You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > May 2015 Challenge Reporting! - Big Brother Says

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments For May, I want you to go to your bookshelf. Choose one of your favourite books, one of your 5 star reads. Then I want you to click on the book to go to the book's page.

When you are on your books page, and stop reveling in how good that book was (it's okay, we all do it), I want you to wander your mouse over to the "Readers Also Enjoyed" section in the top right hand corner of the page. Give it a click. Go on. You know you want to.

photo may 2015 1_zpssfv1vo00.jpg

Where you should end up (but I realise this is Goodreads and this can be unpredictable) is on a page that states "Goodreads members who liked *insert your book here* also liked:" and a list of 10-19 books below (number changes but there seems to be around these).

Right. Good hoop jumping. Welcome to the list you are reading off! Your mission for this month is to read one of these books on this list. Yay!

What I want you to do is to read one of these books. You can choose which one and any reason why. If the favourite you picked doesn't yield good results (one of mine only gave me books in Finnish for example, while interesting, not very useful for me) pick another and go from there.

photo May 2015 2_zpsopffn9ye.jpg

In this thread, tell us what book you chose to start with (your favourite) and what you chose.

In the reporting thread:

- Remind us of the book and the favourite.
- Did you like the new book? Give me a sentence (or more) on why.
- Do you think it was a good recommendation by Big Brother Goodreads? Was it similar? Was it as good? Was it completely unrelated and they all need to to have their head flushed out?

No points. I want you to rip into the recommendation system, both good and bad, read something awesome, and maybe knock off something you've been meaning to get to. Oh and enjoy.

P.S. It's only the books on the list. If it tells you a series but book 4 you can't read book 1. Only the books mentioned. So in my example above it recs Peter Grant #2, but I can't read Peter Grant #1. I'm sure there will be more P.Ss as time goes on...

P.P.S Told you!

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Serial Killer Challenge.
4. The book must be read between 1 May to 31 May (based on your own time zone).

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments I read The Crimes of Dr. Watson by Duane Swierczynski which was a recommendation from The Last Sherlock Holmes Story. I get recommendations from GR all of the times, based on books that I have on my Read shelf and most of the time, they are pretty good. I was a little disappointed with the book. It was a pretty weak story, but was a fun read. The reader is supposed to solve the mystrey with the clues given. The clues are in envelopes pasted on the pages and in the body of the text. It was meh. It was okay - just a little more juvinile than I wanted in a Sherlock Holmes story. I also was recommended Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography in the same book recommendation. I will read this one next.

message 3: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I read Loving Mr. Daniels which was recommended to me on three different books' "also enjoyed" lists:
Vain
Running Barefoot
A Different Blue

This turned out to be a very good recommendation for me. I had to make myself put it down on a couple of nights and go to bed. Ashlynn, a 19 year old high school senior, meets Daniel, a 23 year old musician, at a bar where Daniel's band is playing. There is an instant and undeniable connection between them that is sweet and beautiful. Both have suffered extreme hardships in the recent past and are obviously good for each other. At least until the first day of school when we discover that Daniel is the new literature teacher and Ashlynn is his student.

The two main character's were very interesting, but just as interesting were some of the side characters. The story was very emotional. It dealt with love, loss, friendship, death, family, and healing. While reading I would often find myself grinning like a fool, or biting my lip with anxiety, or holding back tears, and on a couple of occasions literally LOLing. My only negative towards the book is that the ending felt rushed to me.

message 4: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 600 comments I read Ashes to Ashes Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1) by Tami Hoag which was recommended because I read Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4) by Janet Evanovich . I enjoyed this book, but it seemed like an odd recommendation. Yes, this book was a murder mystery. However, the Stephanie Plum series is funny and light-hearted where this was more true crime. If follows an Victim advocate, FBI agent, and task force as they search for a serial killer. That being said, I like those types of stories as well. I was a little disappointed at how easily I figured out who the killer was, but there were still some surprises at the end. This is the first book in a series and I will probably continue the series and see how it goes.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1048 comments I read House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1 which was recommended because I liked Mushishi, Volume 1

House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1 by Natsume Ono Mushishi, Volume 1 (Mushishi, #1) by Yuki Urushibara

And while I liked the House of Five Leaves - a good story if a bit slow, it's completely different from Mushishi. House of Five Leaves is a historical fiction about a shy samurai who is slowly and and against his will drawn into a gang of kidnappers. Mushishi is a fantasy manga about guy who travels around and helps people who suffer from mushi (something between spirit/plants/animals)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Anna wrote: "I read House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1 which was recommended because I liked Mushishi, Volume 1"

Checking both of these out now. Glad you enjoyed your read though Anna. Glad it worked out with the slow start and the very different story.

