Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

OFF Topic > Food and Recipes etc

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Herein lies the food thread we thought of making, since the Food and Meals Customs in NL thread has got rather large and general!

I'll try some cutting and pasting from there too

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments "I'm not sure I've ever tasted leeks either.

Barbara, I know you despair of me ever getting puddings, gravies, and sauces straight! "

Hi Syb, lol at that last bit . Leeks are great, except they make the WHOLE HOUSE smell when you cook them , or at least I always do. They make great soup , with potatoes ( and bacon if you are not vegetarian) Can send you my recipe if you like .

It occurs to me chaps, that we might make a thread for recipes etc, maybe under Chit Chat . What do you think?

reply | editLoading trans | deleteLoading trans | flag *

message 202: by MaryC

Apr 27, 2015 02:22PM

I halfway remember helping make leek soup for one of those Welsh dinners, but I think my contribution was limited to boiling potatoes and adding canned chicken broth. The leeks must have been provided by one member at the dinner site, after we all took our various potfuls there.

Speaking of how leeks smell up the whole house, is anyone here acquainted with ramps? (Sylvia?)

reply | deleteLoading trans | flag *

message 203: by Peggy

Apr 27, 2015 04:04PM

MaryC wrote: "Peggy, do you put sugar in your corn pudding? And where are you from? (The same question is for anyone else who makes corn pudding.)"

Mary,
I do put a spoonful of sugar in the corn pudding; I am from Kentucky.

message 204: by MaryC

Apr 27, 2015 07:00PM

Thanks, Peggy! Any others?

The reason I'm asking is that, years ago, I walked into a discussion among some female colleagues about sugar in corn pudding. One, a white woman from Pennsylvania, was saying she didn't, and another, a local (Baltimore) black woman, was saying she did. When they saw me (West Virginia), they both asked whether I did, and I said "Yes, but I got my recipe from a black Baltimorean." I think the consensus was that south of the Mason-Dixon Line means sugar, and north of it means none.

message 205: by Peggy (last edited Apr 29, 2015 04:03PM)

Apr 29, 2015 04:03PM

Mary, this reminds me of the grits debate we had a few years ago. I think the consensus then was that southerners never put sugar in their grits while northerners occasionally did (the reverse of the corn pudding thinking).

Barbara, I like the idea of a food chat thread in Chit Chat if you want to open it

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I admit that I'm almost blind, but this whole thread looks very different to me. The messages seem to go from Barbara's first two in the new recipe thread and continue right into the old food thread. Did you do some shifting, Barbara? Anyway, I like the idea of the recipe thread, too.

I have never seen or tasted leeks but will look for them in an international market in Cincinnati. I'm sure I would love the smell as I love the smell of onions cooking, too.

Mary, I have heard of "ramps" but didn't really know what they are, so I went to Martha Stewart, and she had photos and descriptions for several of these veggies:
"Ramps are a wild onion, also known as a wild leek. Scallions are young onions harvested when their tops are still green, also called green onions. Spring onions have larger bulbs." She had no explanation for leeks - photos and recipes though!

Pegs and Mary, I'm really scrambled now. I'm a "northerner," born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon line, but I don't want sugar in my grits, and do want a sweet corn pudding.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited May 02, 2015 07:52PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Yes I cut and pasted Sylvia, and it looks a bit different . I hope that's OK, I wanted to preserve your original Food and Meal Customs in NL and yet give us space to talk generally about food and recipes etc.

I never heard of ramps before either , but I get the idea now . We always call the young green white long onion 'spring onions' here, no distinction made between them and scallions I don't think. Leeks look like huge spring onions really , only more or less straight up and down and not so noticeably 'bulbed' , and can be very big , though I usually try and choose smaller ones .

Did you know btw the way that leeks are the national symbol/plant of Wales? I have no idea why , though I have know they were since I was a child , must go and look it up!

Corn pudding sounds very exotic...and as for grits, well, that's Scarlett O'Hara territory to a foreigner !

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Corn pudding may sound exotic but it's basically corn thickened with eggs and milk and baked until it firms up. I have a simple form of it called corn bubble that can be made in the microwave if you want to try it.

Grits . . . great with eggs and bacon for breakfast. Or good for supper as grits and shrimp casserole.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Corn kernals?

message 7: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Edgar | 21 comments I didn't realise leeks weren't grown pretty much everywhere! I have some growing from seed now, mainly because you leave them in the ground over the winter and they look so good in a neat line in a winter garden. I do love looking over the fences at carefully tended allotments or vegetable plots - a sight Norah Lofts would have been very familiar with, of course!

I came across this fascinating article about Tudor vegetables recently:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/...

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Yes, Barbara, you can use canned or frozen corn kernels.

Katharine, what an interesting article; thanks for sharing.

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Barbara, I thought maybe the different-looking messages were your transitioning to the new thread. I enjoy going back to old threads, too, but this new one is already a very popular place!

Calling corn pudding "exotic" reminded me of your "Bubble and Squeak" recipe, Barbara, which Rychard and I dearly love.

