Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Monthly Book Reads > May 2015- Nostromo

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments War and Travel

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I will be reading this but not until the second half of the month.

message 3: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Excellent! I was going to start it, but I might try to fit in the Graham Greene novel first (its fairly short), and read this in the second half of the month with you.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Kaycie wrote: "Excellent! I was going to start it, but I might try to fit in the Graham Greene novel first (its fairly short), and read this in the second half of the month with you."

Sounds good :)

message 5: by Kaycie (new)

I read part 1 of this book, and so far it is a struggle. I read one other Conrad - "Heart of Darkness" - and had a hard time getting into the story as well.

"Nostromo" is jumping around so much that it is hard to really pin down what is happening for me. This isn't helped by Conrad's writing's ability to put me to sleep. Sheesh!

Weirdly, I think I'd like the book if I could get into it a bit more. The plot, at least about the silver mine and the corrupt politics involved, does appeal to me.

We'll see how part 2 goes, and I hope the time-line hopping settles down. I am getting time-traveling whiplash just reading it!

message 6: by Kaycie (new)

How is anyone doing with Nostromo?

I finally finished, and thankfully, the second part of the book was much better for me than the first! It still wasn't quite enough to make me like the book as a whole (the first half was a very serious struggle for me!), but at least it redeemed it a bit!

Other thoughts?

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I had a bit of a reading slump during May so I didn't get to this. I will try to read it sometime soon and report back here though...

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

This isn't the best book for a slump either...at least for me. The first half was really hard for me to get through. Take your time :-)