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 06:48PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Amanda wrote: "I read Ashes to Ashes which was recommended because I read Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set"

Really? Not really a recommendation I would have made. Stephanie Plum to Gritty Crime. Glad you enjoyed it though!!

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Cherie wrote: "I read The Crimes of Dr. Watson by Duane Swierczynski which was a recommendation from The Last Sherlock Holmes Story. I get recommendations from GR all of the times, based on books that..."

Hope the second read is better for you Cherie.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "I read Loving Mr. Daniels which was recommended to me on three different books' "also enjoyed" lists"

Yay! Sounds like you found a good one. So happy!

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Having enjoyed Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City, I found that a book I already owned was on the recommended list. So, I read Skies of Fire. It wasn't a great book, but was entertaining -- I found it a fun read.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Barlow I read Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton which was recommended by Goodreads based on my liking of In the Woods by Tana French. I chose this one of the recommended books because a Goodreads friend had also suggested I might like it.

The recommendation by Goodreads was based on the investigating officer having a secret from their past which related directly to the case. And also probably because it was a British mystery, and In the Woods is set in Ireland. I did enjoy it, I'll definitely go on with the series, but it just didn't grab me like the Tana French story did.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Finished up with my first go at this challenge. I read Bellweather Rhapsody which was a GR "Big Brother" recommendation based on having read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I gave it 2 stars ( might have been willing to go to 2 1/2).

The story takes place at an old hotel during a high school musical conference/competition and is full of odd characters interacting with each other. And, oh yeah, the hotel was the scene of a murder-suicide of a bride and groom years ago and strange things are happening in that same room...and there's a snow storm so they're all stuck.

I'm not sure how this book connected to Mr. Penumbra and might not have picked it up on my own, but it was OK. If I have time in May I may try another of the recommendations I found when we started.

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Insert lots of ranting and wailing here!! I had almost a whole post written and Kaplooie - gone.

I read I Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson I Thought You Were Dead, which was recommended from A Dog's Purpose and The Art of Racing in the Rain. I had different expectations, but once I let those go I enjoyed the book. A few things came too easily, and a major plot point drove me mad, but I would have given it four stars for one part alone (which brings up various issues that I want to talk about but obviously can't, so Stephanie and anyone else interested, you'd better hurry up and read it).

BBGR did good - no head flushing needed. I Thought You Were Dead is definitely similar to Dog's Purpose and Art of Racing. Is it as good? No, but I'm not sure anything else will ever reach the level of those two.

The recommendation system is very inconsistent. Some books are great examples of "if you liked you'll also like", but others are as loosely connected as both having a female protagonist. The majority seem to be somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately that doesn't stop me from finding books to add to my tbr.

message 14: by Tasha (last edited May 11, 2015 05:45AM) (new)

Tasha The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton ===> A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1) by Bruce Holsinger

Well, my 5 star read gave me a list of a few that looked pretty interesting. I decided to go with A Burnable Book as my main choice bc I own the book however, I did try Fiercombe Manor(also known as The Girl in the Photograph) first bc it was a 2 week loaner from the library. That one was a flop. I couldn't connect with the book at all so I put it down.

I was excited to move on to my main choice, A Burnable Book. It started off pretty well. I did enjoy the scene setting which really gave you the feeling of medieval england and the mystery started out pretty interesting. The cast of characters for the most part were pretty interesting. However, not sure if it was my mood or what, but I just couldn't fully engage in it and thought it was a pretty solid 3 star read until I just got so bored by the end and couldn't wait for the story to be finished. I skimmed pages at the end and thought the mystery just got so unneccesarily convoluted and just plain boring. Ended up giving it 2 stars.

