Contemporary YA discussion

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
This topic is about To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Group Reads > To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited May 01, 2015 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
Description: To All the Boys I've Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

1. What did you like best about the book?
2. What did you like the least about the book?
3. Did any characters stand out to you?
4. Would you recommend this book?
5. Were there any lessons learned?

message 2: by Beatrice (last edited May 02, 2015 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) 1. What did you like best about the book?
- The story itself. Just the whole idea of writing letters to your crush but secretly kept because you can't confess your feelings in front of their face (unless you have the guts to tell them.). It's really adorable.

- When Peter Kavinsky acts like a jerk.

- Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean Song. Omg. They are so cute, adorable. Swoon worthy, fluffy romance.

- YES. Especially when you have a reading slump.

- Hmm.. I guess "No guts, No glory." though sometimes it can be awkward.

message 3: by Nita (last edited May 02, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - added it

Nita Kohli (nitakohli) 1. What did you like best about the book?
-The story, the humor, the characters...everything about this book is amazing!
-I would say nothing. This book was flawless.
-I loved the main character Lara Jean. I liked the way she wants to set up a good example for her younger sister.
-Of course! This book has to be read.
-Do not write letters to your secret crushes and if you do, keep them locked and some place safe :);)

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula Larsson | 6 comments What I liked most about this book is the relationship Lara Jean has with her sisters, it made me want to have a sister.The ending is pretty awesome, really clever.

What I didn't like about the book - How come the love triangle involves her sister's ex? Sorry but I don't like this. Also it seemed to me that there had to be more mortification when she found out about the letters.

Characters I like - Lara Jean is funny!

I woudl recommend this book.

Lessons learned - keep your private stuff locked!

message 5: by Quirky Omega (new)

Quirky Omega | 24 comments I agree with Paula. Lara Jean should've known better than to keep her personal stuff in open sight. :P
The book was pretty good! light and thoughtful and original.

message 6: by larissa (last edited May 03, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

larissa (kellsmaresh) 1. What did you like best about the book?
The story, the the characters, everything about this book is good.

One word: Genevieve

They all stood out, but Kitty and Peter has my heart.

Of course! The world needs to read this book.

That love is found in strange places.

Rivkah (rivkahgee) 1. What did you like best about the book?
The relationship between the sisters and their loyalty. I have a younger and older sister and I will learn from these three because my sisters and I bicker a lot...
I don't like peter too much. Not his features, of course, but his personality.
Margot. after her mother passed away she put away all of her needs and resentments and took care of her sisters.
yes. its really great
nothing stays a secret

Great comments and opinions they've made me super excited to start the book today. It sounds like there's many lessons to take away and several characters to like and dislike...I love it. And I didn't realize there's a sister element. I should be memorizing a speech but I want to read...I better do both so I don't look foolish giving my presentation. So many books to read, so little time. Keep the discussion going. You all are awesome!

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I just started it this weekend and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm really liking Lara Jean! She's a refreshing delight and very entertaining. For those of you who wanted to read it, but don't have...it's available on Youtube in audio. I've never listened to books on YouTube and I just recently learned about them, but here's the link if you want to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFZ9c...

I loved this book! I added it to my favorites. Spoilers ahead

1. What did you like best about the book?
Everything I loved the storytelling it was funny and sad and frustrating. The characters were real and so entertaining. Lara Jean and all her "quirkiness" and the rituals like ordering grilled cheese and tomato soup with her sister and Josh, baking Christmas cookies and her father trying to cook Korean dishes...I loved it all! Lara Jean's lies made me laugh out loud like telling her sister she was adopted...and that's why she took up gymnastics...so funny and how she told Josh about having a twin. How the sister's truly looked out for each other and their dad.

2. What did you like the least about the book? The ending. There were parts where I was frustrated and worried or feeling bad for Lara Jean, but that added to the experience.

Other than Lara Jean all of them were interesting well developed character. I feel like I know them. I loved Kitty and Margot. Kitty was wise beyond her years and funny. Margot was strong and took on the role of mother...alot of responsibility for a teenager. I loved how Peter changed as well, but Genevieve is a truly mean girl. I would cheer if she moves away in book 2.

Absolutely YES! I'm going to read everything by Jenny Han now.

5. Were there any lessons learned? Don't spend your life in a fantasy world..live it! My favorite quote for the book “Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.”

If I could ask Jenny Han a question about this book I would ask...I read that this book is semi autobiographical. If that's correct, which parts were true?

message 12: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I'm about 80% done with this and liking it so much! It's kind of a guilty pleasure read for me, as it's a lot lighter than my usual fare. I won't read the comments above til I finish bc I'm afraid of spoiling it!

Zainab Ali 1.What I liked most:
Loved everything about this book! It was such an entertaining read that I could not put it down. The characters were so lovable and adorable and aahhh! I just love this book a lot <3

2. What I didn't like:
Nothing! Nothing at all. It was just perfect. Okay, maybe I did hate a few things. One thing actually. Genevieve. Like, can you stop blowing holes in my ship please? Thanks

3. Favourite character:
KITTY! She was my absolute fave. She was so sassy and fabulous. I wish I was that sassy when I was 9 years old. oh, well

4. Would i recommend this book:
Definitely! Everyone should read it

5. Lessons learnt:
I don't know, I guess 'keep your private stuff locked up' or 'just don't write letters to your crushes if you don't plan on giving it to them', same as everyone else said.

message 14: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I finished! I loved this book! I've been in a hater slump lately, really not liking the books I've picked up. So I was expecting to have to struggle through this one as well, esp. bc I didn't like the other book I read by this author.

But...I loved it!

1. I loved the characters. They were all flawed and real. I loved that Peter wasn't too-good-to-be-true or a manslut. He was just a regular guy! And I liked that Lara Jean was a homebody who liked baking and doing stuff with her family. It seems like all the YA I've read lately is about dysfunctional families and bad boys/girls. This was refreshing.

2. What I didn't like:
I also felt like Lara Jean wasn't embarrassed enough by the letters being sent. She just sort of acted like it was mildly annoying. I would have never shown my face again!

3. Favorite character: Kitty and Peter and Lara Jean. They were all hilarious and I wanted to hug them!

4. Recommended!!!

5. Lessons: Stay true to yourself and live your life.

I'm a little late to the celebration party... There's going to be a third book!

To all my fans who asked me for one more book about Lara Jean...this one's for you.

Evidently I don't know how to copy and paste a tweet. I did get a like from Jenny Han when I retweeted ♥

I'll try again:

To all my fans who asked me for one more book about Lara Jean...this one's for you.