Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Week 19: 4th - 10th May

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited May 01, 2015 05:03AM) (new)

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
We are up to Week 19 of the challenge.

The topic for this week is:

19. a book based on a true story

Guidelines:

* You must read and review at least 1 book of any genre.
* REMEMBER to sign up on the home page and name your folder, WEEKLY CHALLENGE: Week 19...https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
* ADD the link to your folder here in the weekly discussion/topic thread.
* Don't forget to have fun!

Challenge will begin Monday 4th and End Sunday 10th May.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I'm going to read Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I just watched the movie with Reese Witherspoon and bought the book right away.

message 4: by Sylvia (new)

I'm going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz since it's based on true accounts

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'm going to read Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I just watched the movie with Reese W..."

Oh, that should be a good one.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
Ugghh...I will probably bomb this week as well.

message 7: by Sylvia (last edited May 01, 2015 04:55PM) (new)

Tracy wrote: "Ugghh...I will probably bomb this week as well."

No you won't. Why don't you try the book I'm going to read.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

A really good book for this week would be A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer #1) by Dave Pelzer however, it is totally heart wrenching.

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "A really good book for this week would be A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer #1) by Dave Pelzer however, it is totally heart wrenching."

Yeah, I've avoided that book!

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

I really loved The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank so that's another good one to tackle for those who haven't read it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Sylvia wrote: "I really loved The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank so that's another good one to tackle for those who haven't read it."

I have that one I need to read at some point. Come on Tracy, you can find one. Girl power :-)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz since it's based on true accounts"

Oh I think I'll go with this one as well.

message 13: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz since it's based on true accounts"

I might do this one too Sylvia since I really don't do nonfiction well LOL!

message 14: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz since it's based on true accounts"

Oh I think I'll go with this one as well."

Yup me too Sara :)

message 15: by Sylvia (new)

Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Sarah's book A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas comes out Tuesday. Its got to be based on something true.

Lol

message 17: by Sylvia (new)

Sara wrote: "Sarah's book A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas comes out Tuesday. Its got to be based on something true.

Lol"

Lol

message 18: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "Sarah's book A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas comes out Tuesday. Its got to be based on something true.

Lol"

YES! I agree Sara let's look into that LOL! And we can read this one instead hahahahaha!

message 19: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?"

Buddy read. Buddy read!!

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?"

Yeah Sylvia. If I can find it. My library doesn't have it.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?"

Buddy read. Buddy read!!"

Yes!!! That's a great idea. Will set it up for Monday :D who's in?

message 22: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?"

Yeah Sylvia. If I can find it. My library doesn't have it."

Oh man, I hope you can find it hun *fingers crossed*

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments If y'all are talking about reading A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas I have mine coming sometime on Tuesday when it comes out. I would like to do a buddy read with it.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Woohoo! We are all going to be reading this one together, love it. Tracy, you want to join in?"

Buddy read. Buddy read!!"

Yes!!! That's a great idea. Will set it up..."

I'm in.

message 25: by Sylvia (new)

Excellent, the more the merrier!!

message 26: by Tracy (new)

I'm confused. Which book are we reading?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I'm reading Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed for this challenge. I was going to try to do the buddy read of the other book that is pre-ordered for Tues. I'm not sure how everyone else is doing it.

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Tracy wrote: "I'm confused. Which book are we reading?"

The buddy read is for Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Sara wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I'm confused. Which book are we reading?"

The buddy read is for Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz"

That's what I thought but then I got confused. I need to find this one.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Guess I was mistaken. Y'all enjoy :-)

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Melissa wrote: "Guess I was mistaken. Y'all enjoy :-)"

Sorry Melissa. We were just joking around with Court of Thorns...but most of us are going to be reading it soon too. Just not for this challenge.

message 32: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "Guess I was mistaken. Y'all enjoy :-)"

It's all good hun, like Sara said we most probably be reading this very soon so we can totally buddy read that book too when it comes out :D

message 33: by Sylvia (new)

Okay, for those of you who are going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz I've opened up a buddy read folder so we can discuss the book as we read. Here is the link…https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Tracy (new)

So...I went with Here's to Falling and I've finished. Just going to wait for you guts to read so I can discuss.