I'm sure Scarlett would have loved her grits. It's a dish for the wealthy and the poor. It's just ground up white corn, boiled until it thickens. I think it's a quick fix when you're craving mashed potatoes but don't want the work. Just add butter, salt, and pepper. No syrup or sugar on grits for me!

Mary's Welsh group was probably cooking up their national symbol! Thanks, Barbara. I'm a quarter Welsh, but didn't know that fact.

Pegs, my corn pudding recipe calls for canned whole corn, canned creamed corn (as if there is any cream in it) and sour cream in place of milk. I think you need to put your Bannock Bread recipe on here. (a quick and easy skillet bread!

And now I'm going to Katherine's link. Thanks, Katherine.

message 10: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Re canned or frozen corn, I use canned and, because I cook with powdered milk, use the liquid from it to supplement the water I use in the powdered milk. It gives a richer corn flavor.

As for leeks, this site has quite a bit of information on their role as a Welsh symbol: http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/... On another site, I read that in Welsh the same word means both leek and daffodil, the national flower. And although the dictionaries I've looked in say that the word "daffodil" comes from Dutch "de asphodel," it's interesting that the flower not only has a name that sounds like that of the Welsh patron saint but also looks like a Star of David.

Sylvia, you're more Welsh than I am! I have an ancestor on one side who was born in Radnorshire and one on the other named Hugh Rice Morris, but the descendants of both kept marrying non-Welsh people. The reason I joined the Women's Welsh Club was that, when I saw a notice about it in the paper, I called a friend whose father and husband were both of Welsh descent, and she said, "I will if you will."

message 11: by Barbara (last edited May 04, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments In the spirit of Welshness, so to speak, herein is my own Leek and Potato soup recipe . I'm not precise with quantities , more of a 'handful of this' kind of cook.

2 or three leeks
4 or 5 medium potatoes
butter
oil
handful of parmesan cheese or several dollops of cream or Philly, or all 3 if you prefer
some milk or stock
chopped parsley ( can use dried )

Cut leeks into slices, all the white and as much of the green as you can .

Sauté leeks in in oil and butter, can just use oil if you like but tastes better with the mix.
At the same time, have the potatoes boiling in slightly salted water , having previously cut them into in smallish pieces. I don't peel mine , but you can of course.

When the leeks are browned and the whole house reeks of leeks, and the potatoes are parboiled, tip the leeks into the potatoes and continue boiling.

When done , mash the whole thing , or stab mix or even process , but be very careful to not overdo processing or the starch in the potatoes will go horribly glutinous . I prefer it just hand mashed , but I know many people prefer a creamy texture .

Anyway , then add your/cheese/cream/Philly plus milk to thin it down ( can use water or stock if you'd rather ) , finally the parsley.

If you want to make it non-vegetarian , you can add chopped bacon to the sauté-ing leeks.
It's nice with croutons, but then all soup is, isn't it ?

message 12: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Sylvia wrote: " I'm a 'northerner,' born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon line . . . ."

But Sylvia, you're still a West Virginian--and I bet that, being from the Northern Panhandle, you have some Fiestaware in your home. As for ramps, some places in the state (Ireland, in Lewis County, for one, and also Helvetia, in Randolph) have "ramp feeds" every spring. I understand that those who attend have VERY bad breath for days after!

message 13: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments BTW, didn't someone post a Scotch broth recipe here recently? I tried to copy and paste it, but my computer got contrary. Barbara, could you get it onto this thread? Please? <:)

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Here is Mirren's recipe:

Ingredients

250g/8oz carrots, peeled, diced

250g/8oz turnips, diced

2 onions, peeled, diced

1 celery stalk, diced

1 leek, white part only, sliced

75-125g/3-4oz pearl barley

125g/4oz dried peas, soaked in water for 4-5 hours, drained

salt and freshly ground black pepper

2.3litres/4 pints lamb or mutton stock, made from stewing lamb, like the neck. I always brown it first, it gives a better flavour. If you can't get lamb or mutton, you can substitute beef, although I don't think it's as nice.

85g/3oz kale, or leafy green cabbage, chopped (optional)

salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Preparation method

1.Heat all of the ingredients, except the kale, in a large saucepan until boiling.

2.Reduce the heat and simmer gently for a 2-3 hours, or until the peas and pearl barley are soft.

3.Stir in the kale and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, or until the kale is tender. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper

Serve with crusty bread and salad; yum !

Mirren.

message 15: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Thank you, Peggy--and Mirren,again! I was able to copy it this time.

Mary

message 16: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Sylvia mentioned "bannock bread" which I will post soon. I think a form of this recipe is called Native American fry bread.

Wondering how our members from Britain fix bannock bread as I think it was originally from Scotland?

message 17: by Sylvia (last edited May 06, 2015 03:59PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Hi Loftees! Peggy gave me her recipe for Bannock Bread about 4 years ago, and it was so good and so easy that I was making it every week, so I didn't keep the recipe, thinking I would always remember it. HA! So I need it again, too, Pegs. I did find several sites that gave their versions. The sports magazine, Field and Stream, called it a camping food.

