I have one story on there that has around 350-400 reads then I went inactive for about 6 months. When I next checked it that story had 4000+ reads while my other stories had about 0 new reads. That one story is about to go past 6000 reads while the others are still mostly ignored.

Everything I have there is first draft and I scoff at my poor writing style back then.