booksbooksbooks discussion

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)
This topic is about A Great and Terrible Beauty
MAY GROUP READ > A Great and Terrible Beauty

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 88 comments Mod
We had a tie this for this months group read! So you may either read this book, or the other book or both! It's entirely up to you. Just make sure you let us know how you liked it!

Happy reading! :)

Daisy I picked this up from the library today so I think I'll start it tomorrow. Excited!

message 3: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 88 comments Mod
Hope you enjoy Daisy!

Daisy So far I'm 154 pages into this book, and there's mixed feelings. For the first 100 pages, I didn't like it much - the storyline felt weak and the main character drove me crazy. I read another 50 pages today though and actually it's getting better. Hope it continues like this. :)

message 5: by Daisy (last edited May 18, 2015 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daisy I finished this book yesterday and still, mixed feelings. I had my problems with it, although most of it was really enjoyable, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where the series goes next.

For more detail on what I disliked about the first 100 pages, my main problems were that it felt like the author thought that the book wasn't long enough to include much description besides the positioning of furniture in rooms, but there was time for Gemma (the MC) to have an opinion on everything anyone said. Also, when asked a question, a lot of the time she would come up with smart, well-thought-out remarks in her head, but then not use them and just blindly do dumb things anyway! She didn't seem to have any self control and it was frustrating.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else who might be reading it this month felt the same about those first one-hundred pages. I do think these issues lessened considerably as the book went on and overall, I enjoyed the book. :)

message 6: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 88 comments Mod
I'm glad you enjoyed Daisy! Seems you are the only one to have read it..

Sophie | 49 comments I'm hoping to get this read this month. I might not get to it till the start of next month though. :/

message 8: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 88 comments Mod
It's alright. You can read it whenever! You just won't be able to discuss it on here.

Sophie | 49 comments I just finished reading this and I ended up giving it 4 stars. I agree with Daisy, the first 100 pages are definitely the worst.

My brain is very much resisting doing the word sentence thing right now so I'm just going to list some of my thoughts below. ;)

(view spoiler)

That's all I can think of right now. If I have any more thoughts, as I often do after mulling a book over for a couple of days, I'll comment them on this thread. The one final thing I do have to say is that I would recommend this book if you're interested, just keep in mind that both Daisy and I think it improves around page 100/150.

Daisy I agree with most of the things you said there, Sophie. Only I didn't really find Gemma annoying, excepting the first 100 pages of course. :)