Year of Cosmere discussion

The Emperor's Soul (The Cosmere)
This topic is about The Emperor's Soul
The Emperor's Soul Discussion > Day 97, Day 98, Epilogue: Day 101

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) We've reached the ending!! Congratulations and thank you all for taking part and being wonderful!

This is a fairly short one so I would love to hear how many of you still rated it highly and thought it was worth of the Hugo it has! Let me know your ratings below!

What would you rate the novella?
Would you say it's as good as his longer books?
Who was your favourite character?
What did you like best?
What (if anything) didn't you like?

Feel free to answer all, some or none of these questions and just discuss the novella as a whole :) You can also put links you your written/video reviews if you like :)

Thank you all for joining me (now come and read Elantris too - if you haven't already!)

Alreem | 10 comments I gave it this novella a 4 star, if it was a novel i would have given it a 5 star. I loved it so much but I think this novella would be better if it has more to it. I loved the old man in this book, he sound like a real teacher :) and the magic was what I loved the best about this book. in short this novella was soooooo good :D

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Alreem wrote: "I gave it this novella a 4 star, if it was a novel i would have given it a 5 star. I loved it so much but I think this novella would be better if it has more to it. I loved the old man in this book..."

:) Very glad you liked it, I often feel that way when it comes to shorter books, I always want more, but I still loved the story and characters of this one :)

message 4: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments As expected, upgraded to 5-stars upon reread.

My review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

As much as I would have liked a novel with these characters and magic system, I actually think that the length of this story is perfect!

Nicole (nicolepo) I read this in basically one sitting, which is how I usually read novellas. I rated it 5 stars, it's really an excellent novella. I don't think this idea would have worked for a longer story. Most novellas have a single major plot thread, as this story does, and I feel like adding subplots into this would have muddied the story without adding much.

My favorite character was Shai, and the magic system here was very cool. It's one of the more technical and intricate magic systems I've seen in Sanderson's writing and I liked the time he took to develop and explore the rules and implications of Forgery.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Nicole wrote: "I read this in basically one sitting, which is how I usually read novellas. I rated it 5 stars, it's really an excellent novella. I don't think this idea would have worked for a longer story. Most ..."

I'm glad you really liked it Nicole and I have to say I totally agree with your points! :D The magic was very cool and intriguing!

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I read this in two sittings. I would have preferred it to be a little longer as well, but I did think the story fitted well as a novella.

I loved the magic system as well! It's so unique and well thought out. I probably prefer his full length novels, but still really enjoyed this. Four stars.

Claudia | 2 comments I really enjoyed the magic system it was very unique and intriguing! I thought that the length was perfect for this story. Even though could have read more :)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 33 comments I truly enjoyed this, especially the incredibly intricate magic system. The characters felt very real and I loved understanding each side character through Shai's very perceptive eyes. The only thing it lacked for me was the surprise at the end I am now expecting of every Sanderson's book. It wasn't a bad ending at all, and if I think about it it was fitting for a novella. But I wasn't surprised at all, and I missed that. Still, an amazingly fun read.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Sarah-jane wrote: "I absolutely adored this story. I thought it was so beautiful, I loved the growing and shifting relationship between Shai and Gaotona and the idea that we can only become what we already perceive o..."

I completely agree that Legion was not even on the same level, whereas The Emperor's Soul was fab! Glad you liked this one more than Elantris :D

Sophie | 54 comments The more I think about this the more I like it. I didn't take to it straight away but I think that was because I haven't read many novellas and I was in the wrong frame of mind. I haven't read many short stories/novellas and I was expecting the ending to be abrupt and unsatisfactory. Luckily that was not the case! I gave this book 4 stars.

Nicole (nicolepo) Sarah-jane wrote: "I absolutely adored this story. I thought it was so beautiful, I loved the growing and shifting relationship between Shai and Gaotona and the idea that we can only become what we already perceive o..."

I listened to Legion on audio when it was free on audible a few months back. I think my ratings were the same as yours, legion was nowhere near as good as The Emperor's Soul.