Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Carbs & Cadavers
Featured Series and Cozies > Supper Club Mysteries (Carbs & Cadavers) - J.B. Stanley

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited May 01, 2015 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nell | 2662 comments Mod
The May 2015 featured theme is "Health and Fitness". The series selected is the Supper Club Mysteries by J.B. Stanley. The main character is James Henry, a librarian in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The first book in the series is Carbs & Cadavers.
Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley

Other books in the series are:
Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2) by J.B. Stanley Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3) by J.B. Stanley Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4) by J.B. Stanley The Battered Body (A Supper Club Mystery, #5) by J.B. Stanley Black Beans and Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6) by J.B. Stanley

Post your comments about the series here. If you are talking about a specific book, let us know which one.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments This is a series written under the name JB Stanley, aka Ellery Adams. I really like this series and have read the first four. I will skim back through Carbs and Cadavers to discuss but I am going to read the final two that I haven't read yet in the series.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Some things to consider:

If you have read other series by Ellery Adams/Lucy Arlington/JB Stanley, how does this one compare?

This series has a male protagonist, how does that make it a different read for you? Or does it?

Did you enjoy the book and would you continue with the series?

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments FYI this is currently $2.99 in the Kindle edition

message 5: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments So happy to find this thread. (It took me time to find my way around.) I bought Carbs and Cadavers and will start reading it on the bus tomorrow.

message 6: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 6 comments I love this book. I have never read a super club mystery before but I don't feel like I'm missing anything from previous books...
I almost halfway through and I'm sort of dieting along with the characters! just because I really like them and because I live to REALLY get into books. It's quite fun.
I'm really enjoying this one so far.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Natasha wrote: "I love this book. I have never read a super club mystery before but I don't feel like I'm missing anything from previous books...
I almost halfway through and I'm sort of dieting along with the cha..."

I am so glad you like it! I love this series. The whole idea of a group of people having a "healthy" supper club and becoming friends is a great theme. The characters are well drawn and I like the male lead as well.

message 8: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments What wonderful characters. I love James Henry and Lindy and the other group members. Looking forward to reading more.

Nell | 2662 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "I love this book. I have never read a super club mystery before but I don't feel like I'm missing anything from previous books...
I almost halfway through and I'm sort of dieting along with the cha..."

Natasha - Which book are you reading?

message 10: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments I am further into the book now and really like the group approach to setting up their diet, moving toward exercise and especially sleuthing. Having a grand time.

message 11: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 6 comments Fanficfan44 wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I love this book. I have never read a super club mystery before but I don't feel like I'm missing anything from previous books...
I almost halfway through and I'm sort of dieting al..."

I completely agree. James is a great protagonist. I just finished Carbs & Cadavers and I'm onto the next one Fit to Die!! I have completely fallen in love with the series.

message 12: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 6 comments Nell wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I love this book. I have never read a super club mystery before but I don't feel like I'm missing anything from previous books...
I almost halfway through and I'm sort of dieting al..."

Carbs & Cadavders. For some reason I thought it wasn't the first one in the series but just found out it is. So I'm onto the next one. :)

message 13: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments I think James is far more heroic than he thinks he is!

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Terrie wrote: "I think James is far more heroic than he thinks he is!"
Yes - he seems to think far less of himself than he should. His character really develops over the series.

message 15: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah | 3 comments I enjoyed the book and love the dynamic of team/multiple sleuths. I'm glad it was the first in the series. I'm looking forward to reading another one.

Katherine Decker | 96 comments I really enjoyed Carbs & Cadavers. The Flab Five characters are fun and I can't wait for their next adventure. Usually I wait a bit to read more of a series, but this time I can't wait so I've already requested Fit to Die from the library.

message 17: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah | 3 comments I just picked up Fir to Die on my nook for $4. Looking forward to starting over the holiday weekend.

message 18: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 6 comments I'm waiting for my copy of Fit to Die to come in mail! Is it possible to have a group discussion for this book too?

message 19: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments I am going to finish Carbs and Cadavers tonight. Yay me!!

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Natasha wrote: "I'm waiting for my copy of Fit to Die to come in mail! Is it possible to have a group discussion for this book too?"

Often people continue to post on a thread for a book of the month when they read later books in the series. You could also try posting for a buddy read. I have read the most of the books in this series because I really liked it, it is one of my favorites. If I see postings about it I am sure that I will respond.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Terrie wrote: "I am going to finish Carbs and Cadavers tonight. Yay me!!"

I hope that you are enjoying it!

message 22: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Moran | 16 comments I scrambled to finish Carbs and Cadavers last night because I am having grandkids sleep over today and tomorrow so I won't get any reading in at all. Have to say I loved the book. Not sure when I'll have time to read the next one but I am ordering it so I will have it at the ready. Love the main characters, their interactions with each other and the other folks in the book. I hope that exercise picks up in book 2. Here I am worrying about the health of fictional characters!! LOL

Valerie (rainstar76) I like the idea of the book, five people coming together to try and change their lifestyles for the better, in turn becoming friends, but I was incredibly disappointed with it.

I found the characters to be rather flat, without a lot of personality. I found the plotline only marginally interesting. I had to really force myself not to skip to the end of the book just to finish the darn thing. The setting seemed a little too "hokey" for me. All around, I just didn't enjoy it.

It's interesting because I really enjoy Ellery Adams "Books By the Bay" series, but that seems to be the only series of hers that I've liked so far. I didn't like the Charming Pie Shoppe series and I didn't like this one. I have one of her "Collectibles" series on my Kindle app but I haven't started yet, so we'll see how I like that one.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Valerie wrote: "I like the idea of the book, five people coming together to try and change their lifestyles for the better, in turn becoming friends, but I was incredibly disappointed with it.

I found the charac..."

Out of the JB Stanley/ Ellery Adams series, this is the only one that I liked. I liked the first book in the Charming Pies but then it seemed to veer off in to left field. I didn't like the new one at all..Still not every series is for every one.

message 25: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah | 3 comments I just started reading the second one. Anyone else reading it we can compare and see if we liked as well as the first.

Katherine Decker | 96 comments Deborah wrote: "I just started reading the second one. Anyone else reading it we can compare and see if we liked as well as the first."

I just got the second one from my library and hope to start it in the next few days.

message 27: by Nell (last edited Jun 01, 2015 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nell | 2662 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "I'm waiting for my copy of Fit to Die to come in mail! Is it possible to have a group discussion for this book too?"

Nathasha - This thread is for discussing all of the books in the series.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments oooh are there more than the 1st two and why did the name change?!

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments The books have been released under two different author names JB Stanley and Ellery Adams. I think there are 6 of them in all.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Excellent! That's some of my summer reading sorted out then!

Katherine Decker | 96 comments Currently reading the second one, Fit to Die and liking it even more than the first one.

message 32: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 18, 2015 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments @Katherine

I'm glad that you are liking it. I have picked some bad books in some of my groups so it is good to hear that people liked one I selected. The whole series appealed to me, the group of people, the theme of a healthy eating club, and the characters.