Dystopian Society discussion

The Giver by Lois Lowry > The Giver by Lois Lowry

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) This month's YA book is The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's a book that has had a few requests before but I was previously trying to narrow our selections to the adult section.

When I added new categories (turning one book pick a month into three) I made a post laying out new rules. I said that if we pick a book in a series we will automatically extend the pick to two months long and read the whole series. I think it's a better idea to take a poll about it. In order to provide ample time to read it all in case of voting yes, I'm going to put up a poll immediately for deciding whether this series will extend into June for YA. Remember that you can change your vote at any time.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
I just put a hold on the Giver Quartet at the library E-zone. I am happy to re-read this series! I read The Giver just a few months ago, after having it on my TBR list for a while. I'm a little too old to have been giving this as reading in school, but I understand that's it's a staple of school reading lists now.

Just wondered - how many read this in school? I think it's a good choice for high school, and I await discussions!

message 3: by Jane (new)

Finished re-reading this last night. It's a quick read. I enjoyed Lois Lowry's introduction, where she tells about the piles of mail from all over the world she's received about this book. Mostly from young adults, but older readers too. I love how the book starts so slowly and gently - describing an almost utopian existence. Then - WHAM - you get hit with the dystopia. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) I just finished it too and I really enjoyed it more than I expected to. (view spoiler) I can't wait to read the rest and I hope we vote for that for June. Either way I'm reading the series.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Funny - I also remembered it wrong, and I just read it a few months ago (view spoiler)

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) I haven't seen the movie and I'm afraid of being disapointed in it but who knows, could be good. I'll probably watch it when I'm done reading the series.

message 7: by Kane (new)

Kane | 2 comments Sandhouse wrote: "I haven't seen the movie and I'm afraid of being disapointed in it but who knows, could be good. I'll probably watch it when I'm done reading the series."

I saw the movie first and I don't think either is better but they do certainly diverge in some noticeable ways. I look forward to both reading and seeing the next items in the series.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments I thought it was odd that no one saw anything in color. I didn't see the movie so I assume this would stand out even more. I can understand no color in clothing or on houses or general items, but how does the general population keep from seeing a blue sky or green grass? I had a hard time believing this aspect of it.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Sandhouse wrote: "I haven't seen the movie and I'm afraid of being disapointed in it but who knows, could be good. I'll probably watch it when I'm done reading the series."

I watched the movie 2 weeks ago, after re-reading the book. It stays fairly close to the major events in the book, and gets the "gist" of it. Like many movies made from books, it is it's own. I try to appreciate the movie for what it is - a movie BASED on the book. The one major complaint I had was the head person in the movie (Meryl Streep). There was no all-powerful ruler in the book - it was more by committee and the whole community policed itself. Meryl was a bit all-knowing and, well, a bit of a big ole bitch. And she suddenly had a huge army/police force on motorcycles to chase The Receiver. That threw me - the village was all bicycles, and then WHAM - motorbikes! I also didn't like that his friend was given a different job than in the book, but I suppose they had to, to make a suspenseful escape scene at the end.

Yes, the slow gaining of color by The Receiver was pretty cool to see on film - very much like I imagined it after reading it. I didn't have a hard time with the general population not seeing color - but then again I was brought up to eagerly await the once yearly screening of The Wizard of Oz, on our NEW color TV. Watching this reminded me of that experience.

I hope they continue the movie adaptations of the rest of the series.

message 10: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 34 comments I have read all four and enjoyed them very much. The Giver has a chance to become a modern classic. I think it may be one of those books for today's young that be passed to their children.

message 11: by Feb (new)

Feb (febriansr) I just finished this book! I love it! I still wait the indonesian version of the 2nd book

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments Febrian_Admaja wrote: "I just finished this book! I love it! I still wait the indonesian version of the 2nd book"

The 2nd book is a completely different story from the 1st but the 3rd ties them both together.