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy H (the_other_katy) | 66 comments I'll be posting a review Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand in a couple of minutes...just have to figure out what in the World to say!

message 36: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) So are these stories "based on true" or can we read like someone's memoir?

message 37: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Tracy wrote: "So...I went with Here's to Falling and I've finished. Just going to wait for you guts to read so I can discuss."

LOL! Wow, Tracy you're on fire!

message 38: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Okay, for those of you who are going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz I've opened up a buddy read folder so we can discuss the book as we read. Here is the link…https://www.goodreads...."

Thanks Sylvia, I'll try to get over to the buddy read soon :)

message 39: by Sylvia (new)

Justine wrote: "So are these stories "based on true" or can we read like someone's memoir?"

Hmmm you could go with a memoir I guess

message 40: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "So...I went with Here's to Falling and I've finished. Just going to wait for you guts to read so I can discuss."

Oh wow! I haven't even started lol I've been so busy my reading has suffered guh

message 41: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Okay, for those of you who are going to read Here's to Falling by Christine Zolendz I've opened up a buddy read folder so we can discuss the book as we read. Here is the link…https:..."

:D don't worry hun, I haven't even began lol

message 42: by Justine (last edited May 04, 2015 04:42AM) (new)

Justine (justinen) Sylvia wrote: "Justine wrote: "So are these stories "based on true" or can we read like someone's memoir?"

Hmmm you could go with a memoir I guess"

Okay great lol. I waiting on A Work In Progress by Connor Franta and Laughing at My Nightmare by Shane Burcaw so hopefully they will get here before Friday haha

message 43: by Sylvia (new)

Justine wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Justine wrote: "So are these stories "based on true" or can we read like someone's memoir?"

Hmmm you could go with a memoir I guess"

Okay great lol. I waiting on [bookcover:A Work..."

Hope so too :D

message 44: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 312 comments Melissa wrote: "If y'all are talking about reading A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas I have mine coming sometime on Tuesday when it comes out. I would like to do a buddy read with it."

I've been dying to read this! I'm ordering my copy on Friday!

I got an advanced reader's copy of An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir . It's really good so far!

message 45: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 312 comments The book that I want to read this week isn't really based on a single true story. It tells more about all the crazy things the Romanov's did in their 300 year rule.

Does that count?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Savannah wrote: "Melissa wrote: "If y'all are talking about reading A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas I have mine coming sometime on Tuesday when it comes out. I would like to do a buddy read with it..."

That's awesome Savannah :-)

message 47: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 312 comments Well, I'm going to read Secret Lives of the Tsars Three Centuries of Autocracy, Debauchery, Betrayal, Murder, and Madness from Romanov Russia by Michael Farquhar .

If it doesn't count, just let me know! :-)

message 48: by Sylvia (new)

Savannah wrote: "The book that I want to read this week isn't really based on a single true story. It tells more about all the crazy things the Romanov's did in their 300 year rule.

Does that count?"

That's totally fine hun

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Can I cheat on the next one and just read one off my to read list. I don't want to buy another book right now and I'm so depressed over having all of these netgalley books. I can't get to my own books or continue on my Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor I did a buddy read on my new book I finished today because I just had to put my foot down or stroke out. I'm behind on reading any group books from the few I like which this is one. I'm depressed. They sent me all of these books at once from netgalley. I'm going to lay off them for awhile unless I just do one. They make you wait forever them they do a ton at once. I think I still have 7 or 8 to read. They are good but the stress of getting them read is too much!! I want to read with all the peeps I enjoy. All of you all are all I have, just a few of you that I talk to on here.

message 50: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "Can I cheat on the next one and just read one off my to read list. I don't want to buy another book right now and I'm so depressed over having all of these netgalley books. I can't get to my own bo..."

That's the very reason why I don't sign up to Netgalley. I'd rather enjoy reading then feel pressured to read and review books asap. It's also why I don't accept too many read 2 review's from authors. Too much pressure ruins the fun out of reading. I say lay off them for a while, read the books they sent you then get to reading something you want.

« previous 1