Barbara's Leek and Potato Soup sounds so good - can't wait to get hold of some leeks and try it.

The Scotch Broth recipe above sounds more like soup to me, but in reading through the Welsh info. at the site Mary gave us in Post 10, a Welsh broth called "Cawl" is mentioned. I looked for that recipe (many sites) and it sounds similar to the Scotch Broth except that it also calls for rutabaga!

In Post 7, Katherine gave us a link to a great article about Tudor vegetables, especially about the "skerritt" which it quotes Pliny as saying it was a favorite of Emperor Tiberius. The Romans brought it to England, and it was a staple until the potato replaced it. The skerritt has multiple long slender roots that are "sweet and delicately flavored." They are still grown but are apparently hard to find now.

Mary, re: the Fiestaware - my Dad was a railroader and sometimes his crew picked up loads from the factory in Newell. I remember him talking about trainloads of dishes. There were other potteries in the area, too, but none were as successful as Laughlin. The Fiestaware was, I believe, designed to be affordable to poorer folks and institutions like hospitals and hotels and were sold even in the 5 and 10 cent stores, but now it is sold at Macy's, and the old pieces can cost $500 and up. I saw one rare green pitcher selling online for one million dollars! I only own 2 soup bowls...sigh. Do you have any?

message 18: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Sylvia wrote: "Mary, re: the Fiestaware, . . . I only own 2 soup bowls...sigh. Do you have any?"

I have a small teapot and two demitasse-size cups, and, in case you're ever near the absolute center of our beautiful home state, I got them at the outlet mall in Flatwoods--right off exit 67 of I-79. (OK, everyone, go ahead and tee hee about the fact that West Virginia has a town called Flatwoods. It's getting so upscale of late that it will soon have to change its name to Sylvan Plains.)

The café here in Baltimore where I often have lunch with some friends uses Fiestaware, and I think it's getting popular with those who want to support Made in the USA things.

message 19: by Sylvia (last edited May 07, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments If any of you watch the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" and see the brightly colored plates and cups they use, I read that it is authentic Fiestaware.

OK, Loftees, I'm going to try a Bannock Bread recipe tonight (Peggy's by memory - am so adventurous!) and will report, only if it is edible.

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments BANNOCK BREAD (a recipe taken from the internet)

1 cup flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4th tsp salt
1/2 cup water
oil for skillet

Combine all ingredients and stir. Will be a sticky dough. Let rise for 1/2 to 1 hour. Heat skillet and oil (I think you get a crustier bread with more oil.) Transfer dough to skillet. You can make one big loaf or divide as you wish. Your loaf/loaves should be about 1 to 2 inches thick. Fry on one side - you can see the dough cooking about half way through - then flip. Good with just butter!

I'm sorry to say that I was not "adventurous" because I just couldn't remember Peg's recipe. There were plenty on the net. Maybe Pegs and others will find theirs, and we can compare.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I don't mean to be "hogging" this thread, but I mentioned Bannock Bread to a friend, who said she heard of it being called "bannocks" in a book about Laura Ingalls Wilder's great grandmother, who lived in Scotland. I wrote in the Search Box "Bannocks mentioned in the "Little House" books and the first listing was the blog of an author, Melissa Wiley, who wrote 4 books about Laura's GG-ma, Martha Morse. A bannocks recipe was mentioned, but when I clicked on it, I was redirected to Archives, and I didn't know the appropriate date.

I didn't realize that so many other books had been published in the Little House style about Laura's great grandmother, grandmother, mother, and daughter. Ms. Wiley said that many of them are out of print now, but hers, which talk about the bannocks, are still available.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments I moved all the Laura Ingalls discussion n to Chit Chat, hope that's OK with posters..........

Now , does anyone have a tagine ? Or cooked in one? I have a tagine recipe book and I do cook Moroccan style food anyway , but I'm a bit hesitant to buy a tagine as they are not cheap and I wonder if a regular saucepan is not just as good . Though not so pretty of course !

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna | 143 comments I've successfully prepared Moroccan style food in a slow cooker and in a covered roasting pan in the oven. I ate chicken prepared by a friend in her tagine and found it to be dry. My recommendation: save your money.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Thanks Donna, I suspected as much - it just that they are such nice looking artifacts .

message 25: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Barbara, I've searched for info on the Tagline cookery - one article described it as "gourmet" so then I knew why it wasn't familiar to me (my first pan was an iron skillet), but I still didn't find much about it. And now that you've used the word "artifact" I'm in the dark!

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments https://www.google.com.au/search?site...

This is a good set of images Sylvia

message 27: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Thank you, Barbara. I may have had trouble finding them because I spelled it "tagline" instead of tagine. They are beautiful pots. Is there a vent in the top of the tall lid? I read that some have iron bases. Do you put them right on the stove burner?

message 28: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Sylvia wrote: " . . . now that you've used the word "artifact" I'm in the dark!

Sylvia, in case you haven't found out in the meantime, an artifact is anything manmade. No big thing! :)