Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > May 2015 Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm not listening to a non-romance right now. Are you?

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2008 comments Mod
Still listening to Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters . I love Amelia. I haven't had the chance to listen like I want but I should be finished later today.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Glad you're enjoying it Samantha. The 2nd book is just as fun.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

It is fun. I just checked my library and they have all of them in audio except book 2. Wow!!! That is so annoying.

message 5: by Jewlzy (last edited May 01, 2015 08:28PM) (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments I just finished Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds who does a fantastic job. It traces the beginning of the drug war from prohibition onward. It makes you really think about the way we treat addicts in this country and innovative ways other countries are addressing the problem.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Finally finished Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters and loved it. I now have to find something else to listen to that is just as great.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Started to listen to Missing You by Harlan Coben which is narrated by January LaVoy. This is the first time that I'm listening to her. So far she narrates the female lead in a deeper voice than I had anticipated. I hope I enjoy it.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4422 comments Mod
I just listened to her narration of The Liar by Nora Roberts and she saved that story. Hope she does well with Coben. Loved that story.
The Liar by Nora Roberts

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Good to know, Jonetta. She is doing a good job so far of distinguishing the voices. I had to take a break from the Nora Roberts books for a while. The last one I listened to this year was just blah.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Yeah, I understand. This one was supposed to be romantic suspense and it was just an interesting contemporary romance. If I hadn't listened to the book, I would probably have had a lower rating.

I hope the narrator holds up for you!

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Me too. I'll let you know :)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Finished Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost - a satisfying end to Cat and Bones's story if a little saccharine at the end.

Listening to Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - narrated by the incomparable Renee Raudman

message 13: by Caroline (new)

Caroline McLaughlin | 5 comments Samantha wrote: "Started to listen to Missing You by Harlan Coben which is narrated by January LaVoy. This is the first time that I'm listening to her. So far she narrates the female lead in a deeper voice tha..."

I just listened to "Missing You" (love all of Coben's books) and I am almost finished with "The Liar". I think January LaVoy does a fantastic job with both books. She is one of my favorites.

message 14: by Shell (new)

Shell | 1 comments Lauren wrote: "Listening to Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - narrated by the inco..."

I LOVED that novel! Can't wait for the sequel to come this year, and may end up re-listening to that one several times just because it was so good!

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Shell wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Listening to Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - narrated by the inco..."

I LOVED that novel! Can't wait for the sequel to come this year, and may end up re-listening to that one sev..."

I STILL haven't listened to it...I don't know what's with me and the new IA stuff. I should just take the plunge!

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Shell wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Listening to Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - narrated by the inco..."

I LOVED that novel! Can't wait for the sequel to come this year, and may end up re-listening to that one sev..."

Thanks Shell. I'm not that fat in but I'm enjoying it.

@D.G. - take the plunge!

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyvioletke) | 317 comments I'm listening to The Girl in 6E (Deanna Madden, #1) by Alessandra Torre . Not my usual fare, but I got into it very fast.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Finished Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - amazing, incredible, fantastic, stupendous! I'm running out of adjectives...

Now listening to Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia, #4) by Deanna Raybourn

message 19: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments This isn't a typical read for me but I want to buy I'm the One That I Want by Margaret Cho because it looks funny.
http://www.amazon.com/Im-One-That-I-W...

message 20: by Samantha (new)

I like Margaret Cho. She is funny.

So I did finish Missing You by Harlan Coben . The narrator did a great job. I was skeptical at first but she did a good job with the voices. I got all caught up in the story.

Now I'm listening to The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White and I'm loving the narrator, Aimee Bruneau.

message 21: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Samantha wrote: "I like Margaret Cho. She is funny.

So I did finish Missing You by Harlan Coben. The narrator did a great job. I was skeptical at first but she did a good job with the voices. I got all caught..."

I like that she is "real" and open about her struggles while interjecting humor

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Me too.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Samantha wrote: "Now I'm listening to The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White and I'm loving the narrator, Aimee Bruneau. "

I love this series. Enjoy!

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Lauren, it is so good right now. Have you read the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens? It has that same kind of feel to it. I love the Graveyard Queen series.

message 25: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - amazing, incredible, fantastic, stupendous! I'm running out of adjectives..."

Aaaah!!! I'll pick it up as I finish the book I'm reading now!

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Samantha wrote: "Lauren, it is so good right now. Have you read the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens? It has that same kind of feel to it. I love the Graveyard Queen series."

