Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Moonstone
This topic is about The Moonstone
Wilkie Collins Collection > The Moonstone - NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (last edited May 01, 2015 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of The Moonstone. If you wish to discuss the plot, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you are looking for a free online version it can be found at the following sites:
Project Gutenberg
Amazon UK
Amazon.com
LibriVox audiobook

Happy reading!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Pink, that is very sweet of you to post the links where readers can find free eBook and eAudio editions of the book. :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I have a peevish complaint:

I hate the way in which this book is divided. I looked at the TOC before I began to read.

Very strange.

I like to make lists of chapters in notepad on my iPhone (where I do most of my reading) and tick them off as I complete them. Since I usually read eBooks, making lists of chapters is a way to really see in a meaningful way how far along I really have read. Grrr

Sarah Andrea, do you mean the narrative sections? Where it changes characters voices? If it's that, it actually does get to where you're anticipating the climax of each section and it ended up being well done.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Sarah I guess I'm thrown off a little in the beginning because I didn't understand what they were (narratives).

Now I think that different characters get to tell what they know about what happened.

Sarah I was confused too, but I was able to flip through the book. But I kept reading the description on the back of my book to try to figure out what was going on. I ended up racing through the book, especially once I got used to it. I hope it works for you. I liked it because reading the whole thing through in one POV would have gotten terribly tedious.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'm still really early in the book.

The butler just finished his narrative.

I think that the changing POV will keep things interesting.

Sarah His is the longest. Have fun :)

Pink | 6556 comments It sounds like this book can get a bit confusing, though I think that's a common thing with books of this period. I'm actually planning on reading it in a couple of months time, as I'm currently listening to The Woman on White and don't think I can read another Wilkie Collins at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it though.

Nathan | 421 comments The use of multiple first-person narrators was what I liked best about this book. I liked the technique in The Woman in White even more. I was hoping Collins used this technique in a lot of his writing, but I found this on The Moonstone's Wikipedia page:

The Moonstone represents Collins's only complete reprisal of the popular "multi-narration" method that he had previously utilised to great effect in The Woman in White.

Bummer.

Bram Stoker used multiple first-person narrators in Dracula, which I love despite it being incredibly sexist (all of the male characters treat Mina like a beloved potted plant rather than a human being).

Does anyone know of other classic novels that use this type of narration?

message 11: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments I think this is used in Frankenstein and As I lay Dying, can't think of anything else right now that uses multiple first person narrators. Epistolary books would probably fit this category.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think that I heard that Dangerous Liaisons is an epistolary book.

April Munday | 277 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "I think that I heard that Dangerous Liaisons is an epistolary book."

Andrea, yes it is. It works rather well.

April Munday | 277 comments I forgot to say how much I like The Moonstone. I only reread it a couple of years ago, so I'm not participating. Sgt Cuff is so dry.

If you're interested and can get hold of it, the BBC did an adaptation for radio a few years ago which is rather good.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'm enjoying Miss Clack.

What an awful woman!

Sarah I was wondering how you were faring. :) I wanted to strangle her for about 40 pages and then finally saw the humor. What a truly awful relative.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Clack is just a terrible person.

message 18: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments I've been reading this book from 21st/22nd May and I found the beginning a bit slow. or may be it was my own inability to concentrate. but after the disappearance of the Moonstone the story picked up pace.

message 19: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments I'm done with Gabriel Betteredge's narrative. now Clack is telling her story

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments The book does have s rather slow beginning.

message 21: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments while reading Betterdge's part, did anyone else think that Rachel needed a good tight slap??? I found her spoilt. And at the end of the first period I was almost convinced the that Sergeant Cuff is right.

message 22: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments But now that I'm reading Clack,even Rachel seems nice. Clack is simply UNBEARABLE.

message 23: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "The book does have s rather slow beginning."

yeah!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I couldn't stand Rachel. That girl had her mother completely trained.

Although Clack is odious, she was entertaining.

message 25: by Aritri (new) - added it

Aritri | 19 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "I couldn't stand Rachel. That girl had her mother completely trained.

Although Clack is odious, she was entertaining."

true

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9336 comments Mod
Reading this now for my F2F book group -- just finished chapter IX and loving it.

Susan O (sozmore) Just getting ready to start chap XVII. So far it's great.

message 28: by Nargus (new) - added it

Nargus | 567 comments Susan wrote: "Just getting ready to start chap XVII. So far it's great."

Good to know, Susan! I'm intending to start it soon :)

Renee | 864 comments I'll be joining in also. It's sitting on the shelf waiting for me, and I'm really looking forward to starting it. This will be my first Wilkie Collins book. I'm hoping to start tomorrow.

Wreade1872 | 792 comments I'm glad some people are enjoying it but i thought it was pretty terrible myself.
Then again the mystery genre is not exactly a favorite of mine at the best of times :) .

message 31: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie | 84 comments I'm joining in as well and have just finished chapter VIII. So far, I'm enjoying it.
Also, I'm looking forward to the discussion :)

message 32: by Nargus (new) - added it

Nargus | 567 comments I actually picked this up during October, but had a slight detour. The detour was caused by the mention of Robinson Crusoe in the early pages of The Moonstone. Too paranoid to risk spoiling anything about Robinson Crusoe, a book I was intending to read, I put down The Moonstone and instead picked up RC. I doubt The Moonstone spoils anything about RC, but oh wells, that's me.

Now, I've finished RC, and I'm back to reading The Moonstone! It's intriguing so far!

message 33: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments I don't blame you not wanting to be spoiled, though I don't think classics are too bad at doing this (unlike modern book introductions).

I hope you enjoy the Moonstone.