I don't think this one really had much to do with my 5 star book. The fact that it is hist fic is probably about the extent of the connection. Fiercombe Manor was probably a much better match/rec so I wish I would have enjoyed that one enough to finish it.

I am reading a 3rd one (I Shall Be Near to You) that was rec'd though and I'm hoping it's much better but other than being hist fic I don't see what the connection to The Miniaturist is either.

Great challenge as it got me reading 3 books!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn recommended Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

I chose to read Before I Go To Sleep because it has been recommended to me before and I just hadn't got around to it.

I thought the two books were very similar. I read them both in a day, both were page turning -thrilling rides, both about marriage, and both were written with the plot unfolding within journal/diary entries.

4 stars for this read.

So this time around, I think the Goodreads recommendation system did a good job. *thumbs up*

message 16: by Poongothai (last edited May 12, 2015 05:10AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 483 comments When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1) by Lorraine Heath was recommended because I rated Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2) by Meredith Duran 5 stars.

Both had a hero who is a widower and is deeply wounded because of the loss. Apart from that there was not much similarity in the books.

I have read books by both authors and like their writing style so I enjoyed this book too and it was a 4 star for me

message 17: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Tasha wrote: "Great challenge as it got me reading 3 books! "

Get that TBR! But hoping your next read is more on the money for you.

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Liz wrote: "Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn recommended Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

I chose to read Before I Go To Sleep because it has been recommended to me before and I just had..."

Looking this one up now. Glad you enjoyed!

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Poongothai wrote: "When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1) by Lorraine Heath was recommended because I rated Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2) by Meredith Duran 5 stars.

Both were quite similar"

So did you enjoy/like it?

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "BBGR did good - no head flushing needed."

I hate it when it eats my posts! Glad you enjoyed it. I do find it hard when you start with something you love, and then it's like "well that was good, just not *that* good". Possibly setting us all up for falls, but every now and then it might win. But still glad you got a good read.

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Susan wrote: "I'm not sure how this book connected to Mr. Penumbra and might not have picked it up on my own, but it was OK. If I have time in May I may try another of the recommendations I found when we started."

It's always annoying when you can't see the connection. But yay, challenge down. If you do get to another book, I hope it's better.

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Susan B wrote: "I read Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton which was recommended by Goodreads based on my liking of In the Woods by Tana French. I chose th..."

I have him on my tbr as well. Thanks for the heads up!

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Lara wrote: "Having enjoyed Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City, I found that a book I already owned was on the recommended list. So, I read Skies of Fire. It wasn't a great bo..."

Fun is always good too! Sometime you need fun.

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Rusalka wrote: "Tasha wrote: "Great challenge as it got me reading 3 books! "

Get that TBR! But hoping your next read is more on the money for you."

It is, I'm enjoying it much more than the others. Persistence... ;)

message 25: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Liz wrote: "Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn recommended Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

I chose to read Before I Go To Sleep because it has been recommended to me before and I just had..."

Did you know Before I Go To Sleep was made into a movie? I think it was a limited release in theaters, but it is available on DVD now. I started to rent it recently, but my husband hates suspenseful movies so I rented a comedy instead. I really liked the book so I'm curious to see how it translated to the big screen.

message 26: by Liz (last edited May 12, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "Liz wrote: "Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn recommended Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

I chose to read Before I Go To Sleep because it has been recommended to me before ..."

Oh, wow! No, I didn't know it was a movie. I'm actually not a very big movie person... I think my husband and I go to a movie MAYBE twice a year. We do have a thing for Saturday afternoon Lifetime movies, though. We only watch them because we usually make them into drinking games because they are so corny!

message 27: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments You are totally going to have to tell the rules of your drinking game! Lifetime movies are so corny and formulaic I'm sure you could get quite wasted no matter what your rules are! LOL.

message 28: by Cherie (last edited May 12, 2015 11:17AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments My second book from the GR recommendation of The Last Sherlock Holmes Story was Sherlock Holmes The Unauthorized Biography by Nick Rennison Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography and it was awsome! Another five star read. The depth and attention to "detail" was astounding and I loved every part of it. It could almost make one believe that the famous consulting detective and his Boswell were real people.

