Year of Cosmere discussion

The Emperor's Soul (The Cosmere)
This topic is about The Emperor's Soul
The Emperor's Soul Discussion > Prologue, Day 2, Day 3, Day 5, Day 12

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty G Books (last edited May 02, 2015 01:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Hi guys!!! Welcome to the discussion for The Emperor's Soul! As always please don't post any spoilers for other books/ the ending of this book, only talk about the chapters listed as the topic name and those before :)

With that said, hi!! It's Kaitlin here and I'm taking over #yearofcosmere for May where we'll be reading The Emperor's Soul and Elantris. You do not have to read them in a particular order, but just be aware that there are some slight similarities to watch out for as it's also set on the same world as Elantris.
If you want to read the books in chronological order then Elantris came out first so maybe you want to try that first, but in my opinion both are awesome in their own right.

I'm sure many of you know that with The Emperor's Soul Sanderson won the Hugo award and LOTS of people have to vote to give you one of them, so you can guess it's a pretty awesome story! I myself gave it a 5*rating and I can't wait to hear all of your thoughts whilst you're all reading it so feel free to talk about everything you read (just in the right topics :)

Let me know what you're excited about with this one!
Is it good to have a shorter Sanderson for comparison?
How do you think it will compare?
Do you often read shorter fiction?

Good luck and I can't wait to hear all of your thoughts soon! :D

message 2: by TS (last edited May 01, 2015 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments I read this very shortly after Words of Radiance and the resultant Stormlight hangover might have affected my enjoyment of The Emperor's Soul (I gave it 4-stars).

I am a bit past the halfway mark of rereading this book, and I have a feeling that it's definitely getting upgraded to 5-stars.

Alreem | 10 comments I'm taking my way to understand who the magic in this book works, but I'm liking the idea so far and it sound really great. :)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Alreem wrote: "I'm taking my way to understand who the magic in this book works, but I'm liking the idea so far and it sound really great. :)"

I hope you enjoy it as it goes on!

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) TS wrote: "I read this very shortly after Words of Radiance and the resultant Stormlight hangover might have affected my enjoyment of The Emperor's Soul (I gave it 4-stars).

I am a bit past the halfway mar..."

:) I definitely can see how Stormlight into this could be a little less than 5*s but if you give it a more 'fair' chance as a singular story now maybe that will boost it up for you :)

Nicole (nicolepo) I started The Emperor's Soul this afternoon and this is my first time reading it. I like it so far. It's been a long time since I read Elantris, so I'm hoping there aren't too many references to that book as I probably won't get them.

message 7: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments Nicole wrote: "I started The Emperor's Soul this afternoon and this is my first time reading it. I like it so far. It's been a long time since I read Elantris, so I'm hoping there aren't too many references to th..."

Don't worry, there are completely no references to Elantris.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Nicole wrote: "I started The Emperor's Soul this afternoon and this is my first time reading it. I like it so far. It's been a long time since I read Elantris, so I'm hoping there aren't too many references to th..."

Yeah, it's literally just linked by being on the same world, nothing else really links :) Just enjoy it as it is :)

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssasulsberger) | 6 comments I have a bind up of Legion and The Emperors Soul. Is Legion a part of the Cosmere books? When should I read it?

message 10: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments Alyssa wrote: "I have a bind up of Legion and The Emperors Soul. Is Legion a part of the Cosmere books? When should I read it?"

Legion is not a Cosmere book as it is based on Earth. It's also not in the reading schedule for this year as far as I can see.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Alyssa wrote: "I have a bind up of Legion and The Emperors Soul. Is Legion a part of the Cosmere books? When should I read it?"

As TS says, Legion is actually just a novella written by Sanderson and it's not Cosmere related so you don't have to read it :)

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssasulsberger) | 6 comments Yay! I thought so - just wanted to make sure. I'm excited to read something else form Brandon Sanderson that isn't fantasy. I though since I'm already picking up The Emperors Soul I might as well finish Legion too.

TS wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I have a bind up of Legion and The Emperors Soul. Is Legion a part of the Cosmere books? When should I read it?"

Legion is not a Cosmere book as it is based on Earth. It's also not ..."

Kaitlin wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I have a bind up of Legion and The Emperors Soul. Is Legion a part of the Cosmere books? When should I read it?"

As TS says, Legion is actually just a novella written by Sanderson a..."

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 33 comments I'm absolutely loving this so far! Shai is wonderfully sassy and clever! And I enjoy the other characters as well, even though they aren't as well developed yet. But what I love most about it is the magic system. I love how Sanderson always manages to give us magic that id so intricate and organic. It's never just there "because I said so", but it always has physical laws and complex workings behind it. So great!

Sophie | 54 comments Raquel wrote: "I love how Sanderson always manages to give us magic that id so intricate and organic. It's never just there "because I said so", but it always has physical laws and complex workings behind it. So great! "

I completely agree! Too often in books authors use magic as an excuse. 'Oh how can this character do this? I know, magic!'

To start with I wasn't really enjoying this (it felt to me liked it leaped into a world I knew nothing about and so I didn't care) but then I decided to read it aloud and I started paying more attention and now I'm getting into it a bit more.