Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sue's UK April

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Hello everyone - My first post since joining. I need to find a good crime series outside of the UK soon - any recommendations?

1. Time of Death - Mark Billingham: His characters can be very dark and frightening but his main character, DI Thorne, is so interesting and real he jumps off the page.

2. What She Left - T R Richmond - A young woman drowns - was she murdered or was it an accident? I thought this would be so good with the story pulled together from fragments of social media, letters etc. I couldn't connect with it at all.

3. The Death Season - Kate Ellis - the 19th in this series. Ellis is a master story teller and I love the history that she weaves into the modern day investigations.

4. Remember, Remember - Lisa Cutts - With the Author being a serving DC, this new series is authentic with some interesting facts around police procedural.

5. Snared - Ed James - So glad I have discovered Ed James this month. Fast paced with believable characters this was in the style of Iain McDowall with underlying moral issues raised - this one made you think about animal cruelty and whether the response by animal rights activists are the right ones or not.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments Sue wrote: "Hello everyone - My first post since joining. I need to find a good crime series outside of the UK soon - any recommendations?."

I enjoyed the first four books in the Wesley Peterson series by Kate Ellis but have not read one in quite a while. May have to put them back on the list.

Have you tried Arnaldur Indriðason's series set in Iceland? I think it is always excellent.

You also can't go wrong with Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series if you are looking for something set in the US.

message 3: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Thanks Sandi, I will try both of these. I used to read Brian Freeman and Richard Montanari. I had a bit of a dip in my reading but I'm definitely back on track and really love finding new crime series.

Kate Ellis' novels are still as good as the first few and there is one to download on Netgalley from her newer series.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Hi Sue! Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing your monthly books read in April. I am sure we can recommend a lot of good series for you to try and vice versa. I can see from your list that being a bit dark, and weaving history along with police procedurals are in your interest, not US or exactly a series, but have you read Tana French yet?
How much "gore" are you able to stand/enjoy in your novels?

Sue wrote: "Hello everyone - My first post since joining. I need to find a good crime series outside of the UK soon - any recommendations? "

message 5: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Hi Ann - I had a look at Tana French and her novels look interesting. I've added her to my to read list. I went to Dublin last year too so hopefully I can connect to the setting. Thank you.

message 6: by Melodie (last edited May 02, 2015 11:54AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Agree with Sandi on Connelly. One of my favorites is Robert Crais. His Elvis Cole books are top-notch stuff! And you can NEVER go wrong with Robert B. Parker's Spenser books!

message 7: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments You'll get a lot of suggestions around here.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Good month! And welcome! :)

I have Ellis's first book ready to go on my tablet. Right now I love Crombie's series.

message 9: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Thank you for the suggestions - I've got a lot of new authors on my to read list for May.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 08, 2015 04:45AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Hi Sue,

You've added a couple of series to my TBR!

I agree with the suggestions above, and have a couple more suggestions, if you can stand them.

The Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke (Louisiana, US)

The Three Pines series by Louise Penny (Canada)

The Department Q series by Jussi Alder-Olsen (Denmark)

So much good reading ahead of you! If you need the first book in any of these series, check out http://www.fictfact.com Although I guess Goodreads can help there too, LOL.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Hmm. I couldn't find Lisa Cutts or Ed James in other of my library networks, or on Audible, although I did find Ed James on amazon.

You remind me that I keep wanting to read Mark Billingham. A few of us have seen him in person at the Bouchercon mystery authors conference and he is a hoot. The plot of the first book (Sleepyhead) disturbed me so much that I put off reading him, though. I've reserved it from the library, maybe I have enough nerve to read it now, LOL.

message 12: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Thank you, I've got a good list for May and into June I think!. I do agree with you that Mark Billingham's criminals are creepy and dark. I do think that he's extremely good at building suspense and the writing can be scary. I just looked at James Lee Burke on Fantastic Fiction and he's first novel was 1987. I have a lot of catching up to do.

message 13: by Ann (last edited May 10, 2015 09:50AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments So, just curious, Sue: do you like to read series in order, or "have to" read series in order, or are you comfortable reading out of order?
With a long running series, such as James Lee Burke, will you jump right into the middle or at the end to test the waters, or simply try a stand-alone?
Another author suggestion for an excellent series is Dennis Lehane.
(Gotta get ready for July! Lol)

message 14: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Lloyd (SueLloyd) | 7 comments Hi Ann, when I looked at the list for the Dave Robicheaux series, I thought I should start somewhere in the middle. There's always enough back information given but I do really like to go with book one and then I changed my mind and put his first book on my TR list. Then each month I try to read a couple of new crime authors and a couple from a series - I think I will have a busy couple of months as Peter James and Stephen Booth also have their next series releases this month.
I've put Dennie Lehane's Coughlin on my list - the first one looks really interesting.