For my part, I think the GR recommendations lists are a great resource for similar books and titles.

message 29: by Stephanie (last edited May 12, 2015 11:22AM) (new)

Stephanie The recommendation of my favorite book, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein was Until Tuesday A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalván . I started reading this book about 3 years ago and only got through the first chapter. At that time, I couldn't get into the story and the writing was pretty blah.

Well, I think my liking of writing styles has changed because I really liked the book this time around and I actually finished it this time ;) I think it had to do with the fact that I could see a lot of my golden, Blake, in Tuesday. Of course Tuesday is very well trained but when he gets to act like a dog and have some fun, this is where I see my boy :)

I think the recommendation from GR was weird. It wasn't like the Art of Racing in the rain, where Racing is told from the perspective of the dog and Tuesday is told by the human. I think GR recommended it because they are both Goldens (well Enzo in Racing is a golden mix, but still ;-) )

Overall, I am glad I gave Tueday another chance and it is amazing how dogs really help people.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "You are totally going to have to tell the rules of your drinking game! Lifetime movies are so corny and formulaic I'm sure you could get quite wasted no matter what your rules are! LOL."

Hahah. We change the criteria depending on the type of movie... most often it's something like:

take a drink for:
someone slamming a door
stupid, ominous music being played
a mom crosses her arms in anger
obvious, stupid foreshadowing
sexual encounters
cops show up
etc.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Love the drinking game idea. That's one way to liven up cheesy films.

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Stephanie wrote: "The recommendation of my favorite book, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein was Until Tuesday A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalván. I started..."

The writing style was what turned me off. He would have done much better with an editor that would have tightened it up, or a good ghostwriter IMO.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie jaxnsmom wrote: "Insert lots of ranting and wailing here!! I had almost a whole post written and Kaplooie - gone.

I read I Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson I Thought You Were Dead, which..."

I just looked to read this next and it is not available at the library here ;-(

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Oh no Stephanie. Can you try an InterLibraryLoan?

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I looked the book up on the library website and it doesn't show any of the branches having it :( oh well. I'm going to go by the discount book store and see if they carry it :)

message 36: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments That is awesome, Liz. But I think if you tried to watch more than one of the movies in a day, you might end up with alcohol poisoning!

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "That is awesome, Liz. But I think if you tried to watch more than one of the movies in a day, you might end up with alcohol poisoning!"

truth.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Bilney | 288 comments I read Jessica based on are commendation from one of my favourite books, Tomorrow, When the War Began. I really enjoyed the book, and found that it hooked me in so that I just had to read a few more pages!

Even though I liked it, there is no clear strong link between the two books, besides the obvious fact that they are both set in the Australian bush and contain teen/young adult protagonists. There is a war theme in both, although Tomorrow is based in a near future version of Australia where we have been invaded, and the teens become involved in guerrilla warfare to survive, while Jessica occurs before, during and after the first world war and follows a family' secrets and betrayals. It's actually based on a real woman, which I thought was cool (and incredibly sad once you read the whole story.)

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1048 comments Rusalka wrote: "Checking both of these out now. Glad you enjoyed your read though Anna. Glad it worked out with the slow start and the very different story. "

There are also anime for both mangas. And Mushishi, anime is available on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_1O...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard a while back and absolutely loved it. It is one of my top reads for 2015. At first, I was going to read Rae Carson's newest work, but I wasn't paying attention to the release date. Since it's not going to be released until the end of September, I'm going to be reading The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh instead. It looks like an intense and intriguing read!

message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Stephanie wrote: "I looked the book up on the library website and it doesn't show any of the branches having it :( oh well. I'm going to go by the discount book store and see if they carry it :)"

InterlibraryLoan (ILL) is a program where libraries can borrow books from other participating libraries all across the country. Sometimes there is a fee and/or a mailing charge. I usually say I'll pay up to $2.50 if it's a book I really want to read. I once got a book from Phoenix, AZ. You should see is your library participates.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I will check it out! Thank you :-)

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 997 comments I started at Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant Come, Thou Tortoise and chose Amphibian by Carla Gunn Amphibian.

