Horror Aficionados discussion

The Shuddering
This topic is about The Shuddering
Group Reads > May 2015 Group Read #3 - The Shuddering

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scot (new) - added it

Scot | 639 comments The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn is Group Read #3 (mod power is a great thing, isn't it??)

Discuss it here. Enjoy and use spoilers.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I'm going to be way late to the party this month, as I just started a huge proofreading job - probably be a couple of weeks before I start. Been wanting to read one of her books for a while, so I'm anxious to finally get a chance!

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Awesome! I'm in!

message 6: by WendyB (new) - added it

WendyB  | 3231 comments Mod
Just ordered the book today. Should have it by early next week. Sounds good. Can't wait.

Missy | 199 comments Ordering this week, I will join in as soon as I can!

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I loved this book. Consider me lurking.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Just at the beginning, we have guests for the weekend so little time to read, but I'm loving campy horror movie feel to the book.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill | 33 comments I'm in. I've been wanting to read this for a while.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I have this on kindle unlimited. It's in line to read. I'm hoping to read this WITH you guys! The month goes by too fast!

Nicole | 26 comments I was just looking into this book an hour ago on Kindle Unlimited. I have a few others to finish up, but I hope to join in soon on this one!

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I'm currently starting chapter 4. I must say that so far the novel seems like it will be very predictable, but am hoping that Ania throws us a few surprises.... But even if the story unfolds exactly like I am figuring it will, it is still a fun read. Anyone want to take bets on the order the friends will get picked off? I'm figuring that April is the first to go.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Just noticed that an audiobook is available, and I can get it for $2 since I own the Kindle ebook. I may jump on that, since I'm likely to get to it much faster that way. Just FYI, in case anyone else is in the same boat!

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments I just finished and was pretty disappointed. As Marc-Antoine noted, it was very predictable, but beyond that, I thought there were some serious plot holes. I'll wait until more people have finished before discussing those issues in more detail.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Ok I just added this to my kindle unlimited!!

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 952 comments Melissa wrote: "Ok I just added this to my kindle unlimited!!"

I got a copy on Kindle, so I'll get started tomorrow.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Here is my death watch list as I see it:

In order of demise

1. April
2. Lauren
3. Sawyer
4. Ryan
5. Jane (at the very end)

Starting chapter 4 now, let's see if I get these right...

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 952 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "Here is my death watch list as I see it:

In order of demise

1. April
2. Lauren
3. Sawyer
4. Ryan
5. Jane (at the very end)

Starting chapter 4 now, let's see if I get these right..."

I'm agreeing with your list. See how it goes. About 25% in.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I did not mention the dog Oona, but I believe she will be the sole survivor. I don't think Ania has it in her to kill off the dog. It's not like we are reading Jack Ketchum here...

message 21: by Marc-Antoine (last edited May 06, 2015 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Chapter 5; (view spoiler). ....really????

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 43 comments First thoughts - first scene was pretty bad. I never understand why authors want to take that initial tense scene in a horror and intersperse it with recollections and ponderings.

Sorry, Don. You might be an interesting guy and have a wonderful life with Jenny, but I don't care. Your purpose in this story is to die quickly and horribly. Don't spoil my buzz.

I'm about 30% in and Jane isn't impressing me much, and Lauren is doing anything for me either. I love Huskies so Oona is on the top of my list of characters so far.

It really annoys me to have waded through several scenes and read Lauren's thoughts that Jane and Ryan are so in sync. Thanks for telling me that, but it might have been more effective if there was even a slight display of this "in-syncness" beforehand. And honestly, were a whole bunch of friends really just going to leave Jane with the dishes after she spent hours preparing dinner and dessert for them? And she was going to make like a human doormat and be happy about that? Ick.

The whole thing has been formulaic so far (substitute cabin in the woods for chalet mansion in the woods). Having said that, I'm not hating it and the read is not demanding, which could be a benefit when everything hits the fan.

I don't think any of that warrants a spoiler tag, but yell out if you think I'm revealing too much.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I'd say you are bang on, Caleb. I'm a huge fan of Ania's so far, but this one is surprising me. I found her other stories to be fresh and original, this one seems to be following the age old horror formula. Still a fun read, though...

