Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > May Group Read #2 - Pilo Family Circus

Comments Showing 1-50 of 214 (214 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliot is Group Read #2.

Discuss it here, but use spoilers!!

message 2: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments I read this one already so I'll be visiting this thread every now and then to see what everyone thinks.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments Yeah, I read and enjoyed this one too. Curious to see what others think. Go team Gonko

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10644 comments Mod
I'm going to participate in this one. I've read Heart Shaped Box.

message 5: by Kasia (last edited May 02, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2744 comments Mod
I have Pilo, bought it years ago after I heard Tressa talk about it :) I have a ton of books going ( reading House of Leaves right now actually) but I'm going to try and squeeze this one in.

10 min later - Ok, so I grabbed the book of my shelf, read the back and some of the intro then decided to just look at page one to get the feel of it.. nope can't put it down, I'm reading this one right now, page two all ready had me re-read a line that I adore now.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kasia, so happy you're reading this finally! Can't wait to hear what you think about it. It's amazing. My husband, who is not really a horror fan, read it, loved it, and after all these years he still brings it up. We have some great laughs about some of the stuff that happens in it. I recently read where a sequel will be coming out.

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Tressa wrote: "Kasia, so happy you're reading this finally! Can't wait to hear what you think about it. It's amazing. My husband, who is not really a horror fan, read it, loved it, and after all these years he st..."

Awww Tressa, I feel like I just got a hug from you, I cant wait to discuss and even better if there's a sequel! :)

message 8: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I guess I need to read this.

message 9: by Kasia (new)

Jon Recluse wrote: "I guess I need to read this."

Yess! Btw I'm also reading Changes by Colyott, got a great recommendation from a really good friend :P

message 10: by Jon Recluse (new)

Kasia wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I guess I need to read this."

Yess! Btw I'm also reading Changes by Colyott, got a great recommendation from a really good friend :P"

That's what friends are for. Hope you enjoy it. ;)

message 11: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I'm in for this one. It's worth a reread.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments I'm in.

message 13: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments With three HA offerings this month, think I'll go with this one, since a number of folks whose literary opinions I respect have championed it in the past. I may not get to it till later in the month though, as I'm coming up on the halfway mark of 11/22/63, which means I still have almost 500 pages to go (not to mention a growing TBRASAP stack).

message 14: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) | 53 comments I'm in for this, though the Kindle version is nearly as expensive as a printed copy, so I'm waiting on a library loan. (Commenting now so I can follow the discussion.)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Why is this book still so expensive. I'm going to try to order it before May is over!! I don't have a library to go to, they started charging and I don't think so

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Abebooks has many copies cheap.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc...

message 17: by Kasia (new)

Such a good read, I keep laughing even though it's dark.

message 18: by Char (new)

Char  | 13645 comments Mod
Kasia wrote: "Such a good read, I keep laughing even though it's dark."

I'm glad you're reading this too, Kasia. I can't wait to hear what you and everyone else here thinks about it. I'm very excited about the sequel, because I enjoyed this book SO much. :)

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5683 comments Mod
I've read all this month's group reads except The Shuddering, but think I may re-read this one...just because. :)

message 20: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Gonko is brilliant when it comes to picking birthday presents. I wish I had that talent.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Gonko is brilliant when it comes to picking birthday presents. I wish I had that talent."

LMAO! I don't need to re-read to know what you're talking about there....

message 22: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments (view spoiler)

message 23: by Char (new)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Yep. True genius! :)

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Charlene wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Yep. True genius! :)"

After The Woodwitch, I'll be re-reading this one to refresh my memory ;)

message 25: by Kasia (last edited May 04, 2015 05:32PM) (new)

I'm only a third done but I am totally enchanted with this story, I even took my book with me to read on my commute. Such a jewel. I had to take the subway home tonight and I got some people taking a double look when they saw the cover, it was cute since I usually don't take paper books out of the house, their reactions were interesting.

message 26: by Latasha (new)

I down loaded the audiobook. Since I had to work a long shift today, I listened to a lot of it. I hate to be the one but I'm not liking it very much so far. Sorry : (

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I broke down and ordered the book today!!

message 28: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Kasia wrote: "I'm only a third done but I am totally enchanted with this story, I even took my book with me to read on my commute. Such a jewel. I had to take the subway home tonight and I got some people taking..."