Both were 5 stars from me. Both were very amusing.

Audrey in Come Thou Tortoise has a low IQ but is nonetheless bright and witty. Phin in Amphibian is a brilliant 9 year old. Audrey has a pet tortoise but Phin would probably say No to a pet tortoise. He doesn't approve of exotic pets. He's very worried about global warming, deforestation and the red list of endangered species. He doesn't like it when the adults in his life tell him not to worry. It only makes him super, to infinity worried because no one is doing anything. On top of that his parents have separated and he's being bullied at school.
Phin is so cute I wanted to reach into my book and hug him tight.
There's a menagerie of fun animal facts too :P

Both books were fun but had a lot of heart. I think Big Bro was spot on here.

message 44: by Lanelle (last edited May 14, 2015 07:38AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments My five star read was A Fair Barbarian by Frances Hodgson Burnett. One of the recommended books was The Young Visiters, or Mr. Salteena's Plan.

I'm so glad that there wasn't a page requirement this time or else I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read this charming story. Well, actually, I listened to it. I found a wonderful recording on LibriVox. The narrator did a great job.

About half way through the book, I remembered that it was published exactly like the 9-year-old author wrote. It has misspelled words and wrong punctuation. I strongly suggest you either read or follow along.

I am amazed that such a young child could write such a book. And back in 1890. Incredible.

message 45: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 16, 2015 07:51AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments GR recommended One Foot in Eden because I gave A Land More Kind Than Home 5 stars.

I enjoyed One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash, which is his first novel. I have read and enjoyed several of his novels, but just overlooked this one until now. Set in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1950s, the backdrop of the novel is the imminent flooding of the Jocasssee valley to create the new Carolina Power Dam. Southern desires to adhere to tradition and the march of progress, therefore, come into direct conflict. Ron Rash describes this in horrifying detail in the way local graveyards are relocated by authorities; the graves must be moved before the area is flooded not only for sentimental reasons but because the coffins are filled with oxygen and will, therefore, break loose and rise to the surface of the newly flooded valley.

The crucial incident in the novel is the disappearance (and murder) of Holland Winchester, who is a veteran of the Korean conflict. His mother tells Sheriff Will Alexander that Holland has been murdered by their neighbor Billy Holcombe because Holland has been having an affair with Billy's wife Amy.

The book is narrated by the sheriff Will Alexander, Billy Holcombe, Amy, Billy and Amy's son, and the deputy. It is a murder mystery, but we know who committed the murder; the mystery is how he did the deed. Rash has written a lovely novel about how people interact with each other and an almost pitch perfect analysis of human nature. Telling a story from different points of view can be difficult for an author to pull off, but Rash tells each character's section in an authentic voice, playing out just enough of the story to keep the reader interested.

Beautiful, engaging and difficult to believe that it is a first novel.

message 46: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Blatchford | 26 comments My 5 star read was Jane Eyre. One of the recommendations for this book was 'North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

I loved this book. Jane Eyre had Rochester, North and South had John Thornton. These books really appeal to me. Love the setting, love the characters. This was also 5 stars for me. I also borrowed Cranford by the same author. The plan was I put both on hold then I would read the one that I got first. I have both and will now read Cranford. Can't wait!

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

message 48: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Blatchford | 26 comments Yes, I read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskill

message 49: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Sorry i was running past and wanted to add it before I forgot. I was adding the link in case anyone wanted to look it up and add it to their tbr. Glad you found a winner Cassandra!

message 50: by Lori Z (last edited May 15, 2015 10:57PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments My 5 star read was Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. The recommendation that I went with was A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World W ar II, which also happened to be on my tbr pile.

This was an amazing read that I also rated 5 stars. I feel it was an excellent recommendation of an incredible story of courage and compassion in World War II.

Funny story, while I was reading this I told my son he should read it (he loved Unbroken too). Well, he decided he couldn't wait for me to finish, and started reading it while I was sleeping, and zipped through it in about a day, apologizing every once in awhile for keeping me from my book, lol. In case you can't tell he loved it too.

This was a great challenge, and will have me looking at recommendations more in the future. (My poor tbr pile)

« previous 1 3