Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Monthly Book Reads > Birdsong - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments War and Travel

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments People can also look at comments on this book here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
I think I might take a page out of the previous time this book was read and read it over two months since it is longer and I am trying for all 4 of this month's reads. I also might add my comments to the already-established post. I don't want to read too many of them to avoid spoilers!

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just started this. Looking forward to getting further in. This is one of my favorite historical periods to read about.

message 5: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Oh, Hi Kirsten! I just finished this one and am really looking forward to a discussion with you! How far are you?

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Huh. Goodreads says because I'm reading Birdsong, I might like Vampire Academy. Methinks they might like to fix their algorithm just a touch.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Kaycie wrote: "Oh, Hi Kirsten! I just finished this one and am really looking forward to a discussion with you! How far are you?"

Just say your note there. I'm only done with Part 1.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Huh. Goodreads says because I'm reading Birdsong, I might like Vampire Academy. Methinks they might like to fix their algorithm just a touch."

LOL! I also think that they should take ratings into account with the recommendations -- I get recommendations based on books I gave 1 or 2 stars (although I suppose it might be useful as an anti-recommendation!).

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just finished reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The novel is immensely readable. However, it is not the best novel on the subject of World War One (The Great War) I have ever read.

If you only read one novel set during the War To End All Wars, may I suggest you read A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry instead.