I adore The Graveyard Queen series! In fact, in my review for The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White , I recommend it to anyone whose read Amanda Stevens' books, lol!

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments D.G. wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Finished Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews - amazing, incredible, fantastic, stupendous! I'm running out of adjectives..."

Aaaah!!! I'll pick it up as I finish the book I'm reading now!"

You won't regret it, D.G.!

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Lol. I wonder when she would Will come out with the next book for the Graveyard Queen.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Samantha wrote: "Lol. I wonder when she would Will come out with the next book for the Graveyard Queen."

She took a break from writing after her husband passed away suddenly. She said that books #4 (The Visitor) and #5 (The Sinner) are written and will come out sometime this year.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

I remember hearing that her husband had passed away. That was sad. I'm glad to know that the next two books will come out soon. The series is awesome :)

message 31: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) by Garth Nix . Finally finishing the series. It's going way better than the second book, which I didn't like as much.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i started A Symphony of Echoes - this might be my more favorite new author/narrator discovery - i've listened to bk 1 and 3 in the last month (bk3 was nominated for an Audie in the paranormal category) - secret historical society that travels back in time for data-gathering - so far in this one, they are visiting jack the ripper's time

message 33: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to Harlan Coben's The Woods narrated by Scott Brick. Very good.

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

I'm listening to The Stranger by Harlan Coben, narrated by George Newbern.
The Stranger by Harlan Coben

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Harlan Coben is popular this month:)

message 36: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I hardly ever listen to non-romance (and I consider Amelia Peabody to be romance).

message 37: by Samantha (new)

Just finished The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White . It was good. I had moments where I wanted to smack the heroine. She is not the warmest person.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Samantha wrote: "Just finished The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White. It was good. I had moments where I wanted to smack the heroine. She is not the warmest person."

Lol! She certainly takes some getting used to and I also wanted to smack her upside the head at times. Nevertheless, I liked that she is prickly :0)

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Me too, Lauren. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. I want more of her interactions with Jack. Did you read the other books in the series?

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Samantha wrote: "Me too, Lauren. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. I want more of her interactions with Jack. Did you read the other books in the series?"

I've read all except for the last one. I'm kind of putting it off because I don't want it to end, lol! There are some very interesting developments with Jack :0)

message 41: by Samantha (new)

I can imagine. I have to hurry up and get back to it

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i'm finishing up Dregs - needed a book set in Norway for a challenge; then on to Cleopatra's Daughter which has been on my audible pile since 2011

message 43: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Finished Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) by Garth Nix which was great, now I'm onto Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2) by Amanda Carlson . Let's see if I like this sequel better...I love Therese Plummer as the narrator so I have high hopes!

message 44: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo, Kate Burkholder #2, and loved it! Here's my review.

I'm now listening to Snow Blind by P.J. Tracy, Monkeewrench #4.
Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2) by Linda Castillo Snow Blind (Monkeewrench, #4) by P.J. Tracy

message 45: by Samantha (new)

I'm listening to Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2) by Erica Spindler

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 487 comments Finished The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby, #1) by Anna Lee Huber , which I enjoyed immensely. It is similar to the Lady Julia books with a clever mystery that progresses at a solid pace (which is actually one of my problems with the Lady Julia books).

The hints at a romance are an added bonus and I look forward to seeing where this goes in the next book.

Heather Wilds narration is very good. She is one of the faster readers that I've encountered but I didn't feel the need to slow the narration. Her voices are not as distinct as they could have been, especially for the men but that's not a deal breaker.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished listening to Cleopatra's Daughter yesterday - enjoyed it much more than I thought - its been loitering on the TBL for several years

listening to Innocent Traitor in the car

message 48: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Oh boy...forgot to post here. Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2) by Amanda Carlson was too much for me. Definitely not continuing this series...

Now I'm listening to The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3) by Elizabeth Peters . So freaking funny!

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Samantha wrote: "Still listening to Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters. I love Amelia. I haven't had the chance to listen like I want but I should be finished later today."

Great series, Amelia is awesome.

message 50: by Sue (last edited May 26, 2015 05:18PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lauren wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Just finished The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White. It was good. I had moments where I wanted to smack the heroine. She is not the warmest person."

Lol! She certainly tak..."

Too funny I just ripped through the Tradd street series this past winter, loved em. I'm already planning a trip south to visit Charleston historic district. Hopefully a ghost walk can be found :).

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.