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Beginning chapter 7 (view spoiler)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Page 172 (view spoiler)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Page 266 (view spoiler)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Although I am really finding this a fun light read, I don't care much for any of the characters. They all seem one dimensional, and the relationships seem superficial. Any one else get the same vibe?

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Finished... (view spoiler)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I didn't care all that much about the characters but I didn't hate them either. Overall, I thought it was a fun book.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments No disagreement there.

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments Now that it looks like several people have finished, I really had a problem with (view spoiler)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Deborah wrote: "Now that it looks like several people have finished, I really had a problem with [spoilers removed]"

Also (view spoiler)

Tracy Fobes (tracyfobes) | 8 comments still reading. enjoying it, though. not feeling too scared at this point.

message 35: by WendyB (new) - added it

My book finally arrived and I'm just a few pages in. Seems like a fast read.

Caleb Blake (caleb72) | 43 comments Deborah wrote: "Now that it looks like several people have finished, I really had a problem with [spoilers removed]"

Yes, Deborah. I had a real problem with that, but I honestly don't think the author spared any thought for details in this novel.

Mini-review in spoilers for now...
(view spoiler)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments Caleb wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Now that it looks like several people have finished, I really had a problem with [spoilers removed]"

Yes, Deborah. I had a real problem with that, but I honestly don't think the au..."

Caleb, her others are better.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I loved Seed, The Neighbors and The Bird Eater, I found all to be original and well written. This one surprised me, but I think you may be right Caleb and it may be an homage to the budget horro flick.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Seed and The bird Eater both gave me nightmares as well!!!

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Caleb wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Now that it looks like several people have finished, I really had a problem with [spoilers removed]"

Yes, Deborah. I had a real problem with that, but I honestly don't think the au..."

Hey Caleb, I think you should read Seed. It is, by far, her best book. It seems like after that one, everything went downhill. The Neighbors was just okay, at least somewhat original, but this one was lacking and The Bird Eater was just god awful. I mean really bad. I probably won't read another book by her after that one. It is too bad because Seed was really, really good.

message 41: by WendyB (new) - added it

uhoh... from the comments here about the author I really hope I don't regret also getting her latest book Within These Walls when I bought The Shuddering.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I just finished the book. I didn't really care about the characters. Lauren seemed like the only cool one. I loved Oona the most and the creatures were amazing. I would like to see them in a movie!!

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 952 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "Page 266 [spoilers removed]"

I liked your idea of the death watch, LOL!

Although the book was formulaic, I think there is always room for just a good scary story.

I enjoyed it. Now waiting for my copy of Heart Shaped Box...on to the next one!

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) I'm about 30 pages in, and I'm hating it so far, mainly because the writing is pretty bad. There's a lot of overexplaining, exposition about characters that aren't going to be part of the story, and general lazy prose (such as the author using popular film comparisons to describe situations instead of writing her own scenario). In particular, (view spoiler)

Ahlstrom hasn't even introduced all of the characters yet, and I'm ready for them all to die. :p

I did think the first 10 pages were pretty cool, so maybe it picks up once the story gets going.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments WendyB wrote: "uhoh... from the comments here about the author I really hope I don't regret also getting her latest book Within These Walls when I bought The Shuddering."

i have that one on it's way... I have read all of her books so far, and IMHO she is a great author. Even though I was somewhat surprised with The Shuddering, she is usually quite original and a great writer.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Katy wrote: "Marc-Antoine wrote: "Page 266 [spoilers removed]"

I liked your idea of the death watch, LOL!

Although the book was formulaic, I think there is always room for just a good scary story.

I enjoyed ..."

Thank you, Katy. I agree that this book was still a fun read. I loved Heart Shaped Box, and hope that you also enjoy it. I have just ordered The Pilo Family Circus as the comments in that thread have got me interested.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Jeremy wrote: "I'm about 30 pages in, and I'm hating it so far, mainly because the writing is pretty bad. There's a lot of overexplaining, exposition about characters that aren't going to be part of the story, a..."

My death watch list for the characters also had me rooting for their demise... does that make me a horrible person?

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments i have also noticed that Ania has another book coming out; Brother... I have just preordered!

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill | 33 comments End of chapter seven. I'm not enjoying this very much. The story is pretty generic and I don't care about the main characters (and actively hate a few). So far I've enjoyed the short vignettes at the beginning of each chapter more than the main story. (view spoiler)

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) Halfway through, and (view spoiler)

« previous 1