##books discussion

Book Club Discussions > May 2015: The Cyberiad by Stanisław Lem

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina, Klonk Zedong (new)

Kristina (klonk) | 25 comments Mod
A new month is here, and this month we'll be reading The Cyberiad by Stanisław Lem. So get your copies, start reading - and come back here to discuss it!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments After reading about half of it there's one thing I'm pretty sure about: Douglas Adams was inspired by this work.

message 3: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 3 comments Yeah I'd say Lem's style is very influential. As I recall, the Ijon Tichy and Pirx the Pilot stories share a similar comic vein.

Lem's Wikipedia bio says the only American science fiction writer he appreciated was Philip K Dick, although Dick reciprocated with characteristic paranoia.

message 4: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 3 comments Here is an interesting review of the Cyberiad. There is mention that Douglas Hofstadter's book "Ton Beau de Marot" discusses some of the translation issues.

http://tal.forum2.org/cyberiad

message 5: by Gridcube, I am the walrus (new)

Gridcube | 34 comments Mod
Wow this book was intense, the whole parts of the poetry of maths, the peeks to the history of this beings, the evolution of cultures, the pettiness of the constructors and their small mindedness while being incredibly smart. I loved it :D