I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature.

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I'm only a third done but I am totally enchanted with this story, I even took my book with me to read on my commute. Such a jewel. I had to take the subway home tonight and I got some..."

You need the paperback of this one...... ;)

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I thought this book took the road less traveled about halfway through. Not the type of book I thought it would be when the clowns first appear. A good read though.

message 31: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments You guys are really making me want to get into this one!

message 32: by Kasia (new)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature. "

Haha, there's a lot of clowns writing books out there.

message 33: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kasia wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature. "

Haha, there's a lot of clowns writing books out there."

I resemble that remark. :P

message 34: by Char (new)

Kasia wrote: "Walter wrote: "Kasia wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature. "

I resemble that remark. :P"
I do..."

I'm proud to be the friend of a nobody like you, Kasia. ;)

message 35: by Kasia (new)

Charlene wrote: "I'm proud to be the friend of a nobody like you, Kasia. ;) ."

Aww huggies :)

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kasia wrote: "Walter wrote: "Kasia wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature. "

I resemble that remark. :P"

I d..."

LOL! I had one of those a couple of weeks ago!

message 37: by Kasia (new)

Kimberly wrote: "LOL! I had one of those a couple of weeks ago! ."

Oh no, do share, which Gonko treatment did you serve him with?

message 38: by Jon Recluse (new)

Charlene wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Walter wrote: "Kasia wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I miss book covers. Especially for clown literature. "

I resemble that re..."

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kasia wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "LOL! I had one of those a couple of weeks ago! ."

Oh no, do share, which Gonko treatment did you serve him with?"

LOL! After very politely declining (I'm getting more selective now), he proceeded to inform me about how I was "missing out on the chance to be a part of something that was going to be PHENOMENAL!" This was followed up with how "famous" he was going to be....blah, blah, blah.
At this point I deleted the message without reading the rest ;)

I really need to check my settings to block these "unknown" stalkers....

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

But PILO! I should begin my re-read in a couple of days. :)

message 41: by Latasha (new)

I finished the audio book today. sorry guys but I didn't care much for it.

message 42: by Char (new)

Oh, Latasha! I'm bummed. :(

message 43: by Latasha (new)

It's ok. Don't be bummed.

message 44: by Maxine Marsh (last edited May 06, 2015 03:43AM) (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Kimberly wrote: "But PILO! I should begin my re-read in a couple of days. :)"

I'm glad this is a group read, maybe later this year we can read the sequel (don't click link to read if you haven't finished this book!)The Pilo Traveling Show: A Novel. Its due out September apparently.

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Maxine wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "But PILO! I should begin my re-read in a couple of days. :)"

I'm glad this is a group read, maybe later this year we can read the sequel (don't click link to read if you haven't ..."

It's already in my "shopping cart" at Amazon! ;)

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm glad this is a group read, maybe later this year we can read the sequel (don't click link to read if you haven't finished this book!)The Pilo Traveling Show: A Novel. Its due out September apparently. "

I've been waiting years for this. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

message 47: by Kasia (new)

Maxine wrote: "I'm glad this is a group read, maybe later this year we can read the sequel (don't click link to read if you haven't finished this book!)The Pilo Traveling Show: A Novel. Its due out September apparently. "

Oh thanks, you post a link that's tempting then you tell us NOT to click on it :P haha cant wait, Im going to try and find some time to read during lunch so I can get ahead.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments One of the reasons I kind of drifted away from GR is because of all these authors pushing their stuff in the threads and in my e-mail.

message 49: by Kasia (new)

Tressa wrote: "One of the reasons I kind of drifted away from GR is because of all these authors pushing their stuff in the threads and in my e-mail."

What? Omg let me at em!! I had to get a whole new gmail email just for collecting ebook junk from spammers.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I don't think I got as many e-mails as some of you who write so many reviews, but as a mod at HA I did get my share. But I got tired of authors worming their way into group read suggestions and polls.

« previous 1 3 4 5