Contemporary YA discussion

I'll Give You the Sun
This topic is about I'll Give You the Sun
Group Reads > I'll Give You the Sun

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.

1. What did you like best about the book?
2. What did you like the least about the book?
3. Did any characters stand out to you?
4. Would you recommend this book?
5. Were there any lessons learned?

message 2: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
Seems an amazing book! I'll give it a try!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE the gripping tale of the siblings and how the chapters from each perspective entwine very perfectly. I thought it was so clever. But I do dislike how simple it all had ended, and how come no book 2??? YES! I love everyone in the book! I thought the twins were very brilliant and quirky! I would definitely recommend this book!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVED THIS BOOK. the best contemporary read in my eyes. I loved the characters and the story just everything about this book. I cant give enough praise to this book and Jandy Nelson.

message 5: by Quirky Omega (new)

Quirky Omega | 24 comments I have to see. everybody's so positive about it. I guess its a must read

Lucinda | 1 comments Just started it, awesome so far

message 7: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
Great comments...Keep them coming. The story sounds really unique and interesting.

Kristen Otte (kristenotte) I read this book a few months ago. I really adored the book overall. I wonder how many teens actually read this book. It seemed a little more literary than your typical contemporary ya.
-The dual points of view with the varying timelines
-The mystery element of the story - reading to figure out what happened with this family
-The characters!
Dislikes:
-The long chapter lengths
-some of the quirky language

message 9: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica D`souza (erica_97) I really hope I can buy this someday. It's just so expensive on the internet

czarmaine (bookishbananas) (bookishbananas) | 6 comments i love this book! deserves all the stars ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆!! i liked the dual points of view. how we jumped to Noah's 13 ish POVS to June's 16 yr old POVS. i need a physical copy of it like ASAP! i learned a lot in this book. it points out a lot of topics that are dealt with right now and i just cant give this book enough praise. i need to read more of Jandy's books :-) and i just like finished reading the book like 5 mins ago XD

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill O'D I LOVED this book.

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments I loved getting inside Noah's mind. It was almost like a direct connection to someone who is ADHD with the way his mind was constantly jumping.

I would have preferred shorter chapters and the oracle mojo kinda got on my nerves at times. I wish it didn't have such a simple I saw-this-a-mile-away rom-com ending.

I'd definitely recommend this book to others